Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Market

Options
  • 11-04-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I am never able to get to this due to work, just wondering if people could post up their opinions and the different stalls which are there, as i would like to start making the effort to get there early to buy some local produce:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

My personal favourite is the Beantree Curry stand. For me its the main reason for going to the market. Also its nice accompanied by a bagel or pretzel from the guy beside Boychik Doughnuts. You'll find that most of the stall holders are very friendly and if like me your visiting each week, you'll find they remember you and might give you that bit extra becuase of it.
    Also the Falafel stand (Gourmet Offensive) is quite good too. Theres a smaller but albeit just as varied makret in Moycullen town on Fridays from 1-6pm if that suited you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Re Galway Cirt Market
    Where and when is it?

Saturdays , 9am roughly to 4/5pm but give or take on the start and end depending on the weather. Sometimes theres a good turn out on Sundays too. All located around St. Nicholoas Church in town so go have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

thanks for that, do you have a street name? (so I can find it on yahoo maps)

(new to Galway you understand)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Cant help you out with a street name, just near its off the top of Eyre square. Made it to the sunday one once and really rated it. Plus the Saturday trading hours sounds a way better then the Limerick one(7.30 - 1pm) Well worth the effort

• Advertisement

According to Yahoo maps it's called Churchyard Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I wouldnt say it's just off Eyre square, birdie. Walk down shop street past MCdonalds, easons, boots etc and its drum down a lane on your right beside the massive church you cant miss. As far as Im aware it is called Market Street..some of the flats etc around there have that address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It' Churchyard St, and runs around on to Market St.
    Loads of good stalls...my faves are the olive folks, the muffin lady, the honey man with Burren honey and the craic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Excellent info guys

the only few times i have been there have been in the evenings. Im just wondering are there stands for selling products such as eggs, veg, fish, fruit etc?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Foods range from the fresh fruit and veg stalls, where the stall holders often throw in fresh herbs or some extra items for good measure.

Then there is the quality gourmet stands selling about 20 different types of olives, fresh pasta, cheeses, home made relishes and sauces.

http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/shop/cc/market/

157249666HVrdCT_ph.jpg
    galway-market-300x225.jpg
    870379289_47d7fdc211.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice to see Warty Nora does her shopping there too, good photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's sometimes a guy selling eggs.

I'm not so keen on the produce stalls: they don't display prices and the approach to weighing/pricing seems very, shall we say, "interesting". But if you're not tight about cash it's fine.

Quite like some of the craft stalls for getting presents to send overseas though.

Oh - and if it helps, there's a smaller version (with more gourmet stalls) behind the church in Oranmore every Thursday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

+1 for the Beantree stand. ;)

Try their vegetarian curry (€3.50) with a chapati (€0.70).
    If you ask for it to take-away you'll get it in a rectangular tin, instead of a cicular tub... I'm convinced you get much more but this has been debated amoung friends and the jury is still out pending scientific comparison. (If mr curry man is reading, i do actually take it home!)

Mick's crepe van is well worth a visit too!

There are several vegetable stands and they tend to be v good value and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yellow Stall. Krishna curry, samosas from heaven with lovely chutney.
    That, the crepe place and Bean Tree have big queues but are worth it!
    The former being MY fave tho, by a mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Just to add its open bank holidays too

EDIT: Samosas FTW

Their bagels are delicous. I especially loved the Boer (sp?) rolls too.

Advertisement