Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shakepears presentation of the supernatural

Options
  • 11-04-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    i've an essay to write over easter and i don't have a clue where to start, its discuss shakspears presntation of the supernatural in the play macbeth... our teacher thinks its quite a possibility for the leaving cert so can anyone give me an odea what on earth this question is about??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Just discuss the supernatural...

Most of it is evil. There's many examples like the witches, prophecies, Lady Macbeth selling herself to evil, eternal darkness, breach in the natural order, more prophecies etc.

There's a few good though like the divine right of kings, Edward the Confessor and those are the only ones I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Ah, Cian Hogan... Just mention the question words in every paragraph.
    In general, do you think he's gonna have us ready for the LC?? I mean we've got like 4 classes left and we've only done a few essays. :eek:
    I hope his tips are pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ah, Cian Hogan... Just mention the question words in every paragraph.
    In general, do you think he's gonna have us ready for the LC?? I mean we've got like 4 classes left and we've only done a few essays. :eek:
    I hope his tips are pretty accurate

He teaches french doesnt he? Is he your teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

A good thing to discuss would be equivocation in the play and how things arent what they seem.

' FAIR IS FOUL AND FOUL IS FAIR ' and all that jazz....

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

omg STOP!! and NO i do not think so, we are watching another part of that god damn dvd for the next class. i mean wtf???????:confused:
    it is such a waste of time, when he said we were going to be watching it in the next class i was thinking grand ill go to study and actually learn something but for second half of the class we will be doing sample essays supposedly.
    not being a bitch but i would have picked pmc again as had him last time and hes really good but hes only teaching drama to people that had him in 5th year , im thinking im not going to get more than 30 out of 60 for the macbeth question in the lc cause im sooo not prepared
    and as far as the 'tips' are concerned he has gone from saying we will have prepared at least one of the questions that comes on the lc up to we will have done something pretty similar but not the same.he said to us didnt i tell you before that i would have you well prepared for the mocks and the question i prepared came up, but he knew what was on the friggin paper!! he only prepared the question a week or two before and if i hear we are going to discuss the role of the witches or read about macbeths character one more time im gunna cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If I were doing that essay I'd take the following topics and do a paragraph or two on each:

The Witches
    Lady Macbeth's evokation (is that even a word?) of supernatural forces to "unsex" her so that she may become less feminine.
    The use of Pathetic Fallacy after Duncan's Murder...then link it too...
    The link kings had with divinity, killing Duncan was killing the divine

For an intro I'd write about how the Supernatural heightens the evil in the play by presenting powerful visions of evil, but also compelling visions of good (Edward the Confessor) which juxtaposes good and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

11 years since I studied Macbeth for my leaving but is not one the opening scenes the one with the witches - 'hubble bubble, boil and trouble' Did that set the tone for the whole play. The other part that sticks in my mind is Lady Macbeth 'out damn spot, out' - when she is trying to wash herself clean of evil acts committed. Sorry if I'm not much help.

leesmom wrote: »
    omg STOP!! and NO i do not think so, we are watching another part of that god damn dvd for the next class. i mean wtf???????:confused:
    it is such a waste of time, when he said we were going to be watching it in the next class i was thinking grand ill go to study and actually learn something but for second half of the class we will be doing sample essays supposedly.
    not being a bitch but i would have picked pmc again as had him last time and hes really good but hes only teaching drama to people that had him in 5th year , im thinking im not going to get more than 30 out of 60 for the macbeth question in the lc cause im sooo not prepared
    and as far as the 'tips' are concerned he has gone from saying we will have prepared at least one of the questions that comes on the lc up to we will have done something pretty similar but not the same.he said to us didnt i tell you before that i would have you well prepared for the mocks and the question i prepared came up, but he knew what was on the friggin paper!! he only prepared the question a week or two before and if i hear we are going to discuss the role of the witches or read about macbeths character one more time im gunna cry

Yeah, I was so annoyed when sympathy came up on the mock. They picked literally the least likely possible question. :mad: Yeah, people say PMC is good but I heard from somebody in that class that the only one they had done for the mock was the deception one. I guess we're all screwed. I usually get B1s in Cian Hogan's essays but I haven't anything learned. I'm kinda hoping I can get 50/60 in the LC without actually knowing the text that well but with good exam/essay writing technique. Which is actually possible, thats the mark I got in the mock. I'm so disillusioned with English, its such a stupid exam.
    Still not as bad as Dennis Creaven. "Dear Derek Walcott, I'm a very lucky student; lucky because you are on my poetry course."
    I mean, seriously??? I would never write stuff like that, even if I was guaranteed an A1. I don't know why people think he's so great. Its actually sick that he is thought of as one of the best english teachers in the country.
    Rant over!

JSK 252 wrote: »
    He teaches french doesnt he? Is he your teacher?

Yeah, he teaches English and French in the Institute and Killians

did cian hogan not say that the above question was on the mock but lusby changed it cause it was difficult or something???
    ill be struggling to make up my own poetry answers from books and stuff because if everyone writes the exact same answer i could see us all doin very bad dont they penalise if the whole school has the exact same answers or no??!!...we never get homework either in poetry, just tests every month or so, in the last walcott test i just wrote exactly what he gave us and he gave me a b2 and hes telling everyone to write that in the leaving cert!! i got an a2 when i made up my own bishop answer, so i dunno what to do at this stage!
    im the exact same i get a's and b's in the macbeth essays but i mean it takes me a week to write them, and i use bits of notes so if i was to write those without the book id be struggling to write a page and a half:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

leesmom wrote: »
    did cian hogan not say that the above question was on the mock but lusby changed it cause it was difficult or something???

:eek:
    I really really hope thats not true. Yeah, Dennis Creaven's notes are shockingly bad, I only use them to read the poems. I made up all my own so far and got a1s in the tests. I'm really screwed if Bishop doesn't come up though, thats the only one I know really well. I think the Keats classes after the holidays are optional because he thinks Keats is too complex for most people. He's so condescending!! Telling people their interpretations of the unseen poems are wrong and stuff. He needs to retire...
    Back to that essay, he probably wants reference to the Polanski version. I think you can still use it even if the question doesn't say "referring to a version you've seen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

I'd also mention the dagger and the appearance of Banquo's ghost.
    Are they supernatural occurences, or products of Macbeth's 'heat-oppress'd brain'?

And of course the 'supernatural soliciting' of the witches should take up a lot of the essay. Between their prophecies, their potion, chanting, familiars, flying, etc. they are responsible for the majority of the supernatural element of the play.
    Their powers are evident; but limited. 'his bark cannot be lost'.

Also Hecate merits a mention,being the witches' superior.

Edward possessed certain powers too, being endowed with the gift of healing.

There's so much to go on, the play is steeped in the supernatural!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

:eek:. i totally agree! far be it from me a humble student to agrue with the might Tute but seriously i feel very uncomfortable with the whole english course!

Paper 1 is just a disaster (haven't learned at thing all year!), Poetry just angers me(DCR can be incredibly condescending), Macbeth: the essays I've done have been a patchwork of Cian notes (and if those titles don't come up i'm screwed!) tbh Comparative is the only one i feel ready for (mainly because there is only 3 types of essays) and Cathy Sweeney is incredible organised and on the ball with all of her classes.

Plus i'm a little worried that if in poetry i sound like a 10yr kid, Macbeth i sound like a medieval scholar, comparative i sound like an analytical nerd and in paper 1 well.... i think the examiner will think i'm a schizophrenic:rolleyes:

I'm hoping that since i got a B1 last year, i can possibly go down but...it is a whole new course so..:confused:

poppy08 wrote: »
    :eek:. i totally agree! far be it from me a humble student to agrue with the might Tute but seriously i feel very uncomfortable with the whole english course!

Paper 1 is just a disaster (haven't learned at thing all year!), Poetry just angers me(DCR can be incredibly condescending), Macbeth: the essays I've done have been a patchwork of Cian notes (and if those titles don't come up i'm screwed!) tbh Comparative is the only one i feel ready for (mainly because there is only 3 types of essays) and Cathy Sweeney is incredible organised and on the ball with all of her classes.

Plus i'm a little worried that if in poetry i sound like a 10yr kid, Macbeth i sound like a medieval scholar, comparative i sound like an analytical nerd and in paper 1 well.... i think the examiner will think i'm a schizophrenic:rolleyes:

I'm hoping that since i got a B1 last year, i can possibly go down but...it is a whole new course so..:confused:

Yeah, i'm looking for a B1 too. Cathy Sweeney is great, I have her for language too. I'm guessing you have Lusby? Had him in 5th year, learned my lesson then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Yeah, i'm looking for a B1 too. Cathy Sweeney is great, I have her for language too. I'm guessing you have Lusby? Had him in 5th year, learned my lesson then :rolleyes:
    yup:(..thing is someone recommended him to me...(note to self kill said "friend").

didn't know she taught language! (minus the blue tights) she rocks!;)

I'm magically hoping that it'll all just come to gether at the end.... like in other subjects......atleast i've still got hope...

cathy sweeney is a good teacher and very organised, theres no messing around like some of the teachers, one in particular who is always late which really pisses me off as we only have this teacher once a week. lusby is crap i had him for language and king lear in 5 th year and at the end of 5 th year i dont think i was even able to name any of the characters(apart from lear obviously!) he just read the play in the old english without telling us what it was about:confused:
    dcr is very good to me so i dont like complaining about him but its very hard to get through to him at times..:rolleyes:
    anyways i think im going to pass on this macbeth question, for the amount of time it will take me to write its not worth it, ive other subjects that are probably more important at this stage:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

For those who can't be bothered to read through the text and interpret.

http://www.freeessays.cc/db/42/sra177.shtml

(http://www.google.com/search?q=the%20supernatural%20in%20macbeth)

You're welcome.

Advertisement