Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice!

• 11-04-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey i'm thinking of going to UL next year but need some advice. My friends are all going to dublin colleges and i'm just wondering how easy is it to make friends etc. and just some general info about daily life in UL!

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Once you make the effort, it's very very easy to make friends.

The best suggestion is to join a couple of Clubs and Societies and take the time to attend the meetings and get-togethers. It is definitely the best way to make friends with similar interests.

The 'Connect' network is also good. It pairs you with another student, generally older, who has similar likes and interests to you. If you're shy the other student can go to society meetings with you, or just be an ear to listen if you need it. It's a really good service and a great way to meet people.

As for daily UL life, you'll need to be more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ergonomics wrote: »
    Once you make the effort, it's very very easy to make friends.

The best suggestion is to join a couple of Clubs and Societies and take the time to attend the meetings and get-togethers. It is definitely the best way to make friends with similar interests.

The 'Connect' network is also good. It pairs you with another student, generally older, who has similar likes and interests to you. If you're shy the other student can go to society meetings with you, or just be an ear to listen if you need it. It's a really good service and a great way to meet people.

As for daily UL life, you'll need to be more specific.

+1 for all you said there, especially the 'Connect' network!

Life in UL is what you make it tbh.
    You can be as actively involved or passive as you want to be.
    Usually the courses dont have too many hours, so you have plenty of free time to do stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What course are you planning on applying for. It's easy to make friends in UL, but much easier in smaller courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

If you live on campus too its easy to make friends because you will be put in with other first years. Plassey is best for making friends in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

If you live on campus too its easy to make friends because you will be put in with other first years. Plassey is best for making friends in first year.

Just about to say it myself, Best bet is to live on Campus in Cappa/Milford/Thomond/Dromroe/Plassey or one of those. Your sharing with a number of people which IMO makes it alot easier to make friends.

Apart from that, all I can say is to get active, Join a club/Society/Sports group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    Just about to say it myself, Best bet is to live on Campus in Cappa/Milford/Thomond/Dromroe/Plassey or one of those. Your sharing with a number of people which IMO makes it alot easier to make friends.

Apart from that, all I can say is to get active, Join a club/Society/Sports group.

Milford isnt on campus...... Maybe you mean kilmurry????

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    Milford isnt on campus...... Maybe you mean kilmurry????

Ya sorry, wasn't paying too much attention to what I was typing, On campus is great and all that but the prices aren't exactly cheap by any means. And in recessionary times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    On campus is great and all that but the prices aren't exactly cheap by any means. And in recessionary times...

Cheaper than Dublin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The Don wrote: »
    Cheaper than Dublin though.
    Absolutely

Living on campus is a good way to make friends, but so is living off campus.
    I've been in College Court for 4 years now, and will be entering my 5th in September...and I've met some fantastic people in that accommodation, and the neighbouring ones also.

Just come down, and join in with whats going on.

If you play pool, then the Stables is the place to be most days of the week, as you will meet loads of people there, [probably me!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Get involved in the Student Union for sure :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: They are a clicky bunch, if you get in there you'll be sirted with loads of friends :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Ha yeh i've killmurray booked i think that has loads of first years aswell? Im thinking of doing nursing so if there is anyone doing the course at the mo i'd really appreciate some info of what it actually involves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

tazbars wrote: »
    Ha yeh i've killmurray booked i think that has loads of first years aswell? involves

Yep its mainly firsties ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

And it is savage!!!!! Im in first year and living in kilmurry. The atmosphere around the place is unreal, theres always someone going out or something happening, it would be impossible to get bored around here anyway!!!!! I would have to advise kilmurry for first year, after that you will be able to find your own feet!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

ha thats really good i was kinda worried bout that like what course are you doing? did you move in with friends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

Warning! If you like real cities such as Cork and Dublin and if you are interested in coming to UL just be aware that Limerick city is a tiny little sh*t hole full of knackers. I lived on and off campus in 4yrs at UL. Stolen cars and robbed houses are very common, especially off campus. UL is nice though! pity its in Limerick.

Murts-Rig wrote: »
    Warning! If you like real cities such as Cork and Dublin and if you are interested in coming to UL just be aware that Limerick city is a tiny little sh*t hole full of knackers. I lived on and off campus in 4yrs at UL. Stolen cars and robbed houses are very common, especially off campus. UL is nice though! pity its in Limerick.

FFS lad, as much and all as I'd like to agree with you, I dont.

You cannot blame 'knackers' for all the break-ins and stolen cars! There are many students involved and thats fact also. When I first moved into CC, it was a group of students living there that robbed a load of houses locally, and other incidents involved them too. How do I know? Because they were caught!

And I have no doubt that some of the subsequent break-ins over the last 4 years have also been student-related.

Limerick isnt that bad either. Fair enough it may not have the same attractions as other cities, but if you dont like it, dont go into it! There is as much to do in Castletroy and UL as there is in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

Dave Morin?
    Should have Known

Dave Morin?
    Should have Known

A friend of Webmonkey...That means it must be Mick or Martin...I'm going with Mick!

Stop coming here and talking nonsense! :p
    Contribute positively :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Careful now.

I lived in Limerick for 4 years and had little to no trouble!

Anecdotal evidence trumps statistics don't ya see!

• Advertisement
Advertisement