Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from injury

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Soreness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Today;
    warm up with bar, then;
    military press;
    30x5,
    35x3,
    37.5x8.

Seated db press;
    14x5 sets of 10.*

lat pulldown;
    55x3x10.

shoulders death;
    3kgx2x15.

One legged deadlift w/rotation;
    2kg med ball,x3x12.

Gym was packed, sucked balls. Last set of db presses was a balls too, had to do the last four reps as singles. Bah. Otherwise nothing exciting. Deadlifts tomorrow, woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Just an observation..... if it was me, and i you (:)) i'd drop a couple of sets off the seated db shoulder press, but up the weight and reps, i'm assuming ur looking for mass with them??

Also whats the thinking behind doin shoulder death every week??

Well I only up the weight on the press every two weeks, this week was hard on the last set cause it was up from last week, but next week will be easier and I'll up it again the following week. Or if its still hard I'll see about changing it.

No real thinking behind it, I did them for few weeks and decided to continue it for the first month of 5/3/1 and then move on. You don't think I should?

Well I only up the weight on the press every two weeks, this week was hard on the last set cause it was up from last week, but next week will be easier and I'll up it again the following week. Or if its still hard I'll see about changing it.

No real thinking behind it, I did them for few weeks and decided to continue it for the first month of 5/3/1 and then move on. You don't think I should?

I dont think anything!!

I'm assuming your going balls out on the seated MP for strength ya??

well personally when im working that way i like to almost go DCish with the seated DBs,

i.e if i'v worked up to a working set of 5-6 at 75kg ill take my 2-3 mins then 2 30kg 'bells and bust out 15-4-2 RP'd or else 2or3 x 12 just to stimulate some growth............

i know the shoulder death fucks ME up but my shoulders are dodge anyway!!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call it balls out tbh, the weight is light enough that I make it through five sets but not so light I feel like I could do another-So I aim to come close to failure without failing. Today I came a little too close.

I'm liking the shoulder death atm, seem to have hit my stride with it. Might use 4kg bells next week and leave it at that for a while. there's plenty of bigger bang for my buck lifts I could do over the next few months, they were just nice for a change you know?

Tbh the thing that's been ****ed up lately is my elbows, the amount of pressing I've been doing has gone up substantially. I'm hoping they'll settle down in time. Shoulders have been sore (like yesterday squatting) but not excessively so. They were fine until yesterday actually, weirdly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Yeah its ****ed up. My inner thigh is almost as bad. :( Funny I was going to ask you about foam rolling, do you use it for your back? As the day wears on my lower back muscles can get tight, the roller really loosens them out, to the point where its weird that my back feels normal! Pity it doesn't last longer, but I'm definitely enjoying the roller and what it does atm.

Don't use the roller on my back, I just don't feel it. My lower back I mean. I love it for my upper back. When I was having the lower back probs I used to just lie on a golf ball and roll around on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How's your bicep work???

And you're right to keep the volume high on the assistance exercises. You're not doing a lot of movements, so you need to do a lot of work on the ones you do do.

I've started to include more biceps work, although I forgot to do some today. Aiming for twice a week of some sort of curl. Did rolling db extensions on the floor for the last set last week cause I saw you suggest it elsewhere, will do it that way from now on also.

Today;

Sumos;
    Some warm up sets with training partners weight, then
    107.5x5,
    122.5x3,
    135x4.
    (all belted)

SLDL (sumo stance)
    55kgx5 sets of 10.

pull thrus;
    31.75x3x10.

pulldown abs;
    41.25x2x20.

Ouch. Need to keep working on form for both deadlifts, sumo is still quite new to me. Got the four I wanted so I will move up weight next month. Not much else to say. Thinking of using snatch grip deads next month as assistance.

• Advertisement

Today;
    dieselcrew warmup

47.5x5,
    52.5x3,
    60x10.

42.5x5x10.

facepulls.
    28.75x3x10.

rolling db exts (on the floor)
    12x3x12.

ez curls;
    bar+20kg,15,15,12.

partial tgu's;
    2kgx2x8 (each side).

Today;
    squat;
    40x5,55x5,62.5x5,
    90x5 (wraps)
    102.5x3 (belt)
    115x5.

70x10.
    At this point I noticed that my left elbow was in a different position to the right and was having trouble forcing it to sit the same way. I may have pushed it a little hard when ducking under the 115. So I switched to front squats.

front squats;
    50x2x10.
    (belted)50x2x10.

db rows;
    24x2x20.

pulldown abs;
    43.75x2x20.

leg press;
    95x3x10.

Was happy with squats, wider stance helped I feel. Unhappy about elbow though, don't think its serious, just weird at the time. Also the reason why I only did two sets of rows. abs were in bits after the front squats and pulldowns. I've been reading elsewhere that beginners can get away without doing a deload for a while but I really feel like I need one. Not sure if I'll even do the prescribed lifts, might just **** about with learning and relearning new lifts. Also found another spot with the foam roller thats pretty sore, just at the base of my back over the hips, absolute killer.

Also I think part of the reason my back is getting sore on the assistance stuff is my core fatigues and then my lower back has to take the strain-I'm going to go back to a lot more stability stuff for core and try and increase time/endurance. I don't know if it'll work, but I can give it a try for a month or two and cross it off the list of things that help if it doesn't.

today;

sumos;
    60x5,80x2x5.

Snatch grip deads;
    60x3 sets of 10.

rack pull/shrug combo;
    60x3x10.

pinwheel curls;
    12x2x10.

Very quick deload session, friend had to be somewhere. Tried some new stuff for the next cycle.

today (just now)
    warm up
    Bench;
    50x5, 60x4,65x3,70x2,75x1, 80x0.

50x3x5.

Machine row;
    40x20,15,12.

rolling db ext;
    14x3x10.

1 legged dl w/rotation;
    8kg ball, 3 sets.

So tried a 1rm, not exactly deload stuff but anyways. 75 felt pretty easy, need to keep working on my set up. 80 came up an inch or two or stuck, no leg drive I think. I think I might be stronger if I bring my grip in slightly, but my triceps feel burnt out really quickly. Will continue to experiment with grip. Otherwise nothing exciting, increases the dl weight and it felt good, easier to stabilise and harder on the obliques. Squats tomorrow.

Today;
    warmup
    military press;
    27.5x5,
    32.5x5
    37.5x10.

Seated db press;
    14kg bells 4x10, 1x8.

chins (jump/hop off step, slowish negative)

bradford press;
    25x3x10.

Did even less during deload week than suggested but whatever. Perhaps could've gotten all the db presses if I hadn't done a set of bradfords beforehand cause we didn't have the bells. Silly. Going to try doing the chins first from now on, might do them in sets of three and perhaps on bench day as well, we'll see what my doms are like tomorrow. It doesn't look they were a lot but probably the hardest my lats have worked in a while.
    Bradford was nice, by which I mean sore and hard. Deads tomorrow.

Today;

bradford press;
    25x3x10.

You're such a T-Nation whore!!!:P

In fairness you do pick out the diamonds amongs the rough tho!

I had already decided to add that one this month and then the ****ers stole my thunder.
    What other ones do you think I've taken from them? I know the rack pull/shrugs also appeared in a recent article, but I had actually picked them up from Hanley's vids/log.

I had already decided to add that one this month and then the ****ers stole my thunder.
    What other ones do you think I've taken from them? I know the rack pull/shrugs also appeared in a recent article, but I had actually picked them up from Hanley's vids/log.

The med ball roll-outs for Lats is whats springing to mind at the moment, but there's others!!

I do it myself... every so often they've some interesting stuff that i throw in to shake it up...

ones i think i got off t-nation

Standing one arm cable rows with a rotation....... amazing movement imo

Hang Curls..........something different for biceps

Voyer Shrug.......... i've yet to be convinced

Oh yeah that's right. The rollouts were decent, but I prefer the partial tgu idea (also t-nation). In fairness they put out so many articles that you'll end up "copying" them in some way just out of sheer numbers. Thought you liked the voyer shrugs? What are the rows, sound interesting?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah that's right. The rollouts were decent, but I prefer the partial tgu idea (also t-nation). In fairness they put out so many articles that you'll end up "copying" them in some way just out of sheer numbers. Thought you liked the voyer shrugs? What are the rows, sound interesting?

Basically this, but i like to put on a bit heavier weight drop slightly lower and pull right back and hold the contraction for a sec ( and supinate the hand to mimic a reverse grip row occasionally).... def my fav exercise.. man i fair miss my cable crossover station!!

Sumos;
    60x5,
    70x5,
    80x5,
    100x5,
    120x7.

Snatch grip deads;
    70x5x10.

pulldown abs;
    31.75x10

*death*

I had intended to do more but was completely wiped after the snatch grips. Hardest session I've ever done I think. Who needs cardio when you've got 5 sets of them to do. I think part of the problem was the chins did a number on me yesterday, core, arms, and lats are all sore from them. Should've done another two sets of pulldowns but honestly thought I was going to chuck lumps (didn't in the end thankfully). I didn't make it easy for myself either since I didn't use chalk or straps for the sng's, might do that next week and keep the weight the same.

Sumos;

120x7.

'Stuff

EDIT: good stuff!

Say what?
    I forgot to mention I forgot my notebook so my sumo weights were off, the top set should've been 127. Oh well.

warm up
    Bench;
    45x5,
    50x5,
    55x11.

Bench;
    45x10,10,10,8,2,6,2,2.

ez curls;
    bar+15kg, 3x8.

rolling db extensions;
    14kg bellsx12,12,8.

Bench continues to confound me, if I use some leg power I slide up the bench, hardly the effect wanted. Couldn't finish the last two sets all in one, probably should've taken a lot more rest tbh. My right tricep felt like it had left my body, couldn't get 12 on the last set of extensions for this reason. Still pretty sore from Monday and Tuesday. :(

Basically this, but i like to put on a bit heavier weight drop slightly lower and pull right back and hold the contraction for a sec ( and supinate the hand to mimic a reverse grip row occasionally).... def my fav exercise.. man i fair miss my cable crossover station!!

aka DC Row - Dante's a big fan of them. I was loving them too late last year!

Jeez i didnt know that!! i thought i wuz going to have a mssive folowing of L rows.... god dammit!!

MOAR close grip benches........... your always bitching about tricep strength!!

Jeez i didnt know that!! i thought i wuz going to have a mssive folowing of L rows.... god dammit!!

Haha for a true DC Row ya push your hips back more and lean into it, sorta in an RDL position, and row from there. I just like to call them Lawnmowers!!

• Advertisement

i kinda sit into it. im going to call it a floating chair row!

Advertisement