Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is bloody confusing!

Options
  • 12-04-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I`m so confused I thought boards was about free speech and sharing your personal opinion. I`m here two days and have got two infractions.

They were both for stating an absolute fact. I was told that I`m not a nice person for my opinion which I found really offensive as I know thats not true. I`m a very sympathetic person but we should all be honest with ourselves, right?

All I proved was it doesn`t matter at what point you choose to have a child it is a decision ergo so is your choice of partner. (unless you are the victim of rape which has no relativity to this discussion and is of course no womans fault ever!)

Is it just that everyone else lacks the ability to be honest even a little bit about themselves? Is it that saying that you had sex is offensive (but if you had a child you had sex so...)?

Its like I know I love my husband but I realise love is a chemical reaction to allow me to procreate with the most suitable gene combination.

Maybe humans are defensive of the reproductive process in order to assure its continuation, inbuilt protection?

I`m honestly lost... I didn`t curse or use any derogatory language...Like on another threat someone just called my belief in something else stupid and akin to the tooth fairy and easter bunny how is that fine and me stating a biological fact is not?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jah Luff View Post
    I am 19 I have a car and a baby what am i supposed to do with 100 euro? whipe my ass? cuz thats about all its guna be good for?

ME : Yeah I`ve met alot of single mothers the last few years and yes they do seem to be of the opinion that they can afford to wipe their asses with €100. I`ve heard some of them boast about throwing the coppers out of their purse in the last few years.
    Would you have "accidentally" got pregnant if you had to be responsible for your actions? We could all have "accidents". I`m 28 and I would love a baby. I`m married. I lost my job last year and had to go back to college to try to make sure that I`m employable so I can provide for a child. There is no excuse. And now if theres cuts these irresponsible mothers will be protected under our constitution and feck people who tried to be responsible and do things right! Wheres the incentive to do the right thing?! We`re turning into a nation of thugs where people have to be afraid on the street. These people should be discourage from having these children who turn into very angry young people who go out and hurt other people. Less money for single mothers equals a sharp drop in pregnancy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alegrabaroque View Post
    Less money for single mothers equals a sharp drop in pregnancy.
    Force innocent kids deeper into a poverty trap as a means of contraception?

SOMEONE ELSE :
    That'll work.

(Actually I am disgusted anyone can even pretend that one is ok.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aare View Post
    Force innocent kids deeper into a poverty trap as a means of contraception?

That'll work.

(Actually I am disgusted anyone can even pretend that one is ok.)

ME :
    Ever heard of tough love? The same children aren`t receiving the money anyway there parents are drinking and smoking it (I understand not all but the staticics show the majority unfortunetely). Your right we`ll encourage them to have 10 more that they don`t look after properly and when the stab/shoot/beat your child or someone else you love to death your bleeding heart will bring them back!

SOMEONE ELSE :
    There are some that have been put in that postion by their ex partners who dont pay a penny towards their kids Which happens to be my story My ex would rather provide for his lazy jobless self centered GF than his kids but i still have to get on with it!!

Quote:
    Well maybe if you`d took the time to get to know him a bit as he wouldn`t have been my first choice as a sperm doner. You made a decision, ok a two second one, but its still a decision why do responsible people have to pay for it? Believe me every legal route should be taken to make him live up to his responsibilities also. Theres still no male contrapceptive as far as I know thou so ultimately shouldn`t you have been on one of the many many many available contraceptives out there or insisted on condoms? Don`t play the victim, victims don`t have a choice.

SOMEONE ELSE :
    So now you have psychic powers that tell you how, and why, single mothers met the father's of their children and got pregnant?

I don't think so...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aare View Post
    So now you have psychic powers that tell you how, and why, single mothers met the father's of their children and got pregnant?

I don't think so...

ME :
    Eh...well as far as I know there is only one way to make a baby?lmfao

Well maybe if you`d took the time to get to know him a bit as he wouldn`t have been my first choice as a sperm doner. You made a decision, ok a two second one, but its still a decision why do responsible people have to pay for it? Believe me every legal route should be taken to make him live up to his responsibilities also. Theres still no male contrapceptive as far as I know thou so ultimately shouldn`t you have been on one of the many many many available contraceptives out there or insisted on condoms? Don`t play the victim, victims don`t have a choice.

SOMEONE ELSE :
    What kind of person are you? not a very nice are you ? I am the one thats getting on with my life here i am the one with 20 euro's to do me till next thursday after i paid out everything and got food and the like i dont get out much i gave up smokin, I provide everything my kids needs so stop personally attacking people!

Quote:
    Eh...well as far as I know there is only one way to make a baby?
    Why are you making this personal?

Quote:
    Eh...well as far as I know there is only one way to make a baby?lmfao

SOMEONE ELSE :
    But I rather think you went into rather more personal, and speculative detail than that, didn't you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alegrabaroque

SOMEONE ELSE :
    That kind of attack is really not justified, nor is it likely to be accurate.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not realy a personal issue.......unless you're traumatized by your treatment from the mods ;)

I don't remember your other posts but I barely read this one. We're not grammar nazi's but ever hear of paragraphs?
    If you want help, then help us to help you.
    Can you tidy that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Feedback - Not a Personal Issue

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Can you link us to the posts you're talking about perhaps?

Boards is about mostly free speech but there's also rules and respect to be followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭alegrabaroque

No its personal its stressing me out! I can`t quote two because they deleted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I`m so confused I thought boards was about free speech and sharing your personal opinion. I`m here two days and have got two infractions.

There is an introduction to Boards.ie here. Have a read over it.

One of the key points is that Boards.ie can be held liable for what you say, hence there is no free speech. Also, when discussing, you attack the post, not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I`m so confused I thought boards was about free speech and sharing your personal opinion.
    Yes, within reason and without insulting anyone while sticking to the global and forum rules.
    I`m here two days and have got two infractions. They were both for stating an absolute fact. I answered a particular person who took what I said personally and referred to their circumstances and denied that they had a hand in there circumstances.
    You are talking about this thread.

Your first infraction seems to have been given to you for insulting another user. It sure does look insulting to me. Why talk down to someone like that?
    I attempted to illustrate how that was incorrect and got an infraction. I was told that I`m not a nice person for my opinion which I found really offensive as I know thats not true. I`m a very sympathetic person but we should all be honest with ourselves, right?
    Now you aren't happy that someone is talking about their opinion with free speech? Free speech is only allowed if it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth yeah?
    All I proved was it doesn`t matter at what point you choose to have a child it is a decision ergo so is your choice of partner. (unless you are the victim of rape which has no relativity to this discussion and is of course no womans fault ever!) Is it just that everyone else lacks the ability to be honest even a little bit about themselves? Is it that saying that you had sex is offensive (but if you had a child you had sex so...)? Its like I know I love my husband but I realise love is a chemical reaction to allow me to procreate with the most suitable gene combination. Maybe humans are defensive of the reproductive process in order to assure its continuation, inbuilt protection? I`m honestly lost... I didn`t curse or use any derogatory language...Like on another threat someone just called me stupid how is that fine and me stating a biological fact is not?
    You made extremely derogatory posts towards another user, and to me it looks like the thread was being dragged off topic because of this.

If someone calls you stupid then please report the post.

Can anyone actually point to one insulting thing? I have no idea what anybody could be referring to. I stated nothing but pure fact. I would not insult anybody - I don`t even know them why would I want to hurt their feelings.

I didn`t talk down to anybody your attaching an attitude to my words which I never inferred. Show me where which particular words illustrate a condesending attitude? I didn`t say anybody wasn`t nice, which was what was said to me, I didn`t attach any negative attributes to any person.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just one thing? OK
    Well maybe if you`d took the time to get to know him a bit as he wouldn`t have been my first choice as a sperm doner.
    Sweeping judgemental ill-informed insulting statement.

Gordon wrote: »
    Just one thing? OK

Sweeping judgemental ill-informed insulting statement.

How so? Poster said her ex had a bad character and selfish traits these do not have sudden onset, I assume she only found these things out after pregnancy safe assumption given what she said. I would have insulted her if I assumed she choose to have a child with said man after these traits had emerged but she seems like a hard working mother whose trying to make the best of a bad situation, she`s not a bad person.

I take issue with women giving away there power. We make choices and we have to stand by them. We are not wilting violets or victims of circumstance. This whole "it was an accident" and poor me he left me with children and no money thing just gives the rest of us a bad name. If you arrive at either of these conclusions you do so by exercising poor judgement in one form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i reckon you could be a little more sympathetic but to be fair your right.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have a civility rule you know. Stuff like:

"Yeah I`ve met alot of single mothers the last few years and yes they do seem to be of the opinion that they can afford to wipe their asses with €100"

actually made me go "woah, thats a bit strong"...

I didnt read the rest because frankly its a mess of editing, I'll review your history (I can see even deleted posts) probably sometime tomorrow (family stuff on Easter Sunday and all). You were only infracted right? no ones , like, dead or anything yeah?

on the flip-side we are working on a condensed set of "rules" which hopefully will explain the way the site works more clearly to new users.

Oh, by the way, can you point me at anything which says you have the right to freedom of speech in Ireland? Anything at all, a reference even. It would come in dead handy in my job as admin here :)

Finally you are "personally upset" that someone said you were "not a nice person" but you felt perfectly fine about fairly ripping on whole swathes of people and particular posters individually. Free speech for some now is it? mmmm Gander-sauce, i loves me a bit of it on goose.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The OP has been annoying people over in the Clearasil & Hormones forum as well, with some extremely narrow-minded opinions and poorly expressed sentiments. I don't know if that should be taken into account here, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I also took the time last night to read the posts for which infractions were given, and as a neutral observer I thought they were thoroughly deserved. The tone and expression were both insensensitive and insulting to the user about which they were written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickymickey

ah look saying to someone ,do you ever use paragraphs is really rude if you are actually a moderator thats very offensive to start condesending people in that way ..its no wonder on other sites people post bad things about boards moderators.. i am new and do not want to get into trouble but honest the way you are talking to this guy is plain wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, when you learn how to use the quote function I'll make an effort to read your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

i am new
    Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If you can't say something constructive etc.,

That applies both to the OP and some of the respondents here.

Incidentally, I'm still curious about the role and merit of infractions (even having borne witness to the inplementation of them-albeit by accident, as a result of a vBulletin upgrade), given that the powahs that be don't seem to take them seriously, although users are meant to.

Topic for another thread, and one I'll start, later.

An File wrote: »
    The OP has been annoying people over in the Clearasil & Hormones forum as well, with some extremely narrow-minded opinions and poorly expressed sentiments. I don't know if that should be taken into account here, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I also took the time last night to read the posts for which infractions were given, and as a neutral observer I thought they were thoroughly deserved. The tone and expression were both insensensitive and insulting to the user about which they were written.

Eh where on the clearasil and hormones thread becuase I don`t remember posting there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess Jade

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OP, do you not think you could have been more tactful than that?

There are other posters with the same type of point about SW and they don't rub people up the wrong way. When you pick a specific section of society you are going to get a bit of bite back!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Eh where on the clearasil and hormones thread becuase I don`t remember posting there?

First post
    Second post
    Third post
    Fourth post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I`m so confused I thought boards was about free speech
    Incorrect.
    and sharing your personal opinion.
    Correct.

Since it's a privately owned website it's up to the admins what can and can't be said. If it was a state website then free speech rights would be more of a concern.

I think people just find your comments, while they express your opinion which you're entitled to, are a little too harsh and judgemental and taking the moral high ground.
    Maybe just make your points in a more reasoned, less confrontational manner.

Dudess wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Correct.

Since it's a privately owned website it's up to the admins what can and can't be said. If it was a state website then free speech rights would be more of a concern.

I think people just find your comments, while they express your opinion which you're entitled to, are a little too harsh and judgemental and taking the moral high ground.

But its nothing to do with opinion its a fact?! I`m not taking any moral high ground, where would that even be? Nothing to do with morality. Poster said Victim of circumstance I said not possible factually. Again where is the offense this wouldn`t offend me if the situation was reversed. She seems to be a very hard working mum I have not attached any negative attributes to her personally. I don`t presume to why she made these decission but they are still decission.

Dudess wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Correct.

I love the reign! All ways said you were a youth quaker Dudess, the dogs lay at your feet, the wind touches your cheek, the stars? they are wraped in your hair :)

An File wrote: »
    First post
    Second post
    Third post
    Fourth post

My apologies. I didn`t realise it was under this heading I saw it on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But its nothing to do with opinion its a fact?! I`m not taking any moral high ground, where would that even be? Nothing to do with morality. Poster said Victim of circumstance I said not possible factually. Again where is the offense this wouldn`t offend me if the situation was reversed. She seems to be a very hard working mum I have not attached any negative attributes to her personally. I don`t presume to why she made these decission but they are still decission.

You do realise that yes, a single parent can become one by being a victim of circumstances?

So no, it isn't factual!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Alegrabaroque,

Your final post (now deleted) was actually a judgemental, totally speculative, hypothetical character and lifestyle analysis of another poster...on the Irish Economy Forum...

However you meant it, even if you had been right it was still an unacceptable invasion of another poster's boundaries and privacy...but you were wrong which made it far, far worse.

I heart her ways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Poor woman moly giving an opinion. Now where is me big spoon.

aare wrote: »
    Alegrabaroque,

Your final post (now deleted) was actually a judgemental, totally speculative, hypothetical character and lifestyle analysis of another poster...on the Irish Economy Forum...

However you meant it, even if you had been right it was still an unacceptable invasion of another poster's boundaries and privacy...but you were wrong which made it far, far worse.

You still have not provided any example of what was wrong with what I said your just repeating the same thing with no evidence to back it up.

You have to have sex to get pregnant (except in the case of rape which is a separate issue). That is a fact.
    If I say everyone with kids immaculately conceives will you be satisfied? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard to be honest.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    You do realise that yes, a single parent can become one by being a victim of circumstances?

So no, it isn't factual!

Yes of course if your widowed your a victim of circumstance (separate issue) which I knew was not the case as poster indicated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement