Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

planning in mayo

• 12-04-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

ive found a good site in mayo to hopefully build a house on ,i was granted planning about 6 years ago for something simular and im selling now, does anyone know what the planning requirments are in mayo , i was told by a friend that its getting harder to get planning here in mayo , i have lived and worked in the area for the last 6 years, and the new house will be timberframe with wood burner,
    i also have a half acre site beside the house im selling i was thinking of trying to get planning on this but was told again from this friend that planners dont like people selling their houses and building beside the house they sold ,so i would like to hear from anyone who has had planning refused and what they were refused on ,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It completely depends on the zoning/planning policy of the area.
    The type of constuction of the house is irrelevant when it comes to planning I'm afraid.

Check out the current development plan and zoning for the site or hire a planning consultant to check it out and advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mayoman00

its in a rural setting so where would i find development plan for the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Try here.

If it's in a rural area and not zoned, you will probably have problems getting planning for a second house

why will i have trouble getting it the 2nd time , the nxt house is going to be more engery efficient , and i will need somewhere to live , have you heard of anyone who has sold their house and got refused the 2nd time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One of the regulars here is based in Mayo and should be able to offer some definitive advice. Im sure he will be logged in over the next day or two.

• Advertisement

im getting worried now that if i sell this house and i dont get planning what am i going to do with all this money , im looking to build a better engery efficent house this time , and i dont want all this money sitting in the bank these days as you never no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You could always make a donation to the mods beers night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

There is a National strategy to reduce the numbers of houses built in rural areas because they are unsustainable. Therefore, most planning authorities are looking for the applicants to demonstrate a housing need. OP, you don't have one. Unless the area you are looking to build in is what they call "structurally weak" in which they encourage development, or the councillors in that area exert an unhealthy influence over the planning department, then your chances of getting a second house is slim.

If you came to me and could not overcome these issues, I would not lodge an application for you because you would be wasting your time and money.

However, as mentioned by Muffler, one of the regular posters is from that locality and will have a better feeling for how things are done in Mayo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭mrxireland

i think if u sell your house and have no where to live thats a good point for the planners as u will need somewhere to live , just my thinking but planners might be diffrent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Go to mayo co-council website and use the self service pre-planning system. You just click on the satelllite where your house is to be located in mayo draw the site. SUbmit it and it will tell you everything about the planning locatioon policiy area objectives etc. Then you could bring your print out to one of the pre-planning meetings which are held every wednesday and they will give you a fair idea about the viability of your application. http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/SearchPlanning/SSPS/

• Advertisement

i tryd that and its not saying anything after i click submit. there are to blue rings appeard where the site is , what does this mean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Mayo Man, I live and work in Mayo all the time. Currently if you are in an area considered under urban pressure (there's a vague map in the draft development plan) you are unlikely to get planning on your site. It has become extremely difficult to get planning for one off houses in Mayo since the Minister issued a directive on the adopted development plan which is very restrictive to one off Rural houses in a large area of the county. You also need 3/4 of an acre minimum site size except in one or two circumstances so your 1/2 acre may also not be enough.

Advertisement