Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What software/hardware do I need to record a story to a cd?

Options
  • 12-04-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I'd like to record a story onto cd (about 25 minutes long) with some music in the background for my daughter when Im not there to read a bedtime story. I do not need it doen professionally so what software do I need, how much is it and can I do it via my pc (yes Ive a cd /dvd writer).

Also whats the best way to mix the background music in..have it play as I read or record me reading to 1 cd and the music to another and mix them somehow? If so ..how?

Thanks in advance..any helps, hints, tips and links much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Audacity is probably your best bet - it's free too. You can record the voice, import a music track, mix them, even add some sound effects if you wanted. The export as a Wav file and burn to CD as an audio track.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Lump wrote: »
    Audacity is probably your best bet - it's free too. You can record the voice, import a music track, mix them, even add some sound effects if you wanted. The export as a Wav file and burn to CD as an audio track.

John

Thanks John..is this done ona pc and if so what would I need..just a microphone which goes into the back of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Most sound cards will have a Mic in connection, check that yours does before you get too excited - It should be circular and pink coloured. Yea, you can use the software on a PC.

John

Lump wrote: »

John

Thanks John..Ive final magaed to record the story to audacity. How do I go about mixing in some music for the background? I have the music on cd so just need a tip or pointer on where to go to "mix" them. Can this be done on audacity?

Edit : Ive managed to import the cd to audacity but it seems to be condensed into about 4 seconds not the 13 mins the track is supposed to take.. anyone know why this is or what setting is at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Old Gill wrote: »

Edit : Ive managed to import the cd to audacity but it seems to be condensed into about 4 seconds not the 13 mins the track is supposed to take.. anyone know why this is or what setting is at fault?

Straight forward advice here on how to do it.
    http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_import_CDs

• Advertisement

thanks deliverance.. Ive imported the background music but now when I record the story the sound seems to fade. Ive tried it on audacity and sound pad and for both even if I say the same word 6 times by the 6th it is much much lower than the 1st time. So if i record the story it gets much harder and harder to hear. Does anyone know what setting this may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Old Gill wrote: »
    thanks deliverance.. Ive imported the background music but now when I record the story the sound seems to fade. Ive tried it on audacity and sound pad and for both even if I say the same word 6 times by the 6th it is much much lower than the 1st time. So if i record the story it gets much harder and harder to hear. Does anyone know what setting this may be?

Impossible to say really, I don't think enough info is given. If it were me doing this... I would open a new project in audacity, record said sound, save it as a seperate file. Then import it as a new track into the original project and see how that goes?

Info on sound recording here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXOOHOzCHHY

Hope that helps.

Advertisement