Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smells in recently extended house

Options
  • 12-04-2009 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi. I extended my house before Christmas & over the past couple of months have been having an intermittent bad smell mainly around the downstairs wc & utility room. Some of my neighbours have also been experiencing bad odours. My problem is who do I call to check it out? Plumber? Drain cleaners? Other? My drains are not blocked ( yet anyway). Am concerned that there is something not right with the building work I had done. would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Best port of call would be to get the builders back who did the work, they will know the in's and out's of the work they did....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

could be cracked sewer pipe due to subsidence from recent extension & weight of wall over existing drains??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Have you got all the toilets etc connected up? Is it just the smell rising out of the sewer? If you have all the toilets connected run them all, Toilet shower sink for a minute to make sure they fill the water traps. If the smell is still there after airing a few hours later you may have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 eleanora

thanks for input. Not keen to call back builders as not too happy with them. Will get drains people first ( tomorrow) & hope they can locate the problem & then if I have to will revert to builders. I'm hoping its not a crack in the sewer pipe - would there not be leakage / wet patches if there was a leak? Thanks.

UPdate - had drains people do camera inspection of all my drains and the mains and all ok structurally sound. However one drain under my manhold is badly sealed and we have used silicon to seal up gaps and spaces just under the floors. We are hoping this might do it - I was advised to wait about a week as it could take that time for odours to disappear. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

eleanora wrote: »
    UPdate - had drains people do camera inspection of all my drains and the mains and all ok structurally sound. However one drain under my manhold is badly sealed and we have used silicon to seal up gaps and spaces just under the floors. We are hoping this might do it - I was advised to wait about a week as it could take that time for odours to disappear. Fingers crossed.

is the manhole cover not outside the house? from your email it sounds like your extension is built over a manhole. not sure if this is ok with building regulations, maybe somebody can advise?
    p.s. Glad to hear its not a cracked sewer pipe.

No its allowed - I had an engineer oversee the build - its a double sealed manhole. I think we have solved the smell problem now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 amyloo

make sure that the builder has vented the new toilet properly with a dago vent a least 900mm above cistern or a vented waste pipe 110mm wide going up through the roof or out of the wall if near a window then it must be 1.8mtr above roof line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

J agree with amyloo.
    90% that the vent is in wrong place and when you flush one of the toilets running water is sacking a trap water in another toilet and smell is bulking out.

the only solution to fix it is to get a plumber to fix automatic air vent on the back of toilet seat
    it should cost several euros for vent and about 50 for plumber

Hi - touch wood smell gone since sealing around leaky riser in one manhole so I think that might have been the source. However I will keep your advice in mind if the smells come back. Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
Advertisement