Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begrudgery and the "09 Car" stigma

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Piste wrote: »
    In the Irish Times hot or not (don't laugh!) today they had undr "not" the 09 car stigma, people being made almost ashamed of their 09 cars. I;ve noticed on boards people talk in a very begrudging tone about holiday homes and fancy cars and whatnot, so I'm wondering, do you begrudge people these things?

Begrudging is slightly different to feeling smug that they're getting their comeuppance for taking out a massive loan on a car and remortgaging their house to buy an appartment in Spain, do you actually feel that people shouldn't have these things?

For anyone who has an 09 car or holiday home, do you feel slightly stigmatised by it? Do you try not to mention it in company? Does it annoy you when you see various posts on boards saying "oh maybe people will have to sell their luxury home boo hoo"?

I'm sorry I can't think of concrete examples from boards of this begrudgery, if I see any (they're usually on After Hours) I'll post them up.

It annoys me a bit (I have neither ar not home- being 18) that people feel almost glad that other people have to give up the luxuries they've worked hard for.

This is typical of Irish people imo. I'd certainly never begrudge anyone. Infact if I see a 09 I think 'fair play to them'. A nation of begrudgers is Ireland. I've plenty of money and I'm not ashamed of it either. I just happened to work my way into that position. Of course that could change and I do feel sorry for some people, but I don't feel sorry for the begrudgers. That's just my 2cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'd forget about the Stigma of a 09 car, What about the Stigma of having a ticket to the HEC semi in Croker !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

gcgirl wrote: »
    I'd forget about the Stigma of a 09 car, What about the Stigma of having a ticket to the HEC semi in Croker !!

Ah but THAT stigma is hardly recession related...
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

I say fair play to anybody with an '09 car.

It's obvious that if you're driving an '09 car you've earned that privellage by either not having squandered during the boom years or by having involved yourself in an industry that was a wise choice in the long-term.

It shows that you're spending your money the way you want, regardless of all the over-coverage of the dire economic situation of the country by the media. It shows us that at least the economy hasnt grinded to a complete halt!

It lets the rest of us see that the natural order of society is being brought back, whereby not everybody is able to afford the best things, which gives the rest of us something to strive towards; what incentive to work hard is there if the best you can hope for is to be striving to "keep up with the joneses".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'm driving an 09 jeep....getting really tired of the smart comments tbh...

I'd be a really wealthy woman if I had a euro for everyone of them:rolleyes:

I bought it because I had to because of my work.....but these days I seem to spend my time trying to hide the damn thing. I'm even tempted to draw a circle onto the 9 to make it an 8.

Have even had random strangers comment, it's nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mikemac wrote: »
    So which is it? Are drivers with the 09 cars the best or the worst, the two of you can argue over it

Most of the current year reg drivers tend to fall into "company car" or "learner driver with their new car". At least they like they don't know how or don't care. Which is why I generally give those and 98* or lower a width berth.

* people with 98 or somewhat earlier reg tend to fall into the "This is my first car for learning to drive" as they can destroy the thing without much worry of loosing any serious money.

If you bought an 09 car. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was getting uncomfortable in my 96 reg car, now I'm quite happy - it turns out I was ahead of the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was driving behind what I though was an 08 car, but it was only when I stopped behind it at traffic lights that I realised that it was 09. I don't know whether the owner mistakenly or intentionally used black plastic bolts, instead of white ones to hold the plate on, but it certainly looked like a precision job with the bolt turning a 9 into an 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was driving behind what I though was an 08 car, but it was only when I stopped behind it at traffic lights that I realised that it was 09. I don't know whether the owner mistakenly or intentionally used black plastic bolts, instead of white ones to hold the plate on, but it certainly looked like a precision job with the bolt turning a 9 into an 8.

I think it would be a pretty sad state of affairs if one would intentionally do this. Not everyone is suffering during this recession, so why would they feel ashamed if they have a job, etc.?

Personally, I was considering getting an 09 car for a number of reasons. i) We are hoping to extend our family soon and will need a bigger car. ii) I have worked extremely hard resulting in me getting another (well deserved!) promotion last week.

I've had my eye on this particular car since it arrived on the market in 07 and decided with my next promotion I would treat myself for working hard.

Should I be ashamed of this? I work in an industry which is continuing to grow during the recession, so job security isn't an issue.

yaynay wrote: »
    I think it would be a pretty sad state of affairs if one would intentionally do this. Not everyone is suffering during this recession, so why would they feel ashamed if they have a job, etc.?

Personally, I was considering getting an 09 car for a number of reasons. i) We are hoping to extend our family soon and will need a bigger car. ii) I have worked extremely hard resulting in me getting another (well deserved!) promotion last week.

I've had my eye on this particular car since it arrived on the market in 07 and decided with my next promotion I would treat myself for working hard.

Should I be ashamed of this? I work in an industry which is continuing to grow during the recession, so job security isn't an issue.

If you've got it flaunt it. :p

in fact, there should be a new model released for these times - Mitsubishi Stigma.

• Advertisement

If I could do this, I would.

The peace I would have would be lovely!!!

If I could do this, I would.

The peace I would have would be lovely!!!

Never mind, next January you can start waving your fist at the 10s (if you can find it).:pac:

you can start waving your fist at the 10s (if you can find it).:pac:

:confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused:

as in 09 reg cars will not draw the same attention next year.....

as in 09 reg cars will not draw the same attention next year.....

It was more the 'fist' comment that confused me tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I LOVE seeing other people with 09 cars, it's a reminder that the economy isn't quite as bad as the media likes to tell us. To me the 09 cars represent hope for the future because they show that some people can still afford stuff.

I only learned to drive in August last year and failed my 1st attempt at the driving test so I'm happy that I have any car. My car is a 05 focus but if I was shopping for the car now I'd get something smaller and cheaper. I have no particular interest in cars anyway, I'd prefer to be buying clothes or going on holidays but I honestly am happy to see 09 cars.

I couldn't afford one myself but I think a country where all signs of luxury and wealth had disappeared would be much worse than the present situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

id commend anyone with a 09, and long as its not some stupid 60,000 euro merc crap.

Theres a begrugery thats developed here since the late nineties and is one of the reasons we're in this mess, everyone competing with everyone else and everyone ripping off the next person. Irish people were always community oriented and since we got all this cash in the past 10 years we've changed, i very much regret what we've changed into and living abroad several times in the past 10 years for 6 months to 1 year stints and coming back i considered moving abroad permantly due to the money madness thats become the be all and end all of this country.

I remember what this country stood for and what it used to be like and i hope we get back there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

sunnyside wrote: »
    I couldn't afford one myself but I think a country where all signs of luxury and wealth had disappeared would be much worse than the present situation.
    I disagree.

We need common sense and thrift.

Ignore the Indo, it represents big business & they're scared we'll see through the consumerist illusion & stop buying over-priced houses and cars.

Advertisement