Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power cuts

Options
  • 11-04-2009 10:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Anyine know what the fcuk is going on with all the sudden power cuts around the drogheda region the last two days.
    Its causing a serious amount of damage to pc's around the town!

:mad:

Comments

Cuts, or cut?

I've only noticed one, yesterday. Lasted about half an hour to forty minutes or thereabouts (i think). Haven't noticed anything since. Thankfully i wasn't using the PC at the time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Happened twice last night, twice tonight.
    Not just to me but other folk across the town the other end.

Whatever the feck is going on, its screwing up computers across the town big time.

Have a setting in my wireless connections called "Virtualprofile" showing up!
    Friends in Hawthorn terrace and around drogheda are having the exact same thing showing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Had one tonight bout 8 o clock! Literally just for a second then the lights flickered bout half an hour ltr! Have the candles on standby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Power out in Termonfeckin this evening from about 8:20 to shortly after 9

I have heard from friends around town and as far as half way to Slane that are experienceing the cuts and the subsequent pc/laptop problems.

Its mad and so far there is silence from the ESB!

• Advertisement

Update:

Apparently when all the computers crashed around the town, Vista has on some machines in its wisdom, makes an emergency profile on reboot with settings of its own accord.
    Subsequently at startup this would kick in before the normal profile setup with all the usual user accounts detailed in it.

Long story short - for future reference if anyone come across this problem:
    • I made a restore point (in case I screw up and I do! :D )
    • Then I deleted the emergency profile that was made (it was clear what one was the emergency one, file size was way smaller than the other on the list)
    • Rebooted (took ages but I expected that as settings where being adjusted)
    • When pc booted up again, pc was re-forced to use the original profile settings.

All back to normal or at least I though so till two reboots later!

I can't state it enough to folk, if you have 20 Euro to spare - get a surge protector.
    It will seriously save you a lot of heartache, worry and money in the long run.

Well I have all my files on a seperate 1TB hard drive, and I have another 1TB hard drive put away that is an exact copy of the 1TB that's connected to the PC, so i'm pretty safe where things like that are concerned.

I did notice that after the power went out here on... Thursday(?) that my PC wouldn't start properly. I had to wait about 20 minutes whilst it went through a few different options, etc. for me telling me "your computer has failed to start" so i had to restore it, which i don't really mind. I'm more than happy ot reformat my PC whenever necessary, just so long as it doesn't actually just stop working. I'm happy.

As posted in the technical section by me:

Its weird. Totally weird. (Virtualprofile) Appears out of nowhere. I know of three machines now in Drogheda that have this exact same problem.
    ...and thats just that problem!

Got a laptop also at the moment from a chap that lives on an estate near the now gone Bridgeford,
    Its a less than a year old acer. Their machine was effected by the ESB cuts too - wiped the harddrive partitions, even down to the basic sata drivers attached to the BIOS, cpu and motherboard etc.
    The windows recovery utility hidden under F8 can't even kick in cos of the damage done to this family's hard drive!

There is a lot of pissed off Drogheda folk out there and they are looking for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nk12

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    Power out in Termonfeckin this evening from about 8:20 to shortly after 9

There was a serious crash:( heading from termon abbey into Aston village that also knocked out a power line! we were held there for the times you have mentioned! one half of the estate was in darkness our side had power?

but we have also experienced the power cuts also mentioned on here!
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There was a loud bang heard on good friday around 7:30 when the power went out, Spotted some guys working on the marleys lane sub station later that evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement