Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from injury

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lol I'm sorry should've made clear the ball roll outs were on my knees and to a wall, not fully flat on the ground. Still hard though. Will try the bar roll outs instead.
    I don't think it sounds like too much, I should definitely add in some more warm ups tbh. Do you do rotator stuff on non-pressing days as well? Thanks for the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lol I'm sorry should've made clear the ball roll outs were on my knees and to a wall, not fully flat on the ground. Still hard though. Will try the bar roll outs instead.
    I don't think it sounds like too much, I should definitely add in some more warm ups tbh. Do you do rotator stuff on non-pressing days as well? Thanks for the info.

I don't understand how you're doing the roll out with the ball tho....??

And yeah I'm doing the shoulder warm up and chins every workout. Wanna get my chin strength up so that's why I'm doing them. Hoping to hit 2x10 easy pre workout in the next 2 months. I could do em now but they'd be hard like ya know? I want them "warm up" easy!!

I'm trying and failing to find an article I saw them in, think it was on t-nation. Its like a cross between a roll out wheel/bar and a walk out on your hands, you put your hands on the balls and roll it out, lifting each hand over the other to move the ball, then reverse it. I tried these cause we don't have any ab wheels and not really enough space for bar roll outs. Edit: scroll through here to see them. I only tried a light ball.

I wish I could do chins. :( I've been using the assisted machine cause I thought it would get me used to the movement and I could gradually lower the weight but I don't seem to be very successful. I think the biggest problem is it just feels like my arms are pulling, there's hardly any lat involvement that I can feel. There's not really any bars to do kipping pull ups on either or I'd try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you tried negative chinups? They helped me a lot starting out, I still do a lot of weighted negatives too. I find you can really tax the muscles you want when doing negatives, i.e. you can really concentrate on the lats if you want.

You could also jump up into position and lower yourself slowly

Tried them once and kind of kicked the machine, but I might try them again on a different piece of equipment. Would you do one set or several when doing negatives? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tried them once and kind of kicked the machine, but I might try them again on a different piece of equipment. Would you do one set or several when doing negatives? thanks.
    I used to do a few normal reps, maybe 2-3 and then finish with 3 negatives, usually 3 sets like that. I dunno how your machine works, maybe it could assist you up and then you do the negative on your own? If just doing "negative only" reps I suppose I would just do 3 sets. The reps would really depend on your current strength, go easy with them starting out, I find them very easy to do, so you could overdo them quite easily. I did some 2 days ago and still have DOMs.

Yesterday.
    Sumo deadlift; 95x5, 107.5x5, 122.5x6.

RDL; 45x5 sets of 10 reps.

pull thrus; 27.25x3 sets of 10 reps.

pull down abs; 36.25x 2 sets of 20.

I'm in bits! After all this I went fishing with a friend in the evening, which involved walking home, grabbing the rod, walking back to college, walking another km or so to another spot, then going back, about 7 or 8km's in all I'd say.

Deadlifts were ok, I forgot my belt but figured it'd be ok. Realised afterwards that I haven't really gone over 120 for reps since I started back, and definitely not without a belt. I think my sumo max could be lower than my conventional, but I'm going to bring the belt the next two days and just see what happens, I'm sure I can get through this first cycle, and if needs be I just won't add weight to the deadlift in the next one.

RDL were hard on my back as I thought they might be. I tend to let my back arch too much on these. I'll try sumo stiff legs next week, it makes more sense for my deadlift and I can keep my back a bit rounder (well it'll just be neutral, that's what a round back is for me).

I had forgotten how awesome pull thrus could be! Lots of little points of soreness in my ass and hips from them. abs was good too, can increase the weight now. I've started doing them like my training partner who pretty much just stands under the pulley with his ass against the machine, it seems to lessen the use of body swings.

some rotator cuff stuff for warm up, then;

bench;
    40x5, 47.5x5, 52.5x14 (with wrist wraps).

Bench;
    40x10,10,9,8,7+2.

Row machine;
    50kgx10x3.

Rolling Db extension;
    8kg bells x12,12,12.

machine curls, 3 sets of 10.

Possibly overcooked the 85% set, since I wasn't able for all five sets afterwards. Whats sickening is that my training partner was; I'm blaming his shorter arms. :( Otherwise nothing exciting to report, happy with the added stability from the wraps, can't wait to try them out on the squat tomorrow. Wanted to do some modified renegade rows for core but my arms could barely support me after all the triceps work. Hamstrings still in bits from the RDL's. Have to put a bit more thought into my assistance work, its only the first week but there are things I could do better, and lifts I could pair better. Will sort it out in time. Protein order arrived today, soooo happy to have some whey again! chocolate isn't the best tasting but its better than most chocolate powders I've had before.

Squat;
    77.5x5, 90x5, 100x8.

60x5x10.

DB rows;
    20kgx3x20.

pulldown abs;
    38.75x2x15.

leg press;
    125x12, 10. 115x8.

Thus ends the first week of 5/3/1 for me. Fairly happy that I'm following the main lifts correctly. A little concern about the assistance stuff but I'll figure it out.
    My back was a bit sore after/during the squats today, sort of dropped a few of them in so did myself no favours, just have to remember the belt from now on. Its ok now. Was happy with the rows, hadn't done them in ages and really let rip. I definitely think I could do 100x20 with a belt though, intend to try that next month and get on the fitness record tables.
    Banana+glucose shake is a nice reward after a session like this.
    Now I'm going to make a few protein bars or something to bring home with me this weekend-have to do my patriotic duty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

this weekend-have to do my patriotic duty!

silage??

• Advertisement

Vote you eejit!

:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

ROFL! :D

ftr, I hate you both. (not really)

Today;
    Had my gear with me and my training partner cancelled so I thought I'd do some cardio. Did a few intervals on the rower, Guess I could've done more if I'd taken a proper rest but it was busy in there and I just wanted something quick. still if I add in three small rowing sessions a week, and increase it by 1 500m interval a week I could see some benefits. ****ing hate cardio though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

man cant you tell everyone loves cardio when you get into it, sure check my username out :D

ftr, I hate you both. (not really)

Today;
    Had my gear with me and my training partner cancelled so I thought I'd do some cardio. Did a few intervals on the rower, Guess I could've done more if I'd taken a proper rest but it was busy in there and I just wanted something quick. still if I add in three small rowing sessions a week, and increase it by 1 500m interval a week I could see some benefits. ****ing hate cardio though. :(

i hate Cardio too..............little feckin smart alec :rolleyes:

your getting predictable, once you capatilised the C i knew it was comin :D

Guys, just cause you spam each others journals doesn't mean you can spam everyone's. Shoo.

Meant to add in my earlier post that I measured my legs and arms at the weekend, they are back to pre injury/lay off size (25in legs and 15in arms if you were wondering). Now to start adding some more!

warm up with bar, then;
    27.5x3, 32.5x3, 35x12.

Seated db press;
    12kg bells x5 sets of 10 reps.

Lat pulldown (shoulder blades pinched);
    50x 3 sets of 10.

shoulder death;
    3kg bells x 2 sets of 15.

legged deadlift with rotation;
    2kg med ball x 3 sets of 6.

Very happy with today's session, didn't use wrist wraps today but press was still solid. Stayed on the same weight as last week for the seated press, felt better and form was better so will up it next week. Pulldowns were great, as usual. Amazing what a little change like pulling your shoulder blades together can make-whole upper back felt nice and pumped. Happy with the superset thingy as well, increase in weight, same amount of reps. Deadlift continues to be hard, will keep doing them. Need that stability and rotational work!
    Looking forward to tomorrow. Just have to figure out what day to add turkish get ups, keep meaning to try them.

Sumos;
    62.5x3
    67.x5x3
    80x3
    100x3
    (belt on)
    115x3
    130x6.

SLDL sumo stance;
    50, 5sets of 10 reps.

50kg powerclean x5 reps for teh lolz. :pac:

seated pc;
    6kg bells, 3 sets of 10 reps.

pulldown abs
    38.75, 2 sets of 20 reps.

pull thrus;
    28.76, 3 sets of 10 reps.

Quite happy with the days work, even though it was a bit busier than it should've been. I probably did another set worth of stiff legs/rdl's showing my friend different ways to do them too. Maybe its cause its not as hot this week but it seemed a lot easier. I might start to use the belt on all deadlifts over 100kg from now on, its not that 100 is particularly difficult but by the time I get to the big lift my lower back can be somewhat fatigued.

Forgot I should do pull thrus today so did seated power cleans, then remembered again and did them at the end. All went ok. All lifts up on last week (and probably past few weeks). Another four plates on the pulldown abs and I'll be using the full stack-should take 2-4 weeks? Also, foam rolled the hell out of my legs and back a half hour ago, why must the IT band hurt so much? And the lower half of my groin, so very very sore. :(

I figure if I get four or more deadlifts next week I'll up the weight. If I only get two I'll keep it the same or drop a few kilos for the next month. If I get three I'll probably kick myself for posting this. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sumos;
    SLDL sumo stance;
    50, 5sets of 10 reps.

how does this feel? it intrigues me

good, pretty easy too. It seems to emphasis the hammies in a different way, felt it more on the outside of the muscle than the full burning sensation that came from rdl's last week.

bastardised dieselcrew warm up.
    20xwarm up, 40x wu.
    45x3, 50x3, 55x10.

Bench;
    40x5 sets of 10 reps.

Face pulls;
    26.25x3x10.

rolling db extension;
    10kg bells x3x12.

ez bar curls;
    bar plus 20kg, 8,8,12.

partial turkish get up;
    2kgx8,10,6.

happy with the bench this week, a lot more solid than last. Moved my hands out a bit on the third, fourth and fifth set, my triceps were getting fried. Did the last set of db extensions on the floor, much nicer. partial turkish get up is hard, plenty hard for me for the next while. Good exercise though. Looking forward to squatting tomorrow now.

today;
    warm up.

Squat;
    85x3,
    95x3(w/ wraps),
    107.5x6. (belt and wraps)

65x5x10.

DB rows.
    22.5x3x20.

calf machine.
    50kgx2x20.

leg press.
    70x2x20.

Squats were fairly hard today, sort of looking forward to the deload week. think I'm going to have to take my stance out a bit and try and work on form for the next while. Rows were hard, but got them all done. began to look more like kroc rows as they went on.
    Different leg press machine today, not great the rom is a lot less than the other machine. At this stage just didn't care about the weight though and just bashed out some sets. No abs today either, gotta train tomorrow and the next day, will do it then.

Whats your BW at the mo Brian??

Dunno, hopefully under 100kg! I haven't really been on a strict weight loss diet or anything but I cut out crisps and biscuits, and now that i have protein powder I'm not drinking two litres of milk every day, so I've dropped a lot of excess calories and have started to notice it a little. I only really get to weigh myself when I go home to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Foam rolling your IT band for the first few times is like every dead leg you ever got in school happening at once isn't it? Mine aren't too bad now, or they weren't, I've not been rolling as much as I used to so I'm probably in for it next time.

Yeah its ****ed up. My inner thigh is almost as bad. :( Funny I was going to ask you about foam rolling, do you use it for your back? As the day wears on my lower back muscles can get tight, the roller really loosens them out, to the point where its weird that my back feels normal! Pity it doesn't last longer, but I'm definitely enjoying the roller and what it does atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Get a tennis ball on the sole of your foot, stand up on it and it around between the ball of your foot and your heel. It's HORRIBLE. Concentrate on the inner part of your arch too. The pain's near crippling for me!

I've started to roll my calves with a tennis ball as well. NOT fun.

• Advertisement

Why do I want to do that??? What's it suppose to achieve??

Advertisement