Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any dublin commuters left??

Options
  • 12-04-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Just wondering is anyone here mad enough to be commuting to dublin and if so how do u find it??
    Used to be a lot of them back in the day... I'm only doin it temporarily but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hey John,
    Well I've been considering it.
    I've got my eye on a role in Dublin (and hopefully I get it). If I do I'll commute for the first month and then relocate to Dublin or Maynooth.

How do you find it?
    Are you commuting from town?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Depends on the person I suppose... I find it's do-able once you get into a routine. It's important to think of it as a short term measure though (saving for a deposit, contract job, waiting for a transfer etc). If I was doing it forever I reckon I'd go crazy...

Used to get the train - ability to get some kip was a bonus, but it's no use if you have to be flexible with working hours. Paid parking at all stations is a pain in the neck. It was good to see some familiar faces every day though - we almost had a little support group by the end!! :)

Going by car now - reliable heating and a comfy seat are a bonus - but more tiring concentrating on the road; you need to plan hours around the traffic and get familiar with alternative routes to the lucan road; toll bridge is too expensive to use twice a day so you end up using the back road.

Rents are coming down in dublin now... so if you have to drive there's no great financial gain when you take into account damage to your car etc... and of course the loss of time and freedom... no impromptu nights out after work (if you're lucky enough to work somewhere that has them!)
    It's only really worthwhile if you have family ties in longford, a house here, working part time, can work from home some days, or you're trying to decide what to do next!

I suppose more people will be doing it now with little work going round the town, there might be some chance of getting something in dublin.

Yeah, coming from longford town.

To be honest I didn't think that many people did it.
    At the moment I'm living in Ballymahon and I'd need to be in the office at 9 (in the city centre).

I guess this would mean I'd have to leave at 7am (driving), which really isn't bad IMO.
    I'd be finished at 5pm but I wonder what the drive home is like, I mean I could do it in an hour and twenty but at that time it may be different!

I don't really mind though, it would be a temporary measure before moving closer and I'm only 22. The experience for me is worth it. :)

Did I see a post a while back by youself with something to do with CCNP?

Advertisement