Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from injury

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I've given up on 5/3/1

tut tut tut...

Glad you are back & feeling better! Stay out of my log for the next month though just to be sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It just wasn't working for me overall, maybe I'm too much of a noob or something. Lol ok I'll stay clear *cough cough*

Today (forgot my notebook).

Lat pulldown machine;
    40kgx 2 sets, 60x2.

incline bench;
    40x2/3 sets, 50x2.

sumos;
    worked up to a single 140, no belt. couple of sets of 120.

two sets of preacher curls.

Just pricking around again until Monday, getting used to the gym again.

Today;

'warm up' cycle

A; close grip bench press-worked up to 2 sets of 5 with 55kg.

B; db bench- 15's x15,6 :?

C; db row/db pc superset- row=20kgx15,15,12. pc's=3kg x15,12,12.

D; shrugs- 25kg platesx12,10,12.

E; preacher curls-bar+10kg, 10,10,10.

'warm up' consisted of cycling in the freezing cold then standing outside trying to open my new bike lock for 10 mins. Had to bring it back to the shop and get a new one in the end (after the gym of course).

First day of trying wsfsb, not a lot to say about it, already knew my press sucks. Only weird thing was my right shoulder gave me a little trouble on the db press, dunno what I did there but will watch out for it again. Still I am optimistic that I can add 5kg's each week for a while as I try to regain strength lost from being sick.

Hopefully this is a return to proper training and not just for a week.

Today;
    cycle in.

A; Squats 40x5, 60x3,80x3,100x3,120x2, 100x3.

B; static lunges 40x6,6,6.

C; pull thrus 35x12,12,8.

D; .

Lower back was pumped to hell so left the ab circuit just in case. I probably won't do a circuit like the one outlined in the programme, but instead one or two ab exercises that I know I like and that don't aggravate my back.

• Advertisement

before i forget;

A; cgbp- worked up to two sets of four w/60kg.

B;db bench-15's x10,15.

C;db row-25x10x3 supersetted with db powerclean, 3'sx10x3.

D;db shrugs-25'sx10,15,10.

E; some preacher curls. (I ****ing hate curls)

decent session, wrist wraps at least partially responsible for better benching today, right arm/shoulder felt better than last week, hopefully this will continue to improve. Got ****ing soaked on the cycle to and from gym. Moving house tomorrow, adds another few minutes and a hill to my cycle to gym/college, but can't be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

E; some preacher curls. (I ****ing hate curls)

Get to like 'em otherwise you'll end up spending 3months curling like a gimp because you've no biceps whatsoever.....

well thatswhat i did!!

today;

A; squats-worked up to 120x3. (extra rep on last week).

B; lunges-45kgx6x3.

C; pull thrus; 3 sets of 12.

D; pulldown abs with hanging knee raises.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

today;

A; squats-worked up to 120x3. (extra rep on last week).

B; lunges-45kgx6x3.

C; pull thrus; 3 sets of 12.

D; pulldown abs with hanging knee raises.

What is this ABC stuff? Did Sesame Street come up with a lifting programme?

Defranco did you daft bugger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

BossArky wrote: »
    What is this ABC stuff? Did Sesame Street come up with a lifting programme?

It's just easier to sort the exercises, some of Defranco's routines you have to superset so it might work out like;

A:

B1: Superset one here
    B2: Superset two here

C:

etc.

today;

A- db bench; 10x12, 15x12, 20x10, 15x12.

B1-lat pulldown machine;
    30x12, 40x12, 50x12.
    B2-rear delt flyes;
    5'sx10,10,10.

C-db seated shoulder press; 10sx12,12,8,12.

D1- db shrugs; 25sx10,10,10.
    D2- pinwheel curls; 10x10,10,10.

The cycle home was 100 times harder than the above session. The next three four months aren't going to be like this all the time are they??

Defranco did you daft bugger.

Agh ok - good job too. I wouldn't trust any leg programme put together by this fellow:

bigbird300.jpg

So what is the full routine?

You can download the third version for free here; http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp and a little googling will bring up the other two.

I think you basically do one max effort upper and lower day, where you work up to a max set of 3-5 reps on a chosen exercise for a few weeks then swap, and a repetition upper body day. The 3rd version also includes a dynamic day where you do box jumps or whatever, but I don't have the facilities for that. If I can I'll include a repetition lower day in the next few weeks. As far as I can tell its pretty similiar to the standard westside template, except you do several reps on your top weight, there seems to be more emphasis on upper back and more supersets, and possibly more assistance lifts in general. But in saying that I haven't really researched other westside templates so I'm just talking out my ass there...
    I have only being following it for two weeks so can't say whether its a success but I do like the programme, its quick and relatively painless, but I still feel like I did a good days work. Michael seems to be progressing pretty well on it it right now.

Is the 3rd version supposed to be better than the 2nd? Is the 2nd supposed to be better than the first? Or... are they all just variations on the same theme?

Thanks.

Um...they are mainly variations, tweaks here and there. The third version is the most different because of the inclusion of the dynamic day which wasn't in the other two. Other than that I think the main difference is to do with exercise selection, what day abs went on, stuff like that.
    found a link to the first version, and the other two are in the righthand side bar so you can compare for yourself; http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

As to whether they are improved as they go along, I imagine he had reasons for feeling the programme needed to be changed, based on his athlete's performance. But the dynamic day is the biggest change as far as I can see. Oops sorry, the second version includes a lot of dynamic warm up stuff and other things. But whether that could be included in any of the versions is up to the individual, like i said I don't have the facilities for box jumps, or grip training, so I either leave it out or find an alternative. Its pretty open ended, but the basic template is too simple to **** up severely.

today;

A-cgbp; worked up to 65x5, 65x2 (utter fail on the third rep).

B-db bench; 15s x15,9.

C1-db row;25x10x2, 20x10.
    C2-db power clean; 5x10x3.

D-???

E-preacher curls.

got the third rep a few inches off my chest and then it refused to budge, had to bring the bar down to my hips and get up. moral of the story-don't fail. Another bitch of a cycle home, I've had almost constant leg doms the last while from cycling.

A; squat- 40x5,60x5, 80x4, 100x3, 120x3.

B; Bb lunges- 45x8,8,8.

C; pull thrus-45x12, 55x12x2.

D; pull down abs-45x20, 55x20x2.
    (both C and D 'supersetted' with hanging knee raises to try and ease the lower back pumptasm.)

If I ever find out who that bitch of a bmw driver was who sped through the pedestrian crossing when the green man was lit and drove through the puddle to soak me, I will break everything on his car worth breaking. It started pissing rain after that so I was completely soaked two minutes afterwards, but still. Complete arse bandit.

I thought about going for 125 but the last rep of 120 was pretty slow. I thought I had bet last week by a rep but apparently not, balls. Moving onto deads next week anyways. everything else was fine. I miss my belt. Also I need to figure out what bus routes go near the gym, the weather is ridiculous atm. Although it looks like the sun is coming out now.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

What happened your belt? Pretty good squatting regardless

And I hate people who drive through pedestrian crossings too, getting splashed at the same time would piss me off completely.

podge57 wrote: »
    What happened your belt? Pretty good squatting regardless

And I hate people who drive through pedestrian crossings too, getting splashed at the same time would piss me off completely.

Cheers! Its frustrating though cause I think I was probably good for more before I got sick. Nothing happened the belt I just got too fat for it in the past few months! :o It won't be a big deal to train without it for the next few weeks or so, everything feels ok right now and the new squat rack helps. If needs be I can use one of the body-building belts in the gym.

Today; REUB.
    A; db bench; 12.5x12, 17.5x10x3.

B1; lat pulldown machine;60x10x3.
    B2;rear delt flyes; 3'sx12x3.

C;db seated shoulder press; 10x12,12,10.

D1;db shrug; 25'sx15x3.
    D2;pinwheel curls; 10x12x3

tried a little barbell complex at the end with 40kg, 5 reps.

• Advertisement

Today;
    A- Incline press; 20,30,40,45,50,45 (all x5).

B-db incline press; 12.5x12,12.

C1-db rows;25x10,10,10.
    C2-db powerclean;3'sx12,12,12.

D-bench machine shrug; 40x12,60x12, 80x12,12.

E-hammer curls;12.5x10,10,10.

protein came today, huzzah. Last week there wasn't a bench free to put my knee on for rows, did them standing/hand on leg press and really liked the stretch in the lats and the doms that came from it, so did the same this week. Press is as you would expect.

Today;

A-Sumos; 60x5,80x5,100x5,120x3,140x3,145x3. (no belt)

B-db lunge w/front foot on step; 20's x8,8,5.

C-pull thrus; 60x12,10,10.

D-pulldown abs; 30x12, 45x12,12.

4 weeks ago 140x1 was a grinder, so the strength is definitely coming back. last rep on 145 got a bit ahead of me but still got it up.
    db lunges kill my grip. :( otherwise fine, nice exercise.

You're still not really pushing progression on assistance stuff are ya?
    I think you underestimate your capabilities.

posh spice?? :confused:

I dunno what you mean really, lunges were new so I tried 20's, will go up next week. The pull thrus was up from last week. The pulldown abs were lighter, but that was because of the lower back, I just wanted to get some blood flowing. What do you think is off?

MelB?

teh fock has she got to do with anything?? Now tell me what you'd do different with the assistance stuff.

Dunno you're the one that titled you workout melb.

it's not that you're doing anything wrong, you just don't seem to push your progression hard enough imo

Max Effort Lower Body. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

There putting new flooring in the nuig gym, they waited till you had left thoses bastards.

Hows new gym treating you? I was meant to gym today but slept in :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

lol bet its wrecked again in six months. New gym is good, the squat rack is a million times better than the one in nuig. Only thing is it can be a little crowded.

Advertisement