Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server

• 12-04-2009 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

hi i want to install a server in a small office with about 5 pc in it can any one give me advice pls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Right! What role will this server have? File server, web server, email, etc.?

Then you can pick your hardware, considering backup as well, and choose an OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

ethernet wrote: »
    Right! What role will this server have? File server, web server, email, etc.?

Then you can pick your hardware, considering backup as well, and choose an OS.

i want to back up files and run a web site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Will the site be just for clients on the LAN (your own intranet) or will it be an Internet-facing web server? You'd want a beefy connection to host this (upload especially) and it may be in violation of your ISP's terms of service. Sometimes it's less hassle to rent some web space somewhere, to be blatantly honest.

In your case, with about five clients, you could get away with a decent tower model to stash away somewhere -- thinking something like a PowerEdge from Dell as an example. Will need a switch as well if you don't already have one.

Regarding the OS, you may want Windows Server with a licence for how many clients you need or something open-source, such as CentOS or Ubuntu Server (both have long-term support for security updates) or similar to cut costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

You can do this with a reasonable PC and a Linux distro if money is really an issue :)

For a little bit more you can get a small server but don't waste your money on Windows Server operating systems for the likes of this.

If you need advice / help or someone to do it - feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers,

iRock

Advertisement