Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Firewall Service not working (No Firewall will work on my computer)

• 12-04-2009 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if not please just move and accept my apologies.

Also, apologies in advance for the long post, but I thought it best to write as much info as possible so hopefully any kind soul that takes pity and helps me out will have some info to go on. (I'm sure I've missed all the important info, but I'm not super tech-savvy)

OK so here's my problem,

No firewall will install on my computer. I used to have Comodo running and it was grand until a couple of days/week ago it was telling me that there was a problem with the installation and would I like it to fix the problems, I obviously said yes, I then get a message saying it couldn't fix the problems. (It made a log of the problems with I've hopefully attached at the bottom of this post). I don't remember the exact day it stopped working, so I can't say if it was X, Y or Z update that caused it unfortunately. Sorry.

So I uninstalled, re-DL'ed the latest version and tried to reinstall it fresh, same problems, it installs does all it's scans and when I re-start the computer to finish the installation the exact same problem comes up.

So I tried Zonealarm, this time it wouldn't even install.

I then read up here and through google to see if it's some widespread problem, but I couldn't really find anything.

So I thought it may be some sort of Virus/Malware or something so I followed the instructions in the sticky here (AVG wouldn't let me run comedian, siad it was a trojan or something so I didn't run it... I was worried it might have been corrupted as the post is kinda old and I know that no-one reads stickies on boards :rolleyes: and I thought it may not have been reported before now)

I already have Spy-bot, AVG 8 (just got 8.5 tonight) ccleaner all of which I've always ran regularly so I didn't really think it was one of those, but you never know.

I also ran Malwarebyte and SuperAntiSpyware and they both found nothing.

I have Vista 32b and it's upto date. I also tried booting from the CD and asking it to repair Windows but it says there's nothing wrong.

From the various bits and pieces I've read and done I read it may be some driver conflicting with something and there are various Network Adapters that can't start and for some reason (no idea how long for, but they've never interfered with anything I've noticed in the past or now, apart from possibly this issue) I think it might be my Display Driver (so again I tried to update it, but it won't automatically update it for some reason, I DL'ed the latest driver from nVidia and it won't manually update either).

Basically I'm hoping there's some fix that doesn't involve re-installing a fresh windows.

If you've made it to the end of this post thank you in advance, and is there any other info I need to post or anything I need to do to get info that y'all need to work with.

Thanks,

Ste

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, Windows Firewall won't work either, Windows can't turn it on automatically and when I try to turn it on manually, I get a message saying the associated Windows Firewall service isn't running.

I tried going into Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services > Windows Firewall (it's set to auto) when I right click it to start I get a message saying windows couldn't start the service.

Hmmmm, when I went to view the system event log like it said (to post here) in the Event Viewer under the System Event tab it's saying: "Event Viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. Verify that the Event Log service is running. The date is invalid (13)"

Services says Windows Event Log is started ???

Anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

A hijackthis log would be my next step and I usually use the online analyser www.hijackthis.de. Do a search for "*.evt" on the PC this should give you the logfile that event viewer opens you may be able to copy this over to another computer and open to give you a better idea as to whats going on.

Thanks for the reply johntreacy, I'll do that and have a look.

Cheers

Advertisement