Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name Calling

Options
  • 12-04-2009 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

my 8yr old son is getting called names at school every now and then its not an on-going thing and sometimes he doesnt bother him and im sure he isnt an angel either himself. i keep telling him to ignore it and they'll soon stop once if he doesnt react to them but my heart does break when he gets upset, now it doesnt seem to be a big problem to contact the school just wondering is there anything else i can be telling him - dont want to baby him too much as he needs to be able to deal with it as he gets older

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Well to be honest with you, if it happens on a few occasions you are well entitled to get in there and ask for them (school) to put a stop to it. Speaking from primary school experience.
    No child should have to go to school and deal with that especially if its a group of two or more and he's on the receiving end of the name calling on his own. Even when we are older, isnt it hard to deal with any name calling?
    As for advice to give the child, I really cant offer any. YOu would feel justified in telling them to call him a name back but thats not teaching him any life lesson really.
    My straight up advice is, reassure your child there is nothing wrong with him, make sure that he's not calling any other children names, tell him the children are wrong to call him names and that if it happens one more time that you will be speaking to the teacher about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

angel1001 wrote: »
    dont want to baby him too much as he needs to be able to deal with it as he gets older

Yes, I agree with that, BUT.........................if you dont help him sort this out then who will?? Children also have to learn that they can turn to their parents/an adult for help when they are not able to deal with a situation.

Its hard to know sometimes whether to get involved or let them deal with things themselves though- oh the joys of parenting!!!
    reassure your child there is nothing wrong with him, make sure that he's not calling any other children names, tell him the children are wrong to call him names and that if it happens one more time that you will be speaking to the teacher about it

Yep, I would go this route first myself, and then follow through if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'd be inclined to talk calmly to the school and urge them to get the Anti-Bullying Centre in TCD to run a course.

This is how bullying starts. Cut it off at the roots. This is to the school's advantage if they don't want the problem to grow - and they'll be doing their students a big favour by running this course.

As to what you can say to your son: I'd just tackle it calmly when you're having some milk and bikkies together: "People do say silly things, don't they? It's a stage - they'll grow out of it", and get him to laugh at what they say, by making a joke out of it.

Advertisement