Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches in Clare

• 11-04-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any "horse friendly" beaches in Clare? (i.e. Sandy, not rocky, beaches etc.)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's quite a few, not sure if they'd be suitable during the busy periods, but there's point to points on a lot of beaches during the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The best beach for a horse is Doughmore near Doonbeg. A gallop of a mile and a half as long as the tide isn't in fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Horses are generally allowed on beaches in Co.Clare apart from the peak time which is, I think, 11am to 6pm in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flan45

Talks of banning them in Doughmore. Very distracting for the golfers I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Is that the beech that doonbeg gc are trying to get right of way closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

golden wrote: »
    Is that the beech that doonbeg gc are trying to get right of way closed.

Yeah, thats the one. There isn't any problem accessing the beach by the controversial right of way, as the golf club have made a path beside the old entrance. Anyway if you are bringing a horse it's better to enter by the main entrance which is on the south end of it.
    All the surfers use the controversial entrance. I often use it myself actually.
    Car parking is better at the south entrance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Thanks, Im not from Clare (wicklow originally moved down here due to a guy!!!) but love that beech for walking my dog, and use that right of way.

Advertisement