Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going abroad....but where?

• 12-04-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all.

Basically my question is in the title. I'm a postgrad student graduating this summer with no real job prospects on the horizon. I've accepted a long time ago that my future job might not be relevant in any way to my studies - but my problem is that I can't seem to find anything to apply for in any field!

I'm thinking of heading abroad for a year or two, but I'd love to know where would be a good place to go. Obviously, Australia would have been lovely but the recession seems to be hitting home there at the moment. I've heard Canada has some job prospects.

Basically, I'd love to hear about anyone's knowledge or experience of where would be a good place to go. BTW, I don't have any good knowledge of European languages save a few words from secondary school.....

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thats_life

from what i heard Oz if full....Canada is tough to find work.

Why dnt you try do some of those english teaching courses, then you can go to asia, central america etc..Life the life for a few years and by the you're back..ireland will be de-sessionised.

what ya reckon?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

You could also consider going abroad to get a job not in your field for a year or two, experience and wages.. not too bad? I know people say Australia is full but they still had that move-to-Australia-fair in the RDS recently, so you never know?

My concern would be going and not having any savings etc. It could be the experience of a lifetime though. Definitely worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I mean I have no qualms about getting a job that isn't in my field - i realise how things are and i'm open to anything really.

My problem with somewhere like Australia is that I could head there, spend ages looking for work, find nothing, and end up coming home massively out of pocket. I realise by going abroad you are taking the risk of not finding work (similar to staying here in Ireland). I'd just like to pick somewhere that I would stand a good chance of finding some kind of work.

The TEFL isn't really something I've considered, but I'd definitely keep it in mind. I guess I'm just hoping people will throw out some alternative ideas, or just let me know of their own experiences. As everyone knows, there's a big difference in asking this question now, as opposed to a year or two ago, when jobs were plentiful everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Give Russia a go, there is a demand for marketing and business management professionals, i.e those who can analyse a company and suggest ways of improving it.

Russia is now desperately looking for ways to improve its ailing companies and local industries. Since the business operates under more Westernized practises, there is a relative shortage of people who can provide new morernized management practise. There are young people in that area too, but there are actually not very many young people in Russia (in proportion to general population)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Bellies

Russia sounds good, but would you be working for the Russian Mafia?? :D Are these positions advertised anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Probably need to speak Russian though? I agree generally that Russia would be a good place to try and get into. I have a mate there in Moscow - doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 zyrafa84

South America. Find a good job teaching english and go there, it is amazing. Avoid Venezula and Bolivis(and Peru), Brazil, Chile and especially Ecuador rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

I am considering going to Russia for a gap year. Ive studied Economics too but wouldnt mind doing a Celta/Tefl course to teach English over there (Ive been learning Russian for a few yrs now too). Anyone know any programs or anything like that which one could go on to work there? (teaching English; I kinda mean something like the i to i program) I have looked on the net but it is difficult to gage which companies are good to work for and which are reliable.

For anyone considering going to Russia, at least have a grasp of Cyrillic and know some phrases or you may struggle =) Fantastic country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

graw wrote: »
    I am considering going to Russia for a gap year. Ive studied Economics too but wouldnt mind doing a Celta/Tefl course to teach English over there (Ive been learning Russian for a few yrs now too). Anyone know any programs or anything like that which one could go on to work there? (teaching English; I kinda mean something like the i to i program) I have looked on the net but it is difficult to gage which companies are good to work for and which are reliable.

For anyone considering going to Russia, at least have a grasp of Cyrillic and know some phrases or you may struggle =) Fantastic country.

You'll have to speak with the Russian Embassy in Dublin, and ask them if there are any graduate or employment schemes in Russia that will take on non-Russian students.

Advertisement