Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wormer ..Problems?

Options
  • 12-04-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi - i've just used a small half tablet dose of Drontal - weighed and checked dosage to suit etc. I read online Bayer website and on the packaging that there are few side effects.
    I just wondered has anyone had any problems with dogs using Drontal? I've read a few forum posts about some dogs getting severe vomiting/diarorhea as a side effect?

So far so good, he got it at 11am today - and had 1 feed since...just wondering what to expect tonight :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Never had a problem with the Drontol worming tablets as long as you have the dosage right then there should be no probs.
    Like with any medications for pets or humans they have to list potential side effects, so a small % of pets may have some side effects but in general it's an ok wormer. I've used it on various dogs over the years with no side effects.

No harm in keeping an eye on the dog if you are worried, if there were any side effects it probably would of showed up within a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I wouldn't be too worried, all of the wormers available from vets including Drontal are generally very safe to give, they have wide therapeutic ranges and if given at the correct dose you would be unlucky to have any side effects. By law all of the pharmaceutical companies must give information on possible side-effects, its not there to worry you, just to let you know that its a possiblity. Check the data sheet that comes with every drug, there's always a long frightening list of 'what could happen', its not an indication that its likely to happen. You might get a transient bit of diarrhoea or upset tummy, particularly if the dog has lots of worms, but there is nothing in the drug itself that is harmful to the dog.
    You're far less likely to get side-effects after giving a good quality product like Drontal than if you used a cheaper one from the supermarket. If the dog is not showing any signs of anything, I wouldn't worry. The dog could react badly, but its unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I second what everyone else has said. If you read the leaflet enclosed with something like paracetamol which most people take without any trouble you'll find loads of possible side effects also. What you must bear in mind is that the side-effects are possible not probable. I've used drontal on my dog in the past and it's been absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! :) All is still well and he's in grand form. I was very careful with the dosage, so it's good to hear that once you stick to that, there are generally no problems. It's good to hear how other people found it too. Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've literally dosed thousands of adult dogs with Drontal here at EGAR. And I've never had the slightest problem. However, for puppies and sick dogs which need to be wormed, I use Panacur Liquid wormer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

I have one other little question arising from this....all good this morning and he went to the toilet etc....however there was still a small thing that looked like a worm in the 'sample'

(apologies for this description!) It wasn't moving but looked like spagetti - just like what i saw yesterday (which is what prompted me to buy Drontal)

Is that to be expected shortly after the dose? (ie- are the worms coming out?) Or should I not really be seeing anything at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, perfectly normal, depending on the grade of infestation etc. One worm isn't a bad infestation, just make suer you remove the sample with the dead worm in it. Burn it, preferably.

Advertisement