Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come on!! Defend your prices South Irl Retailers

Options
  • 11-04-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I have my belly full of this rip off state. I was looking at recession bustours web site and it confirmed what i was thinking. Prices in the south are a joke. this is from their site..

Some price comparisons:

North v South

Easter Eggs £5.00 €10.00

Pampers mega box £12.00 €34.99

Ikea Kitchen £876 €3000

32inch HD TV £200 €549

Brand name Potatoes £0.99 €5.99

Barry's Tea bags £2.00 €5.00

Wolf Blass Chardonnay £5.00 €12.05

750ml vodka bottle £11.50 €23.00

Dyson Vacumn cleaner £195.79 €519.99

Surf washing powder £3.00 €8.29

McCain homefries £2.00 €5.95

24 bottles kronenberg beer £7.00 €20.00

Colgate toothpaste 2pk £1.00 €3.40

Pedigree chum dog food 6pk £2.00 €5.60

Sanex deodorant £0.99 €2.99

Lynx shower gel £0.99 €2.50

If you are a retailer. Come on here and explain the difference.

Posties You can do your own research. Look at the Lidl or Aldi web sites. Open Aldi or lidl .ie in one tab and aldi or lidl .co.uk in another. look at the weeks specials and compare, add 10 or 12 % to your Euro for sterling and prepare to be awed!!

COME ON PEOPLE LETS MAKE THIS CHANGE!!! We need to keep the jobs here with fair pricing!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have my belly full of this rip off state. I was looking at recession bustours web site and it confirmed what i was thinking. Prices in the south are a joke. this is from their site..

Some price comparisons:

North v South

Easter Eggs £5.00 €10.00

Ikea Kitchen £876 €3000

32inch HD TV £200 €549

Posties You can do your own research. Look at the Lidl or Aldi web sites. Open Aldi or lidl .ie in one tab and aldi or lidl .co.uk in another. look at the weeks specials and compare, add 10 or 12 % to your Euro for sterling and prepare to be awed!!

COME ON PEOPLE LETS MAKE THIS CHANGE!!! We need to keep the jobs here with fair pricing!!!

Are you actually planning on posting brand names for some of these thing sor should we guess?

Did you pick the cheapest place in the north for the 32" TV and the most expensive here? I've seen 32" hdtv's for a lot less than £549 here.

Who is selling an ikea kitchen for €3000 down here? Or is this again , an ikea kitchen you buy flat packed Vs ringing a kitchen company and haveing them supply and fit a kitchen?

I've seen Voka in Lidl cheaper than €23.

Are "brand name potatoes" the same brand? If not then they are not the same.

"easter eggs" is also very vague.

I've seen Dysons in expensive shops for under €300 off the top of my head, may well have been less.

I've never seen frozen chips for as much as €6 , are you useing Spar or Centra for the comparison price?

If your comparing things you could at least do it properly and compare the cheapest here Vs the North.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

not entirely defending ireland being a rip off as in many many cases, ie the kitchen there in particular, but take these factors into consideration.

minimum wage is 3 euro more per hour here currently, there is a 6.5% difference in VAT and only recently has our euro gone so far up north with the weakening of the pound.

edit, and lidls vodka is 17/18 quid, ive bought it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are you actually planning on posting brand names for some of these thing sor should we guess?

Did you pick the cheapest place in the north for the 32" TV and the most expensive here? I've seen 32" hdtv's for a lot less than £549 here.

Who is selling an ikea kitchen for €3000 down here? Or is this again , an ikea kitchen you buy flat packed Vs ringing a kitchen company and haveing them supply and fit a kitchen?

I've seen Voka in Lidl cheaper than €23.

Are "brand name potatoes" the same brand? If not then they are not the same.

If your comparing things you could at least do it properly and compare the cheapest here Vs the North.
    Argos Email a friendPrint page

LG 32in 32LG2000 HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview. 529/3599
    Save Over €100.00
    €399.00 was €491.99
    Ex. PRF €391.00
    PRF €8.00

Email a friendPrint page

LG 32in 32LG2000 HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview larger imagesLarger image
    Save Over £100.00
    £299.00
    was £399.99

Argos Email a friendPrint page

Save Over €100.00
    €399.00 was €491.99
    Ex. PRF €391.00
    PRF €8.00

Email a friendPrint page

LG 32in 32LG2000 HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview larger imagesLarger image
    Save Over £100.00
    £299.00
    was £399.99

1. Argos is a UK company
    2. Do you tink they have a representative here ready to answer your price query? If your unhappy about their prices compared to the uk, contact them.
    3. Just becaus eargos have it at that price doesnt mean thats the price everywhere in Ireland.
    4. That price is €399, you said it was €549

As for Lidl/Aldi prices. As you say, open their site. Then go to the recruitment page (only 1 of them gives amounts) and see the difference in wages they are offering. €58k here Vs stg£ 40k in the UK for the graduate program.

1. Argos is a UK company
    2. Do you tink they have a representative here ready to answer your price query? If your unhappy about their prices compared to the uk, contact them.
    3. Just becaus eargos have it at that price doesnt mean thats the price everywhere in Ireland.
    I think you are missing the point my friend. Or are you a retailer?

• Advertisement

I think you are missing the point my friend. Or are you a retailer?

Yes, I am Mr.Argos.

Is your point that 1 particular company is around €60 more expensive for a tv? Even though in your OP you gave the price as stg£200 Vs €549.

Heres the recruitment part on Aldi btw for the graduate program.

Aldi.ie

http://graduates.recruiting.ie.aldi.com/

"All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of €60K plus car and fantastic career prospects"

Aldi UK

http://www.graduates.aldirecruitment.co.uk/

"All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of £40K plus car and fantastic career prospects"

I know we have some extra costs here in the south. Rent and wages. BUT it does not add up.

Argos is a UK company in Ireland like most of the shopping centre retailers. Like Next, PC world, H&M . I could go on for hours. If they dont have representative in Ireland, Fair play to them setting up business and running it from afar.

Heres the recruitment part on Aldi btw for the graduate program.

Aldi.ie

http://graduates.recruiting.ie.aldi.com/

"All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of €60K plus car and fantastic career prospects"

Aldi UK

http://www.graduates.aldirecruitment.co.uk/

"All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of £40K plus car and fantastic career prospects"
    So now you get the point. we are all paying millions of euros to pay a few managers thousands. A few hundred managers in ireland and their company cars do not explain the difference between a Aldi hover in the south for 90 euro and the north for 69 pound

Any retailers wanna come on down??????

• Advertisement

So now you get the point. we are all paying millions of euros to pay a few managers thousands. A few hundred managers in ireland and their company cars do not explain the difference between a Aldi hover in the south for 90 euro and the north for 69 pound

It's not just the managers. Hourly rate starting in Aldi uk is stg£8 ph. Here its €11.20.

Either way. They dont have to justify anything. They can sell everything for 100 times the price here if they want.

It's not just the managers. Hourly rate starting in Aldi uk is stg£8 ph. Here its €11.20.

Either way. They dont have to justify anything. They can sell everything for 100 times the price here if they want.
    |Thats OK only if we take it. Its time to say NO. You have screwed us too much for too long. give us normal prices, thats all we ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

|Thats OK only if we take it. Its time to say NO. You have screwed us too much for too long. give us normal prices, thats all we ask.

hi Brian, Im a retailer no qualms about it, now I cannot comment on the Non Food side as I'm a grocery retailer.

Just one point before we go on, Aldi and Lidl here are been highlighted as Dsicount retailers but as you have pointed out the comparison between north and south is 10 to 15%, so does the fact that their price differences justify the title as discounter in the south if they have the same price variance as me.

Ok apart from wages,rent and all that been more expensive in the south I will give you an actual live comparision.

SMA baby food attracts 0% VAT in both countries. In the north the equivalent euro retail price is about €8.50. SMA them selves only recently put through a price decrease from €12.50 to now €9.99 and that is sold into me at the new price of €9.Tesco are currenty selling for about €7.50 but that wont last long they will revert to €9.99.

Now thats the exact same product, maybe out of two different factories but I get mine from Wyett Ireland in Clondalkin. I cant buy it from the UK so can you please explain to me how im a rip off?

I have a vodka for €12 and can get one for €10 if asked for cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

South Irl ? Never heard of Southern Ireland myself, must visit there some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

hi Brian, Im a retailer no qualms about it, now I cannot comment on the Non Food side as I'm a grocery retailer.

Just one point before we go on, Aldi and Lidl here are been highlighted as Dsicount retailers but as you have pointed out the comparison between north and south is 10 to 15%, so does the fact that their price differences justify the title as discounter in the south if they have the same price variance as me.

Ok apart from wages,rent and all that been more expensive in the south I will give you an actual live comparision.

SMA baby food attracts 0% VAT in both countries. In the north the equivalent euro retail price is about €8.50. SMA them selves only recently put through a price decrease from €12.50 to now €9.99 and that is sold into me at the new price of €9.Tesco are currenty selling for about €7.50 but that wont last long they will revert to €9.99.

Now thats the exact same product, maybe out of two different factories but I get mine from Wyett Ireland in Clondalkin. I cant buy it from the UK so can you please explain to me how im a rip off?

I have a vodka for €12 and can get one for €10 if asked for cheaper

It appears to me it is the suppliers to the retailers here which are ripping people off. Before the sterling loss in value, SMA ready mixed cartons where selling for 41p in the north and 99c here. Even when the rate was 1.5 euros to the pound it was still a lot cheaper to buy that particular product in the north.
    The blame is not the retailers but the retailers supplier in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I know we have some extra costs here in the south. Rent and wages. BUT it does not add up.

Argos is a UK company in Ireland like most of the shopping centre retailers. Like Next, PC world, H&M . I could go on for hours. If they dont have representative in Ireland, Fair play to them setting up business and running it from afar.

It does add up. If it didn't add up then someone who wants to make some money (there are a few around) would move in, undercut everyone, and steal all the business. Nobody has; even Aldi and Lidl the renowned discounters haven't managed an overnight monopoly, and they're already coming under fire for not being 'competitive' with their stores in other countries. If someone could do it cheaper someone would; that's the way free market economies work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Alan Rouge wrote: »

A lot of people from northen ireland refear to the republic as southern ireland. i know your being sarcastic but thought i'd say anyway lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Alan Rouge wrote: »

The picturesque South of Ireland is famed for its relaxed pace of life and outstanding natural beauty. Encompassing the counties of Carlow, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford. Go there some time, you'll find a warm welcome.

i Touch 8 Gig
    • Pixmaina 199 Euro
      Argos Uk 165 pound = 184 Euro
      Argos Irl (south lol) = 219 Euro 196 Pound

Don't mean to hijack this thread but.. seriously?

€11.20 an hour? Is that starting wage for normal staff, or for managers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Weepsie wrote: »
    edit, and lidls vodka is 17/18 quid, ive bought it!
    So have I, for €8/9 here in France. That is not a misprint. I know it's all excise duty and vat but isn't that a scandalous difference? It's not as if the French Govt aren't taking their chunk out of the €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nivea Shaving Conditioner:

Argos Ireland €9.49

J McKenna Listowel and their one solitary shop €7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

OK, here is a good one. I've been looking to get a netbook and I've been doing some price comparisons.

Samsung NC10 from Pixmania.ie = €507 inc. VAT
    Samsung NC10 from Pixmania.co.uk = £329 inc. VAT

Using today's rate of 1 GBP = 1.11508 EUR it works out at €366.86. That a full €140.14 more costly to buy the same product from the same company in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some price comparisons:

North v South

Easter Eggs £5.00 €10.00

Ikea Kitchen £876 €3000

32inch HD TV £200 €549

Come back with the wholesale prices and you would not have even started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

€10 Easter egg? Even our local rob-yer-blind SuperValu was selling them two or three for €5.

I agree with Rubadub - get yourself a wholesale price-list to find out where the true robbery occurs - also lists from importers, distributors etc- they've all got peg-legs and parrots.

I'm not a retailer - just a poor accountant. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

OK, here is a good one. I've been looking to get a netbook and I've been doing some price comparisons.

Samsung NC10 from Pixmania.ie = €507 inc. VAT
    Samsung NC10 from Pixmania.co.uk = £329 inc. VAT

Using today's rate of 1 GBP = 1.11508 EUR it works out at €366.86. That a full €140.14 more costly to buy the same product from the same company in the ROI.

Hi Fanny. Your Irish link is actually for an NC20 (a larger machine than the NC10) so you're not comparing like with like there. I can't find an NC10 on the pixmania site but elara have a blue one currently on sale for €358.43 and the black ones for €363.29 and white ones for €360.86. I was faced with the option of getting a NC10 from the UK slightly cheaper a couple of months ago and went with elara in the end because of ease of collection and return. Plus they have a rep and sub-forum around boards.ie that gives further moaning options if anything goes wrong, lol. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1106 So far, so good, though! The fact I'm making the effort to type this up to stick up for an Irish company that's offering good value should tell you something about them.

White: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1623358
    Black: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1617255
    Blue: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1623359

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 jancav

I recently bought a Dyson hoover in NI for £145. Sneakily, you can't get the exact same model in Ireland, you have to buy a 'more feature rich' one for €299. But they both suck up the dust !

Also, I wanted to buy a cooker up in NI but Dixons have stopped selling them out of their shops, you have to have them delivered, to an address in NI of course! The reason for this is that their shops in Ireland are charging at least €100 more for the same cooker.

So it's really the UK wholesalers and retailers are pi**ing themselves laughing at us stupid Paddies buying stuff from them at rip off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Hi Fanny. Your Irish link is actually for an NC20 (a larger machine than the NC10) so you're not comparing like with like there. I can't find an NC10 on the pixmania site but elara have a blue one currently on sale for €358.43 and the black ones for €363.29 and white ones for €360.86. I was faced with the option of getting a NC10 from the UK slightly cheaper a couple of months ago and went with elara in the end because of ease of collection and return. Plus they have a rep and sub-forum around boards.ie that gives further moaning options if anything goes wrong, lol. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1106 So far, so good, though! The fact I'm making the effort to type this up to stick up for an Irish company that's offering good value should tell you something about them.

White: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1623358
    Black: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1617255
    Blue: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1623359

My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

jancav wrote: »
    I recently bought a Dyson hoover in NI for £145. Sneakily, you can't get the exact same model in Ireland, you have to buy a 'more feature rich' one for €299. But they both suck up the dust !

Also, I wanted to buy a cooker up in NI but Dixons have stopped selling them out of their shops, you have to have them delivered, to an address in NI of course! The reason for this is that their shops in Ireland are charging at least €100 more for the same cooker.

So it's really the UK wholesalers and retailers are pi**ing themselves laughing at us stupid Paddies buying stuff from them at rip off prices.

was it gas or electric cooker,
    the reason why they dont really sell to the republic is due to a cut off switch that is manufactured into the gas cookers for the republic,
    to sell a gas cooker in the republic you are required by law to have the safety switch built in.
    in the uk and many other countries it is not law so they dont have the switch in many models.

if you buy it and get somebody to fit it, the fitter may decline to fit the machine due to the law.
    lets just say your house burnt down, and you had the uk model installed, the insurance company could decline to payout.

with new laws coming in regarding gas servicing and supplies,
    servicing will have to be frequent and if you do not do this the insurance company can decline to provide cover until you show a full cert of compliance.

so for me for a cooker an extra 100 euro is worth it.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

mcwhirter wrote: »
    It appears to me it is the suppliers to the retailers here which are ripping people off. Before the sterling loss in value, SMA ready mixed cartons where selling for 41p in the north and 99c here. Even when the rate was 1.5 euros to the pound it was still a lot cheaper to buy that particular product in the north.
    The blame is not the retailers but the retailers supplier in my opinion.

Not altogether the supplier totally dont forget where they manufacturer in Ireland they suffer the same ESB and wages and insurance etc as me.

Whats gets me is the stuff that manufactured outside the country even outside europe, its an irish based office I have to order via and that adds up the price also.

Advertisement