Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs/accomodation in Perth

Options
  • 11-04-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am just finished college and will be moving to Perth for a few months on a year long visa in august and was looking for info on good areas to live? Money will be tight so looking for a place that wont be too dodgy but also close enough to transport that can take me to the city. Also on the job front, I will have graduated with a degree in commerce so ideally looking for a job in finance but will take really anything...so if anyone has any idea of how easy a decent job will be to get please let me know...Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you want somewhere close to the train line then I can recommend maybe 20 areas at least to check out. You could probably get a house share for around $100 a week. Might have to pick up a bit of furniture and that but it'll cost you feck all really.

Your degree will count for a lot loss because you're on a visa. Companies won't want to hire and train you only for you to have to leave after 6 months. It's a stumbling block for all Irish looking for that kind of work. You might get a job in a bank if you're very, very lucky as they do take visas but it'll be tough.

The job scene is getting worse here with so many people getting laid off and a huge influx of Irish coming over. The two factors combined are making it a lot harder for people to get jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I wouldnt recommend coming anywhere near the west coast tbh.

Go to sydney or melbourne. thats where i've seen most of the jobs. i've been out of the job here in perth for over a month. theres a bloke that sleeps on our sofa here coz hes pretty much homeless and eats dinners of nutella on bread.

so ye, stay east. or at least look at the aussie job sites BEFORE you book your ticket to make sure theres jobs here in WA first.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

I'd stay away from Perth aswell man, Its a beautiful city but its impossible to get work. I've been looking for work for 2 months with no look and i've met so many backpackers with the same problem. Nobody wants to take on someone on a WHV. Its total bull****! So fed up of rejections at this stage!!:mad::mad: I'm going to give it another week and it looks like fruit picking for me then!!:mad: If i can get that:confused::confused:

Advertisement