Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu,motherboard?

Options
  • 12-04-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

hi
    have been looking to buy a motherboard. have a cpu already its bus speed is 800mhz and the motherboards ive looked at are around 1300/1600 front side bus will it make any difference to put my cpu into them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

What cpu do you have?
    What GFX card do you have?
    Are you going SLI or standalone?
    Have you got memory for it ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

have been looking to buy a motherboard. have a cpu already its bus speed is 800mhz and the motherboards ive looked at are around 1300/1600 front side bus will it make any difference to put my cpu into them

Short answer: Nope, its all good :)

Long answer: Motherboards that can run at, say 1600FSB have lower settings (usually user-defined via BIOS or jumper switches) allowing the use of 800/1066/1333FSB CPUs. Just check the mobo's compatibility list to make sure your CPU is compatible then once purchased follow the instructions in the manual to drop the default bus speed to 200MHz or FSB800. What CPU is this anyway? E5200? E21/2200 series? Or older than Core2?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

ya its older than core 2 its Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4Ghz with h.t. motherboard has been giving me trouble and was luckin at swapping over bits to a new one. its a couple of years old a fair few. have a brand new computer running q6600 cpu on a asus motherboard p5k3 deluxe with vista.but some of the games i own only work with winxp. so wat are the chances that a new motherboard will be compatible with an outdated cpu.

Advertisement