Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of spending outside ireland.

Options
  • 12-04-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Consumer confidence is at an all-time low in this country, with more people than ever spending their money in the North and Britain
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget-obduracy-is-uks-retail-bonanza-1706524.html

Ok I understand the reason for this.But is'nt the short term gain going to increase the long term pain by doing this.It will lead to more job losses and lower vat returns down here.That means in the next budget in dec(if not sooner)the government will reduce social welfare payments and increase taxes even higher for those in employment.Its an ever increasing spiral and the only way to get out is for people to spend in their own economy.
    Protect irish jobs and increase tax returns(vat & PAYE etc) is the only way to reduce future taxes/social welfare decreases.
    What do you think is it worth saving a few quid by shopping abroad,if its going to cost you more in the long run?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You're dead right Paddy.

It's the same people that head up North to shop that complain about having to pay high taxes here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

We've had this debate many times OP.

For me anyway, I'd pay this levy, PRSI and PAYE. Oh and the fee on ESB bills and others things I can't avoid. That's a raping of over 1k a month, yes I've a good job but a lot of that is overtime which won't last forever.

What's left is disposable income, I can do what I like with it.
    This could be saving with Rabobank a Dutch bank, books and DVDs from amazon.com and yes, even shopping abroad.

I've paid the tax due, now I'm supposed to feel guilty about not paying even more VAT on overpriced stuff I don't want?

Have you ever spent thousands on different holidays abroad OP? Why not go on holidays in Ireland and spent money here? Hotels are closing every week. But you'll reply I can't compare a holiday to a monthly trip to Derry. Why, it's still spending thousands abroad.

Besides, we are all good Europeans so I'll buy from amazon.co,uk in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

TheZohan wrote: »
    You're dead right Paddy.

It's the same people that head up North to shop that complain about having to pay high taxes here.

We got a load of EU Funding anyway, can't have it both ways.

The Germans had the same complaint about people going into the east to buy the cheap goods and they got nothing back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Consumer confidence is at an all-time low in this country, with more people than ever spending their money in the North and Britain
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget-obduracy-is-uks-retail-bonanza-1706524.html

Ok I understand the reason for this.But is'nt the short term gain going to increase the long term pain by doing this.It will lead to more job losses and lower vat returns down here.That means in the next budget in dec(if not sooner)the government will reduce social welfare payments and increase taxes even higher for those in employment.Its an ever increasing spiral and the only way to get out is for people to spend in their own economy.
    Protect irish jobs and increase tax returns(vat & PAYE etc) is the only way to reduce future taxes/social welfare decreases.
    What do you think is it worth saving a few quid by shopping abroad,if its going to cost you more in the long run?.

Prices are never going to come down here if we continue to pay over the odds. It's a viscous circle either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

mikemac wrote: »
    I've paid the tax due, now I'm supposed to feel guilty about not paying even more VAT on overpriced stuff I don't want?
    +1, i have 0 guilt, in fact i feel great about it, not my problem Cowen thrashed my disposable income to give it to the poor bankers who've been living on the breedline.

Yes it will lead to more job losses, more on the dole, higher taxes for us all, but a lot of us in the private sector probably wont have jobs in a year or 2 anyway, so may as well save our cash in preparation for the dole queue, besides it probably wont be worth working here in a year or 2 anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

is'nt the short term gain going to increase the long term pain by doing this.It will lead to more job losses and lower vat returns down here.That means in the next budget in dec(if not sooner)the government will reduce social welfare payments and increase taxes even higher for those in employment.Its an ever increasing spiral and the only way to get out is for people to spend in their own economy.

To clarify, you suggest that we should buy more expensive goods domestically instead of cheaper goods abroad. The revenue generated for companies operating in Ireland will maintain employment and the tax revenue will help finance welfare, health and the education of our vulnerable, vulnerable children.

Consider an extension of your argument. Perhaps all Irish retailers should hike up their prices by say 25%. If we spend our money in the most expensive Irish shops, we will create even more jobs and generate even more tax revenue... before you know it the hole in the exchequer finances will be gone and we'll be laughing at the rest of the global economy!

OK, hyperbole aside, hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from. Public sector incomes have fallen by about 7 per cent on average and private sector wages are estimated to have fallen by about the same, before you even account for the 100 per cent cuts to people whose jobs have evaporated. People have less disposable income. Irish retailers have to cut their prices by an equivalent amount if they want to keep money coming through their doors and into their cash registers. As far as I can see price reductions thus far have been concentrated in mortgage payments, and those price cuts have come from Frankfurt, not Dublin.

So people have to go out and find their own price cuts. If they're over the border, that's Ireland's loss. But consumers crossing the border are acting like rational economic agents. It is the firms that maintain prices above the market price in a competitive market that are irrational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

Paddy im with u on this. its not an easy thread as u will be blasted more than a little about how ppl pay there revenue each month and its this amount and that amount.

i think well from i can gather u are thinking of the people in ur area or wherever of there jobs and lively hoods NOT PUTTING MONEY IN THE GOVERMENTS POCEKT BUT IN THE PEOPLES. but alas people have been ripped off here for a long time. i posted a similar thread and the responce of the various price difference i got was astounding. i was thinking i didnt blame them for going up north.

its a pity it has come to this thou, where regular joes are fighting to save our country while banks builders and so on get bailed for figures unimaginable to my simple mind.

what gets me thou is we spent yrs trying to get them out now we are feeding them with our money.

but history, politics, and whatever else will not save a mans money or feed his family only he can do that by whatever means he can.
    and cross border is cheaper.

Advertisement