Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Navy

• 12-04-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I just wonndering does anybody know what the number "P21" for example on the naval ships actually means?
    I know that Emer is P21, Aoife - P22, Aisling - P23...... but what does the number actually mean?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Generally the first digit is determined by the class of the ship, the second is the number in the sequence.

P21, P22, P23 are all Deirdre class.
    P31 is the sole Eithne
    P41 and P42 are the two Peacocks
    P51 and 52 are the Niamhs.

Doubtless the next ship will be P61. And so on.

NTM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

and 'P' = Patrol Vessel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

thanks guys! I always asked myself anytime I saw one of the ships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There was also CM10, CM11 and CM12(Coastal Minesweepers), as well as A15 and A16(auxiliaries).
    The corvettes had no letter Prefix, just 01, 02 and 03. Though it could be argued that the initial digit was O rather than 0. O1, O2 and O3. In RN service these vessels would have had the letter K in the pennant number.

Advertisement