Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begrudgery and the "09 Car" stigma

Options
  • 12-04-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

In the Irish Times hot or not (don't laugh!) today they had undr "not" the 09 car stigma, people being made almost ashamed of their 09 cars. I;ve noticed on boards people talk in a very begrudging tone about holiday homes and fancy cars and whatnot, so I'm wondering, do you begrudge people these things?

Begrudging is slightly different to feeling smug that they're getting their comeuppance for taking out a massive loan on a car and remortgaging their house to buy an appartment in Spain, do you actually feel that people shouldn't have these things?

For anyone who has an 09 car or holiday home, do you feel slightly stigmatised by it? Do you try not to mention it in company? Does it annoy you when you see various posts on boards saying "oh maybe people will have to sell their luxury home boo hoo"?

I'm sorry I can't think of concrete examples from boards of this begrudgery, if I see any (they're usually on After Hours) I'll post them up.

It annoys me a bit (I have neither ar not home- being 18) that people feel almost glad that other people have to give up the luxuries they've worked hard for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I've driven a mid range, '09 car around (not my own) a few times, including this evening, and I honestly haven't felt the smallest bit of 'tude...

I also, admittedly, haven't seen a whole lot of OTHER '09 cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People begrudging isn't new, it's happened when times were good and it'll exist even now.
    I don't think it'll increase, it'll only stay the same.

I don't know much about cars so I can't explain a 09 phemonem.
    Though my moped is 08 and I don't think anyone is jealous of it. :D

I've seen very, very few 09 cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I only made a distinction cos I was trying to stop people coming on saying "well it's their fault for taking out loans they couldn't possibly repay", begrudgery and smugness does tend to be mixed up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Begrudgery is a sad feature of Irish culture in my opinion. Its not my fault I was made redundant - the business ceased to operate just as its not others fault they still have good jobs and can afford the finer things ie new car etc. OK so I'm now on the dole, my sons father does not support him blah blah that is just my circumstances. To be honest I personally am glad to hear of someone being able to upgrade their car/holiday home/etc
    Thats just me though, but I do hear what your saying. Recently a friend of mine was complaing about her job and I had to stop myself from saying 'you should be glad you have one'

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Recently a friend of mine was complaing about her job and I had to stop myself from saying 'you should be glad you have one'

In fairness, some people are bullied at work, some are overworked and it's normal for them to complain to their friends, hoping for someone to listen. Maybe they don't know what to do.

You can't use the lucky to have a job line to everyone.
    Now I'm not saying you're not a good friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

You can't use the lucky to have a job line to everyone.
    Now I'm not saying you're not a good friend :)[/quote]

Thats why I stopped myself. Its wasn't her fault she was having a rough few days at work. I was feeling down because I wasn't working. As I said earlier glad to see anyone getting on or in these times simply hanging on to what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well I will say that the 09 drivers seem very mannerly compared with 08 and 07 drivers at the start of the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

To be quite honest i have not seen many 09 Cars around, just a handfull really!!

gcgirl wrote: »
    To be quite honest i have not seen many 09 Cars around, just a handfull really!!

You would be really surprised how many '09 cars of similar color and model there actually are when you walk out of Tesco with a bursting bag and can't remember where you put the blessed thing...
    ;)

aare wrote: »
    You would be really surprised how many '09 cars of similar color and model there actually are when you walk out of Tesco with a bursting bag and can't remember where you put the blessed thing...
    ;)

Hit the remote locking :D When you see the flashing lights your sorted!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I see a few in our car park, and a good few in my dads work place, I say fair play and congrats to those who can afford it. Why should they feel ashamed for spending their money? It is their money after all, right?

I would love to be in a position to buy anything, let a lone a new car :P

Hit the remote locking :D When you see the flashing lights your sorted!!

I forgot that:o...like I said, it's not my car...and all I have of the remote control of my own beloved "batteredmobile" is a legend that it will come back when the Sons of Erin are in their darkest hour...which won't be until at LEAST next Friday...

I see a few in our car park, and a good few in my dads work place, I say fair play and congrats to those who can afford it. Why should they feel ashamed for spending their money? It is their money after all, right?

I would love to be in a position to buy anything, let a lone a new car :P

Exactly...why envy anyone anything? The one I got to drive belongs to a pensioner who saved up since '99 to buy it, cash...

A few friends are downgrading the jeeps and getting cars !! I never actually think people would be singing tha praises of a 1.1 over a 2ltr!!

Exactly...why envy anyone anything? The one I got to drive belongs to a pensioner who saved up since '99 to buy it, cash...
    I was mildly envious of a friend bring up a 120,000 lexus to training one night but it was sex on wheels:p

I was mildly envious of a friend bring up a 120,000 lexus to training one night but it was sex on wheels:p

Ah but I think that is more of an *emotional* than a *material* issue really, isn't it?
    ;)

Ah but I think that is more of an *emotional* than a *material* issue really, isn't it?
    ;)

Words cannot describe it !! As a friend of mine would have put it '' I think i just came on my keyboard'' moment:D totally Emotional !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

No begrudgery at all from me.

fair play to you if you want something new and shiny and can afford it. I have loved buying a new car in the past. I wouldnt do it again though, regardless of affordability.

I just dont think it is a clever move though when you consider how quickly a car depreciates and couple that with the value there is to be had in used cars.

ps, where are all the begrudgers ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

op i actually didnt read all your post i just read until ya said do people have a problem with 09 cars.
    I have been somewhat poor since before the recession and am still the same now. I love the recession. The amount of my street that bought new cars every year and got stuff done to their houses is funny cos now they are paying it off and dont have the money. Its not the government that messed it up it was us irish trying to be better than others around us. Nobody saved . I am so happy people are like me now. I have enough money to keep my bike on the road and pay tax etc. Same as always but the posh people are shopping in aldi now but they feel ashamed. Best thing ever to happen in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Piste wrote: »
    In the Irish Times hot or not (don't laugh!) today they had undr "not" the 09 car stigma, people being made almost ashamed of their 09 cars. I;ve noticed on boards people talk in a very begrudging tone about holiday homes and fancy cars and whatnot, so I'm wondering, do you begrudge people these things?
    It depends on the circumstances. Clearly anyone who buys a new car when there's such good value and quality on the second-hand market has money to burn.

I was cycling home from work on Thursday when, I got cut up by an large blue-coloured 09 SUV which barged out of the Dept of Environment's offices at the Custom House and blocked one lane of traffic while trying to force his way into another. If the window had been down, the civil servant driving it would've had my economic advice for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

seanybiker wrote: »
    op i actually didnt read all your post i just read until ya said do people have a problem with 09 cars.
    I have been somewhat poor since before the recession and am still the same now. I love the recession. The amount of my street that bought new cars every year and got stuff done to their houses is funny cos now they are paying it off and dont have the money. Its not the government that messed it up it was us irish trying to be better than others around us. Nobody saved . I am so happy people are like me now. I have enough money to keep my bike on the road and pay tax etc. Same as always but the posh people are shopping in aldi now but they feel ashamed. Best thing ever to happen in my opinion.

Ah, here they come !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

After wandering into a dealers a few days ago getting an 09 car is a lot less painful then getting an 08 car last year. The dealers are hurting and offering insane discounts/trade-ins then ever before.

The only issue I have with 09 cars (or any 96-98 or earlier) is that they tend to be driven by people who seem to not have fully grasped how to drive. Statistically that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

.... The gas thing is that the people you are scoffing at will by and large get over their current issues in the next 2,3,4,5 years max.... as will the banks... as will the markets... as will the governments... and you'll be still riding around on your clapped out bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess Jade

;)

Very true:)

/heads off whistling innocently .........
    but the posh people are shopping in aldi now but they feel ashamed.

Not true dahling It's the latest fad. Are you not keeping up with what is hot and wot is not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Well thats begrudgery if I ever heard it:rolleyes:,live and let live you will feel better not worring what others have or dont have;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

I wonder do you live on the same road as me. I didnt borrow for my car. I saved the money for it. Hate borrowing. Havent borrowed in 20 years, Since i borrowed €2000 to buy my first banger.
    But you were looking at me scoffing and saying "Ha, now he has to pay that off, ha , ha." - Wrong. Not everyone borrows.

Hobbes wrote: »
    The only issue I have with 09 cars (or any 96-98 or earlier) is that they tend to be driven by people who seem to not have fully grasped how to drive.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Well I will say that the 09 drivers seem very mannerly compared with 08 and 07 drivers at the start of the last few years.

Talk about generalizations :D

So which is it? Are drivers with the 09 cars the best or the worst, the two of you can argue over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's attitudes like this that got us into the mess. Begrudgers... people that are jealous of that others have. We bought a brand new car in 1999. We still have it ;) Has only ever had one owner and has nearly 200,000 miles on the clock. I personally wouldn't buy a new car, would look at a car that's a year or two old though.

If people are allowed borrow, then why blame them? If you were offered money so easily, wouldn't you take it? It's not the peoples fault, it's the banks fault.

Well, we went out in the '09 this afternoon, looking for a nice quiet game of "ram the begrudger", but nobody seemed to want to play. :(

Most upsetting...

There was one guy in a "British Racing Green" 10 year old Rover who's need to overtake seemed to be challenging his survival instinct, but apart from that, everybody was just the same as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If people are allowed borrow, then why blame them? If you were offered money so easily, wouldn't you take it? It's not the peoples fault, it's the banks fault.

People get offered cocaine and ecstasy too. Would it be the dealers fault if they accepted and died??

All they needed to do was say no.

Advertisement