Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show image placeholders

Options
  • 12-04-2009 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

In many threads there are loads of photos and sometimes these images take a long time to show. Is it possible to just show a default box or something for IMG tags while photos are loading etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think this is more a browser setting that you should look for.

I think Opera does this by default. I'm guessing your trying to stop the image eventually loading and pushing everything down on the page while your reading a post further down that suddenly disappears?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Adding this to your userContent.css file will make image placeholders show up in Firefox.

@-moz-document url-prefix(http), url-prefix(file) {
      img:-moz-broken{
        -moz-force-broken-image-icon:1;
        width:24px;
        height:24px;
      }
    }

Doesn't show them during loading though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I've noticed that IE6 has image placeholders all over the shop.

Not that I'd condone using IE6 for any reason whatsoever if given a choice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I've noticed that IE6 has image placeholders all over the shop.

Not that I'd condone using IE6 for any reason whatsoever if given a choice.
    You've one in your sig. ;)

Some image on netsoc hosting.

People only notice them when they switch to the advanced editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Random wrote: »
    In many threads there are loads of photos and sometimes these images take a long time to show. Is it possible to just show a default box or something for IMG tags while photos are loading etc?

To do that properly we'd need to know the size of the images. Since that information is not available to vBulletin for most images, there's no point showing a placeholder as the page will re-flow anyway once the image loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Fair points lads. What about maybe even showing an icon to show an image is loading without even going into detail on the dimensions?

For example when youtube videos are loading and before you realise it's actually a youtube clip you get a white box.

What about a little icon to suggest there's a line of photos loading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Fair points lads. What about maybe even showing an icon to show an image is loading without even going into detail on the dimensions?
    What about a little icon to suggest there's a line of photos loading?

To do that on non-broken images would probably require some JavaScript. Personally, I don't think the very minor benefit of a notification of a partly-loaded image would outweigh the combined cost of developing that code and the performance penalty of adding yet more client-side scripting. There's somewhere in the region of 175k of JavaScript running at the moment and I'm hesitant to add more unless there's a definite benefit to it.
    For example when youtube videos are loading and before you realise it's actually a youtube clip you get a white box.

That only works because the size of the YouTube clip is known beforehand.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement