Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Test

Options
  • 12-04-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

Had my local exchange enabled last week and had the BT sales reps to the door during the week. They had to check what options were available to me and did this by putting my eircom account number into something on the guys mobile.
    Out of curiosity does anyone know what this would have been, he made it seem like it was a website or something?
    Also my line past the line test as did one of my brothers across the road. My other brother who lives about 30 yards away his line failed. Now he is slightly further away from the exchange so I can understand it for that reason, but another house further up the road and further away from the exchange past the test. How is this? My brothers house is about 6 years old while some of the other houses that past the test are over 20 years old and the phone lines are in since the houses were built.
    Just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

He was just using the online line checker on his phone, theres one on all the DSL providers websites, the information on the checkers is all linked to Eircom's database.

As far as your brother failing goes, it can be for any number of reasons, poor internal wiring, him being on a split line, interference with something etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

god was it as simple as that I thought maybe it was but then thought that sounded to easy and that he was using some strange technology!
    thanks for that

is there any way of checking what speed ill be able to get before my broadband is installed?
    I signed up to the BT Option 2 and was told by the sales rep that im guaranteed at least 3mbit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

jrochie wrote: »
    is there any way of checking what speed ill be able to get before my broadband is installed?
    I signed up to the BT Option 2 and was told by the sales rep that im guaranteed at least 3mbit

Dialup speed is usually a decent indicator of what sort of speeds you will get, distance from the exchange can usually give you some idea too. You really won't know for definite until you get it in though. As far as him guaranteeing you 3mbit, he is a salesman and in no position to guarantee you anything, you won't know till the time the modem gets plugged in. If you are close enough to the exchange you should have no trouble getting 3mbit.

I thought it was strange that he was guaranteeing me that. I'm just over 4km from the exchange, and generally get around 50k on my dial up connection

• Advertisement
Advertisement