Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing blueberries in a container

Options
  • 12-04-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a blueberry bush for the first time . I'm going to fgrow it in a container - what size should the container be? At present it's about 2ft tall and in a 7 inch pot. Also, is it imperative that ericaceous compost be used rather than organic peat free fruit & vegetable growing compost?

I read that they will fruit better if another variety is planted. Does this apply to container bushes also? The existing type is Goldtraube

Also, I had a problem last year with birdseating all of my gooseberries and note that blueberries are also susceptible. I was thinking of making a wooden frame covered with chicken wire which can be placed over the bushes when needed and then lifted off. Is this a good idea? If so what gauge of chicken wire should be used.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

hi yorky......i have a blueberry for the past 5 years, it is also container grown and has been in a fairly large pot (about 18" in dia)for the past 3 years-ericaceous compost is a must for blueberries as they require a fairly acidic soil(4-5.5pH),it will benefit from an occasional potash feed during the season....it is recommended that you should grow 2 differing varieties together to increase yields but to be honest the yield from my single plant has been just fine-its hard to imagine it with more fruit on!

don't really have a problem with birds because its on the patio near to where the dog hangs out,but a frame like you describe should be perfect.
    25mm hexagonal mesh-20 gauge should be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your reply. When you say 'together' do you mean in separate pots within say 20 feet of each other?

Thinking on about the bird protection, the DIY bird protector would be unsightly-any other ideas for bird protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I had blueberries in pots for several years and eventually transferred them into the garden soil adding lots of peat at the same time. The main problem was watering, blueberries need a lot of water and do not like hard (limey) tap water, so it was necessary to have a water butt.
    Having said that, they are very rewarding of your trouble. Just don't skimp on the watering and feed them well. I too only had one plant for the first couple of years but I did notice a marked improvement in yield when I added a second. Plant in separate pots any where in your garden, try and give them a sunny spot out of strong winds.

Thanks. Was the second plant a different variety? My back garden is sunniest but the prevailing south westerly wind buffets it. I hope it won't affect the blueberries.

What did you do about bird damage?

Yes, the second bush was a different variety. Try and give the plants as much protection from wind as you can as gales can break off the flower buds. As to birds, I just put three bamboo canes in each pot and tied pea netting to them, leaving it to drape over the plants, if you do this make sure you use a big enough mesh to allow pollinators in.

• Advertisement

Thanks.How often would they need watering in the event of no rain and how much? The pots are approx.25 litres compost capacity each.

Yorky wrote: »
    Thanks.How often would they need watering in the event of no rain and how much? The pots are approx.25 litres compost capacity each.

I would check them every day for water even if it has been raining. Large plants can act as their own umbrella, keeping the soil in the container dry even if it's p***ing down. I feed once a week with tomato feed during the flowering period.

One of these bushes seems to be a lot healthier than the other:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/Kilnadrain/P1070370.jpg
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/Kilnadrain/P1070369.jpg

Does anyone know why this might be?

The bushes were purchased in April last year and potted up with ericaceous compost. Does this need to be changed annually?

Also, do they need a larger pot? The present ones are 13" diameter.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement