Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

askea chapel

• 12-04-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

was at mass this morning in askea.just wondering who designed this building ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Dont know who designed it to be honest. All that I could find on the net was:

The site acquired for the church was part of the farm of St. Dympna’s Hospital, Carlow. Askea Church was opened in a ceremony performed by Bishop Patrick Lennon. The first resident priest in Askea from 1976 was Fr. Francis MacNamara C.C. Holy Family Church served as a relief church for the Cathedral Parish, which in the previous twenty years had experienced a considerable population growth. Most Rev. Laurence Ryan constituted Askea as a new parish in 1990. It continues to be a mensal parish, like the Cathedral, with an Administrator leading the parish on behalf of the Bishop, who is technically the Parish Priest.

The church is of a unique architectural style, oval in shape. The image, which inspired its design, is the Old Testament moving Tent, which contained the Ark of the Covenant during the period after the Exodus, when the people of Israel wandered through the desert towards the Promised Land. Thus the roof is of a particularly unusual design.

The tabernacle is a scale replica of the building. The seating arrangement accords with the curvature of the outside walls and slopes towards the sanctuary. The resulting effect is one of greater participation in the liturgy. The baptistery and the tabernacle areas balance each other on either side of the altar area. Thus great prominence is visually given to the two Sacraments (Baptism and Eucharist), through which members are imitated into the family of the Church.

The Stations of the Cross are unusual in that they are painted directly on to the brickwork. The artist was Willie Early.

Repairs were made to the roof in the late 1990s. The interior of the church has been completely refurbished during Jubilee Year 2000.

The roof has also been recently been repaired and the whole roof is now sheeted in copper!

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Askea.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Architect: Mr. E. Quinn. Building contractor: D. & J. Carbery

http://www.igp-web.com/carlow/Askea.htm

This info is from the description of the webpage on Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

big g's to my good girl queen mise knows where the info is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

its all in the search words you use on google. Love how you can find things in secs nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Not linked to the question, but a story you might find amusing.
    The Church itself has a website, http://www.askeaparish.ie. For quite awhile, the church newsletter carried a link to the website http://www.askeaparish.org (now no longer online). Let's just say the content on that particular site at the time was more concerned with what the internet often preaches rather than the church :D

• Advertisement

and then i lol'd!

but i think the worst thing they did for askea, was putting that damned copper roof on, it makes it look like crap, and imo, will get worse as the years go on, with weathering etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

It'll go green alright given a few years, but thats what its supposed to do. They clad a small part of the I.T. in copper a few years back when they were building the new library and wanted the old 'green' look to the copper so they tried to artificially age it, but, made a mess of it! :p.

Has to be better than the roof that was on it anyway, last time I was in there was a few years back before they started putting the new roof on and there was buckets here and there on the floor collecting the drips, and there was a fierce smell of damp.

well they made a mess of alot of buildings around the i.t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

question answered

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement