Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting honey from the honeycomb ?

• 11-04-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

I have started buying small boxes og honeycomb cos its so good :)

You can squeeze some out with a spoon or suck a piece of it like a sweet and spit out the wax.

How do you, however, get the honey out in the most economical way?

What did we do in the old days ? Im sure the wax melts at a very simlar temp to the the point honey may get runnier so did not want to risk any heat ?

cheers :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Don't heat the honeycomb, that will effect the quality! Without a centrifuge, the best option for extracting on a small scale would be to un-cap the honeycomb using a warm knife and hang it over a bowl with a strainer on top, overnight. This will yield all the honey from comb!

Personally, i prefere to just cut pieces from the comb as required and either eat like a sweet as you mentioned above or squeeze with my fingers! Tasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You could try using a salad drier to spin the honey out.

Advertisement