Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from injury

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Awesome! I'm thinking of looking around next month when my memberships up, so if they don't bring in some suggestions post haste they'll be losing my money anyways. Power racks and kettlebells for all! :D

Surely GCG??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Surely GCG??

Thinking about it, its more expensive and a good bit out from where I live atm, but on the other hand its actually a decent gym, and doesn't lock all the power racks and **** away to taunt me. Bet it has a proper flat bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Put down a mono for the laugh :P, and 20 power plates! and one of those basketball abb exercise thingymajigz

They wouldn't know what a monolift is! I just want access to the elite section, considering some of the "athletes" that do get to use the facility I think I can match their lifts and its a bit unfair. Plus I could deadlift on the platforms instead of breaking the floor (seriously you should see the trenches up there, its crazy).

i wouldnt wanna lift with the elites. You know, big fish small pond type thing....

• Advertisement

lol there's only a few guys there who deserve to be considered for that title, and I doubt they'd be elite outside of NUIG. There's two proper power racks with deadlift platforms, numerous sharp bars (I didn't think it would make a difference but it does!), a trap bar, tons of ****. Its a nice set up. The worst thing is it could easily have been done in the other gym, or a full power rack put in instead of the ****ty thing they have now. Anyways bed time, meeting supervisor tomorrow. :)

have you tried going into the gym and saying, if i cant train in the elite section i aint renewing?

Nope. I've gone to the guy in charge of it, told him what I want to train for and what I need in it, then been ignored when I seek to follow up.

military press;
    20xlots,
    32.5x5,
    37.5x3,
    42.5x7.

Sumo deads;
    60x5,
    80x5,
    100x5,
    115x5,
    (belt)
    130x3,
    145x4.

Was in a bit of a rush so that's all I did. Happy enough with the press, next month I'll be using my real max at the start of the programme and I'm confident I'll be able for much more than one rep. Deads were ok too, went for a possible fifth rep but must not have been set up right. oh well.

Military press;
    20x12,
    30x5,
    35x5,
    40x8.

Sumos;
    70x5,
    90x5,
    107.5x5,
    (belt)
    122.5x5,
    137.5x5.
    (belt off)
    70x5 sets of 10.

Db bench;
    18's x10,10,10,(8+2)

rolling db ext;
    14'sx8,10,6.

db row;
    40x5, 32x8, 24x10.

partial tgu's;
    4kg bell x 8 each side x 3.

Took a long deload to work on the dissertation which is retrospect was sort of a mistake but there you go. Papers done now and just needs to go to printer so I'm back lifting. Have lots of free time but might be going home for a few days here and there so thought I'd stick to 2 days a week for a little while longer and if I have extra days free go in for some conditioning, some oly ****, chins, etc.. Was happy enough with today didn't know if I'd get 5 sets sumo. Will probably be sore today.

• Advertisement

Saturday;
    squats;
    50x6,
    60x6,
    80x5,
    92.5x5,
    (belt)
    105x5,
    117.5x5.
    (belt off)

box squats to parallel or an inch below;
    70x3x10.

bench;
    20x12,
    50x5,
    55x5,
    60x5.

db floor press;
    16kg x12,12,12,8.

face pulls(shoulder blades pinched);
    21x10, 26x10,10,10,8.

pallof press;
    13x10,10,10 each side.

pulldown abs;
    41x10,46x10,43x10.

1arm pulldowns;
    25x8,8,8 each side.

Ok session, no pr but an easier 5 with 117 than the 3 the previous cycle. floor press was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Mmmmm dumbbel floor press

Have you rejoined the college gym? they keep ringing me, the guy has the worst sales technique ever,

haven't been called yet, half looking at galway city gym depending on whether I get a bike soon or not. I might tell kf I want access to the elite room to rejoin. They'll say no, but its worth trying. What are you thinking about doing?

i will prob rejoin as its location is handy. i wonder what state the floor will be in once we are a few months into the college year. I might just load up a bar and deadlift properly, make some more holes;)

Well since I've started going sumo I've no choice but to drop the bar so I think I'm contributing too. I see in your blog you mentioned a 'sneaky vid' another reason for moving I don't see why I should be persecuted for wanting to know if my lifting is improving. Housemate is offering me his bike when he leaves for australia but I'm not sure I could wait another month.

diesel crew warm up

military press;
    20xlots,
    32.5x3,
    37.5x3,
    42.5x6

db bench;
    18's x5x10.

assisted chins;
    6 :(

braced db rows;
    18's x4x10.

rolling db ext;
    14's x10,10,8.

ez curls +25;

partial turkish get ups;
    4kg x10 each side x3.

Handy enough session. I really really want to be using the 15 plates on the press. took as much rest as was necessary to get through the db bench. Chin ups were ****e, but the rows felt good on the upper back so that compensated a little.

yea the 15s on the press is nice :D

I know what you mean about taking a video, i recorded myself doing some Barbell BORs at home. Felt comfortablem good range of motion, lower back felt fine, watched video, form was AWFUL:eek:, tried again, corrected it, form excellent, really helped.

was in the "Special Room" and as i walked across one of the platforms i noticed/waled on two nice evenly spaced holes, i didnt think it was possible to break these :confused:.

sumos;
    60x5,
    80x5,
    100x3,
    115x3,
    (belt)
    130x3,
    145x1:eek:
    145x3.
    (belt off)
    75x10,10,10.

shrugs;
    75x12,12,12.

two more sets of sumos;
    75x10,10.

1 leg dl w/rotation;
    8kg ball six reps each side of leg, two sets.

Was a little disappointed with the deads today, warm ups felt grand until the first 145 and was touch and go whether I'd get the three the second time. I might keep the weight the same next cycle, the two week lay off might be to blame here.

bench;
    20x12,
    30x8,
    40x5,
    52.5x3,
    57.5x3,
    62.5x8.

db floor press;
    20x10,8,8,8.

bb row;
    20x8, 50x10,10,10,10.

pallof press;
    16x12,12,12 (each side).

Decent enough session today, concentrated on bracing core hard on the bench and think it helped a bit. tried bb rows for the first time in about a year and a half, instead of arching my back I just concentrated on not rounding it too excessively. I'll know tomorrow if I can keep these or not, I hope so. pallof press is pretty cool.

• Advertisement

Saturday;

Squats;
    50x6,
    60x5,
    80x3,
    100x3,
    belt
    110x3,
    125x2 :(

box squats;
    70x10,10,6 (wrists and elbows too sore)

reverse oh lunges;
    15x6,6,6, each leg.

Disappointing session, didn't get the prescribed reps for the first time. Everything felt good until the last sets, it was getting harder and harder to get the bar out of the rack because it has to come over a hook. Tried a lower rung for the box squats but couldn't get it to work and by then my elbows and wrists were killing me, think I had been pressing the heavy weight out of the rack. My shoulders are a bit sore today which seems to reinforce that theory. I guess I'll just have to work on form taking it out of the lower rung. I did have some difficulty with the deadlift this week as well though so depending on how this 5/3/1 week goes I might leave the weight the same for the next cycle. Apart from that I'm a little worried about the lack of volume in my squat sessions the last while, going to have to bring that up.

today.

m.press;
    20x10,
    30x5,
    35x5,
    40x3,
    42.5x9.

db bench;
    20x10,10,10,9.

braced db row;
    20x10,10,10,10.

curls;
    5ft bar+10kg 10,10,10. (various hand positions)

cable rotations;
    8kg left elbow very sore from this almost immediately. stopped.

bench and military press both felt pretty decent today, got a little leg drive going on with the bench. Elbow was ok for these, felt a bit sore during a set of reverse curls and then became very sore during the cable rotations, was trying something new and didn't realise it would be so sore. Still hurting. Was considering not taking a deload but now I think I will and take out all pressing for the week, and also drop accessory presses on bench day this week. The elbow is starting to feel a little better, the guy I live with has some gel thats somewhat similar to liniment so I'm going give that a go when I get home if he has any left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Pffft:rolleyes:

Very helpful as usual dude....

today.
    sumos;
    60x5,
    80x5,
    100x5,
    122.5x5,
    137.5x3,
    155x1,
    165xf. :(

Shrugs;
    80x3x12.

seated leg curls;
    35x10, 55x10,10,10.

1 leg dl w/rotation;
    8kg ball x8 reps each side (16 per leg)x2.

155 was the prescribed, 165 came a few inches off the ground but was too slow.

Squats;
    bar
    60x5,
    80x5,
    80x4,
    100x3,
    120x1.

Hack squat machine;
    40kg x40 (rp)

bench machine.
    40x6,
    60x6x2.

db rows;
    20x12,
    25x10, 25x14.

I had the flu for the best part of the last two months and hadn't been capable of training. I actually began to feel better two-three weeks ago but then sort of relapsed so I made sure to recover as fully as possible before going back to the gym in case it happened again. Today was my first day in Galway City Gym, which is a sweet set up. I was just fapping about trying out new machines really. It looks like my lifts will be a bit down for a while, I thought I'd get more than 120, it didn't feel heavy so much as unusual to have that weight on my back again. Hack machine was cool. I've given up on 5/3/1, I liked each day individually but I need to be doing the main lifts more than once a week, so I'm thinking of following a 5x5 programme of some description for the next few months. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on a programme I could follow please say something.

maybe try bill starrs? podge did it i think.

Had a look at this page; http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5 before, might follow one of the beginner programmes. Unsure how to calculate my numbers at the minute though.

you could just go insane and do doggcrapp :P

• Advertisement

Lol that would be insane since I've no work capacity at the minute and haven't been training long enough to make it worthwhile. But I'll give it a go!!!

Advertisement