Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamping in Balbriggan Train station....

Options
  • 12-04-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭

.....today. I got one. I did not know it was pay & display, as I never use the train, but even if I had, I doubt I would have paid and displayed as the main street in Balbriggan is free of a Sunday, and I would have (wrongly) assumed it to be the case there too.

Anyway, I am 120e worse off, and considerably closer to the edge, so I hope this episode might prevent the same thing happening to some of you here too by spreading it on Boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I suppose most of the car park users would just take note of all the signs saying it's pay and display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I suppose most of the car park users would just take note of all the signs saying it's pay and display.

Fantastic contribution.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Fantastic contribution.
    I didn't realise it was a shoulder to cry on you were looking for.

Simple sense would dictate that you (people in the future) would have taken notice of the multiple sings (and a very large sign at the entrance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'm just shrugging this one off. I posted to warn off others, looking for nothing. Certainly not looking for a "shoulder to cry on".
    Why you took it upon yourself to be so condescending , I cannot fathom, but I suppose it takes all sorts to make the world turn.

Fair enough, I suppose the lesson here to everyone is to take notice of signs which are put up to inform us of things.

Happy Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can put the handbags away now thanks. Be nice. HB

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

OP you got clamped on a Sunday:( you poor thingg that really really sucks! I would never htink to pay for parking on a Sunday.

I got clamped a few years ago in the station for parking in an unmarked space but not blocking any cars,people parked there every day so i didn't think there would be an issue.
    About a week later the vlamping signs went up around the car park,I never did appeal it but had I ,I probably would have got my money back as there were no visible clamping signs.
    grr

Moonbeam wrote: »
    OP you got clamped on a Sunday:( you poor thingg that really really sucks! I would never htink to pay for parking on a Sunday.
    Would you park on private property on a Sunday without thinking about paying for parking much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Jimdagym wrote: »
    .....today. I got one. I did not know it was pay & display, as I never use the train, but even if I had, I doubt I would have paid and displayed as the main street in Balbriggan is free of a Sunday, and I would have (wrongly) assumed it to be the case there too.

Anyway, I am 120e worse off, and considerably closer to the edge, so I hope this episode might prevent the same thing happening to some of you here too by spreading it on Boards.

Fair play to ya Jim. Wouldn't have thought you would have to pay on a Sunday. Thanks for raising awareness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

up around croke park well within 15-20 mins walk is mostly pay and display son sunday. anyone going to matches watchout when the championship kicks off. Clampers park off the side roads, then within minutes of people leaving they lcamp them. the signs are disgraceful too, tends to be 1 small sign in the middle of the road that is easy to miss unless you walk by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Would you park on private property on a Sunday without thinking about paying for parking much?

You just don't stop do you Bluetonic??

Your narkiness and willingness to jump on other peoples posts only encourages my pity of you.

I know that this is only going to elicit a dry /smug/narky response from you, so be it; maybe just try and be a little nicer to posters here.

The OP was unfortunate in their scenario and was trying to help in preventing the same misfortune befall anyone else, thank you for that OP.

Definitely what is not required are glib comments from individuals (of your type!) and peoplejust being a grump for the sake of it.

Hill Billy, if there is a ban coming my way, so be it. I just had to get this off my chest.

The floor is yours Bluetonic; I will not be responding further on this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would presume it was the same as all the other outside pay parking in the town and free on Sundays.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would presume it was the same as all the other outside pay parking in the town and free on Sundays.
    Glebe North offer daily pay parking yet it's not free on a Sunday.

Making presumptions and not reading the signs which are erected to inform us of the rules and regulations is a little silly.

Chopperdog 2 banned for a week for ignoring mod warning. HB

I was down there this morning and there are blue signs up all over stating paid parking is 24x7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I got clamped at train station in Jan just after christmas
    Both ticket machines wouldnt take my money (2euro coin) was running between both machines for about 10min. I gave up, rather than be late for the train and stuck sign on car - MACHINES NOT WORKING AT TIME XX.XX
    Got clamped - then cried. Then rang them - and explained THEIR machines didnt give me ticket etc. They didnt want to know - perfect customer service n all. 125euro gone first week on the year - plus some 'person' left a dirty nappy under my car, so I could run over it while backing out of car space.
    Sent of letter and complained (left out the dirty nappy bit) and asked them to check their records of machines not giving out tickets between certain time and date.

RESULT - got refund, they took their time though and had to send out letter twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thanks for the headsup OP!-Bluetonic-duno y you bothered postin at all ffs!

rccaulfield banned for a week for ignoring mod warning. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Seriously, if i got clamped, first thing i would do is call my mates with the angle grinder....

but then again i dont drive :P

Anyway. Ouch on the fine, thats fairly sucky. I dont think they should be charging you to park there anyway though cause its another mode of transport and elaving the car at home!

Seriously, if you advocate illegal practices on this forum you'll cop a ban. HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Africa wrote: »
    Seriously, if i got clamped, first thing i would do is call my mates with the angle grinder....

but then again i dont drive :P

Anyway. Ouch on the fine, thats fairly sucky. I dont think they should be charging you to park there anyway though cause its another mode of transport and elaving the car at home!

Only reason they're charging is to stop the spanners who aren't using the train from using them and to make a few quid. In fact I reckon it's more to ease the overcrowding and cream the cash off the top - they say the money will go into security but I reckon bigger carparks would be more welcome.

Most of these station carparks are perfect for multi-storey car parks which could be sunk into the ground or built up to increase capcity threefold. But IÉ can't seem to run two trains in the same 30mins in the one direction (are all the drivers colorblind, maybe?) so the overcrowding would be immense.

Advertisement