Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photobuddy thingie ideas

• 11-04-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

This is just something I'm going to throw out there and if there's interest I'll set it up formally on Expeditions.

I was in Howth last night until after dark playing with slow exposures, at the far end of one of the piers. It's not very well lit. One of the things that went through my head is that while it's probably not that dangerous, if I'm doing more stuff like that I'd really prefer not to be on my own.

I know that we have the loose arrangements with photo-outings or such but I was wondering if it was worth doing something so that if someone decided they wanted to do some photography somewhere isolated, possibly really early morning or very late night, they could see who was geographically concerned and give them a call to say "I want to go bouncing flashes off the Martello tower after dark, interested?" so that you have someone to watch your back and your gear. And that we could make it that if you were out of town, there might be a local boardsie to give something a shot.

This idea is germinating because, for example, sNarah said she might do Baltray with me, for example. Maybe facilitate other links. And possibly use twitter to do it. I'd like it to be sort of short noticeable if you like.

Make any sense? Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've thought of something like that before, particularly looking at some of the photos people get after dark.

One possible solution is a "private" google map, where people can mark their rough location and username. Distribute the link via PM (to avoid the world and his wife having access to it).

So let's say I live in Ballygobackwards - I stick a pin in the village with "Thoie" marked on it. At some later stage, Calina wants to go shooting at night around there, so she looks at the map, notices I'm in the area and gives me a shout. I could also put things like "free weekend evenings, weekday mornings" so that people are aware that I'm unlikely to go out at 2am on a Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Great Idea !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Jap... I can see where you are coming from! I have had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago in Julianstown, details here, where I would have been more comfortable with a buddy to tag along.

I've also been spotting around some abandoned warehouses & cottages but I'm a big scardy ass and afraid to go at it by myself (strange location, angry looking locals etc.).

On the other hand, most of my photo expeditions are very impulsive (as in 'extremely short notice' but then again if someone was interested in shooting somewhere in Co.Louth/Meath, I would defo tag along! And twitter is as handy as can be for these matters I find...

So yes, Great idea, curious where this tread will lead to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Thoie wrote: »
    I've thought of something like that before, particularly looking at some of the photos people get after dark.

One possible solution is a "private" google map, where people can mark their rough location and username. Distribute the link via PM (to avoid the world and his wife having access to it).

So let's say I live in Ballygobackwards - I stick a pin in the village with "Thoie" marked on it. At some later stage, Calina wants to go shooting at night around there, so she looks at the map, notices I'm in the area and gives me a shout. I could also put things like "free weekend evenings, weekday mornings" so that people are aware that I'm unlikely to go out at 2am on a Wednesday.

Actually, that's a terrific way of putting it. I like googlemaps - I'm using them on the abandoned boats project anyway. I was thinking a thread in expeditions (probably a sticky anyway). I'll look at setting up map after I've eaten.
    sNarah wrote: »
    Jap... I can see where you are coming from! I have had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago in Julianstown, details here, where I would have been more comfortable with a buddy to tag along.

I've also been spotting around some abandoned warehouses & cottages but I'm a big scardy ass and afraid to go at it by myself (strange location, angry looking locals etc.).

On the other hand, most of my photo expeditions are very impulsive (as in 'extremely short notice' but then again if someone was interested in shooting somewhere in Co.Louth/Meath, I would defo tag along! And twitter is as handy as can be for these matters I find...

So yes, Great idea, curious where this tread will lead to!

I appreciate the short notice thing - that's why I was reckoning on twitter. Might be worth looking at putting a label together for impulse boardsie photography treks. We don't advise posting things like phone numbers or emails on boards generally.

Calina wrote: »
    Actually, that's a terrific way of putting it. I like googlemaps - I'm using them on the abandoned boats project anyway. I was thinking a thread in expeditions (probably a sticky anyway). I'll look at setting up map after I've eaten.

Just PMd you one as an example of what I was thinking of.

For those who aren't Calina ( ;) ) what I was suggesting is using a blue marker to mark my general home location. Clicking on the blue marker shows my user name, with a comment about my likely free times. Then I added a pink marker (randomly) as an example of "This is somewhere I'd like to go" and then added a note where people can add if they're interested in going there or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

also been thinking the same lately, there;s plenty of places I'd like to go but for safety (what if accident) or security (dodgy people) I wouldn';t go on my own,

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I love this idea, as I don't get to go out much as I am very nervous by myself and hubby isn't too much into coming along!

Just had another idea - you could also (if you wanted) make some mention of your equipment (eg, Nikon DSLR) so that if you're stuck you could try cadge things from people near you, or that if you're going out together you could try other equipment. You could also perhaps note "driver/non-driver" which might help people hook up as well. Though I may be getting to complicated now.

Okay.

There is a post in Expeditions for this.

Thoie, we might keep it relatively simple for now and see if it takes off for this.

On the other hand, I sort of think you have an interesting idea with the places to go map. I am thinking about putting together a resources thread for Expeditions and may stick the map in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

monopods are also useful for protection.....

• Advertisement

I can see your point - this is why Security in Rennes made me check mine in once.

However, we don't advocate violence, do we?

oh and shouldn't you be getting ready for a really long walk tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Calina wrote: »
    I can see your point - this is why Security in Rennes made me check mine in once.

However, we don't advocate violence, do we?

oh and shouldn't you be getting ready for a really long walk tomorrow?

of course we wouldnt advocate violence

and yes, mad long walk tomorrow. Leaving Dublin at 8am for Drogheda and then walking to Navan by the river with a few friends. Bringing camera so I can hide my exhaustion and ave a break using the excuse "oh can we wait a minute while I take a photo - long exposure of course !"

long exposure => carrying tripod.

Hmm.

at least you've an army of photobuddies with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great idea, very interested!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

It is sad they way parts of this country are going. As a landscape photographer who travels the country I am always cautious when shooting early on the east coast. I nearly always bring a friend wth me.
    At this stage I have a number of close calls, all on the eastern coast between Dublin & Louth. For example I was in Portrane parked in a car park over looking the beach at 6a.m one morning about two weeks ago on my hunkers getting a shot. I happened to look up and in the distance see to yobs about to break into my car.
    I fired a flash gun in their direction yelled and they legged it.

Got a good image though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I like this idea, I dont scare easy but it is always nice to have another person around for comforts sake. I usually take the hound along but he has a habit of running into the shot.
    I went to the local park yesterday trying to get a few macro shots of a bees nest only to be met by a bunch of yobs racing a stolen car. Then to top it off got back to the car to find it had been broken into.
    As i am not a club person this could also be a way to share ideas.
    i would be in fo his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Great idea lads! I've added myself.

Advertisement