Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog for a widow

Options
  • 11-04-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

My dad january and we got my brother got my mam a minature jack russell just to keep her conpany and preoccupied, he was only a few weeks old when we got him, anyway, he got killed out on the road on wenesday and my mam is devestated, like myself, the dog was just to keep her company and give her some feeling of protection, now shes headed off to england for a few days just to get away from it all but i want to get her another dog, dunno if this is even a good idea, can anyone recommend a good dog breed that will give her a sense of security?? do you think i should even bother replacing it??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I'm very sorry to hear your dad passed away, it must be a very difficult time for your family.
    You really need to talk to your mum about replacing her dog, I think the worst thing you could do would be to have a new dog waiting for her when she gets back - you need to wait until/if the time is right for her.While she's gone it might be a good idea to secure her garden so that if she does get another dog it won't get out on the road. Losing the dog has probably brought up loads of emotions from your dad's passing all over again which is why she's so overwhelmed.
    My mum lives alone too and had a border collie whom she doted on. The dog died just after Christmas and mum hasn't felt the time was right to get another dog until now - she's still looking for one. She always thought the dog gave her a sense of security but after it died she realised the feeling of security came from the company of the dog and not that it could be a guard dog.
    Basically what I'm saying is wait a while, talk to your mum and that unless your getting a recognised guard dog, some dog who'll make a bit of noise if someone calls but who's friendly to your mum and easy to manage would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think you've got to include your mum in the decision. After what happened to the puppy, she may not be ready emotionally to take on another dog.

She definitely doesn't need a guard dog... I think one of the guarding breeds would be too much for her - they're big and powerful dogs. And remember, they may be a guarding breed, but that doesn't mean they'll make a good guard dog! I know a lot of Rotties and German Shepherds that would just bound up to an intruder and lick their face! The only useful aspect of these breeds in terms of personal protection (unless they are trained guard dogs) is that a lot of people find them intimidating.

I think you should focus on the right pet for your mum. I think what she needs is a good little watch dog - not a guard dog - and lots of dogs of all shapes and sizes will fill that criteria. Anything yappy will deter an intruder because it makes a lot of noise. Jack Russells make great little watch dogs, as do many of the small breeds.

I would agree with Munster Gal on securing the garden first though. Quite apart from the dog's safety and welfare, your mum would be so upset if the same thing happened again with the new dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Or if you live in Dublin, suggest going up to the DSPCA (obviously if she's open to the idea of a new dog). I got a kitten there after my old cat passed away, and knowing that I was giving a lil bundle of fluff a new home really helped me misplace any kind of "replacement" guilt I'd been feeling. :)

Advertisement