Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This memory card good enough for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

will you not be needing CF cards for your Mk II? or are ya using your 450D instead?

would you have access to a computer?

how many cards you'll need, would depend on the bands and how much you plan shooting a certain band.

eg. you may only take 10 shots of band x, but band y could have a brilliant stage presence and take ten times the shots you take of band x.

i'd make out a list and make out a rough shot count for each band you think you're going to cover then when you make out the final card count, add an extra two cards for safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd be sticking to the HDMI 8Gb's for the Mk II - Ext. II takes a while to write, and having an empty buffer is always handy at a gig/festival!

Oh, they're SD cards btw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

haha of course I need CF cards lol, I hate the layout of that fcking website...
    I shall go back and attempt to find the CF card section. :o

Actually for safety sakes can someone link me to the cards I should get? I assume its a Sandisk Extreme III 8gb/16gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I have my AAA photo pass for the biggest Punk Rock festival on the planet in a calender year this summer and it is 4 day and nights of non stop bands.
    I have a 8gb Ducati Sandisk extreme III but it was expensive and I will probably need 4-5 cards...and I think from what I've read and learned since I got it that it may have been overkill.
    I shoot in raw but Don't shoot in burst mode so was thinking this card may well be good enough?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=104850
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=104635
    It's 8mb and the 16mb is good value too but would be worried if the card became corrupt so prob better off with the 8gbs.
    gb...If i were you,i'd get a smaller size maybe 4gb so if they corrupt you won't loose as many pics..

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=6&type=6010&man=146&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

these are the sandisk CF cards they have. don't just look at sandisk though, whilst they are excellent there are others other there as good i.e. Kingston.

as you's can probably see, i've researched my next camera body purchase a little TOO much :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yeah Ricky I am thinking about the 4s from a safety point of view.
    Cremo, Kingston were the brand of card that let me down at a christening I did for a m8, I was totally mortified.
    I shall never leave Sandisk's side again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A friend of mine bought 2 Kingstons from a shop, beside another friend who bought another 3... All 5 of them failed in succession. Put me off 'em for life tbh. Lexar & Sandisk have always been the business for me, or the occasional Fuji if I don't need the speed.

Yeah Ricky I am thinking about the 4s from a safety point of view.
    Cremo, Kingston were the brand of card that let me down at a christening I did for a m8, I was totally mortified.
    I shall never leave Sandisk's side again!
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought 2 Kingstons from a shop, beside another friend who bought another 3... All 5 of them failed in succession. Put me off 'em for life tbh. Lexar & Sandisk have always been the business for me, or the occasional Fuji if I don't need the speed.

didn't think they were that bad, i had one for my 450D before i got the sandisk but i must admit i was a camera newbie when using it, dare i say, full auto mode :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What may be a better idea is to get one of these not necessarily from that site though.

It will allow you to drop your files onto it when the card is full & then reuse the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I'd be interested to know how many people have had corruption issues with the Sandisk III Extreme 16 Gig. I have one and no probs. Seems to me to be the minimum to use with the 5D MkII when shooting Raw & Jpeg.

Is this just people being scared of something they have no experience of I wonder? (Well it is something we Irish excel at)

• Advertisement

not scared as such, i can totally see the point of more smaller capacity cards than one big huge card.

take one 16gig card and 4 x 4gig cards. will give the same amount of shots but there's are greater risk with the 16gig card, what if you're taking out of your pocket, and it falls in a puddle, if this happens with the smaller cards you may lose just one or two and can salvage the other two cards.

i wouldn't think corruption is the main deciding factor - although it's there - but the scenario i mentioned above can ruin the whole weekend if just relying on one card.

it's the same with hard drives, a lot of the time companies use lots of small hard drives in RAID 1 that allow for data mirroring as a fail safe, if a drive fails they have a mirrored copy on another drive.

Point taken. But how many Raw and full jpeg shots fit on a 4 Gig card I wonder?

i can get 200+ raw files on my 450D on my 4gig card each raw being between 12-14 megabytes. don't know the raw sizes for the 5D mk II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I've got some CF card choosing to do myself soon. Going on safari in late august. Will have to do some sums and see what number of cards I need too.

I think the 4gb is a good size - matches up with DVD capacity - so if you're on yer travels you could just hand each card into a lab / picture machine and easily get them burnt to disc.

Just checked a few I took yesterday with Simon's. They are nearly 30Mb not including the Jpeg which is an extra 7Mb. That's why you need the 16Gig. In a year or two 4 Gig wont exist methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Howitzer wrote: »
    ........I think the 4gb is a good size - matches up with DVD capacity - so if you're on yer travels you could just hand each card into a lab / picture machine and easily get them burnt to disc.

I was going to mention that too :)
    I've done this a few times while on holidays, saves a lot of hassle just handing over the card. Usually have 3 x 4gb with me, labelled A, B & C.
    Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The sandisk extreme series are indestructable...... Was on the iniskees last summer and was changing the cards on the pier. I Fumbled and you can guess what happened. Plop and into the water.

Out comes the landing net for fishing and twenty minutes later one soaked cf card. A day in the sun drying had it back to normal :)

Thank god for extreme cards lol

edit. I agree for smaller cards. Nothing bigger then 4gb. Dont put all your eggs in one basket!

Advertisement