Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cut/fill hatch

Options
  • 12-04-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm new here. Is there a hatch available for batters/slopes? Its not standard in autocad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

There is a way to create your own hatches, can't remember the exact steps but you should find it easy enough in help (custom hatches)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

KAGY wrote: »
    There is a way to create your own hatches, can't remember the exact steps but you should find it easy enough in help (custom hatches)

You may be referring to Superhatch which is in Express tools / Draw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

Excuse my ignorance, what are batters:o?? Are you looking for a hatch pattern to represent insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

mal_1 wrote: »
    You may be referring to Superhatch which is in Express tools / Draw

I was refering to editing the .pat file; here's part of the help file
    In addition to using the predefined hatch patterns that are supplied, you can design and create your own custom hatch patterns. Developing a hatch pattern definition requires knowledge, practice, and patience. Because customizing hatches requires familiarity with hatch patterns, it is not recommended for new users.
    The hatch patterns supplied by AutoCAD are stored in the acad.pat and acadiso.pat text files. You can add hatch pattern definitions to this file or create your own files.
    Regardless of where the definition is stored, a custom hatch pattern has the same format. It has a header line with a name, which begins with an asterisk and is no more than 31 characters long, and an optional description:
    *pattern-name, description
    It also has one or more line descriptors of the following form:
    angle, x-origin,y-origin, delta-x,delta-y,dash-1,dash-2, …
    The default hatch pattern ANSI31 shown in the Boundary Hatch and Fill dialog box looks like this:
    and is defined as follows:
    *ANSI31, ANSI Iron, Brick, Stone masonry
    45, 0,0, 0,.125
    The pattern name on the first line, *ANSI31, is followed by a description: ANSI Iron, Brick, Stone masonry. This simple pattern definition specifies a line drawn at an angle of 45 degrees, that the first line of the family of hatch lines is to pass through the drawing origin (0,0), and that the spacing between hatch lines of the family is to be 0.125 drawing units.
    Hatch pattern definitions follow these rules:
    Each line in a pattern definition can contain up to 80 characters. You can include letters, numbers, and the special characters underline (_), hyphen (-), and dollar sign ($). However, you must begin a pattern definition with a letter or number, not a special character.
    AutoCAD ignores both blank lines and text to the right of a semicolon.
    Each pattern line is considered to be the first member of a line family, created by applying the delta offsets in both directions to generate an infinite family of parallel lines.
    The delta-x value indicates the displacement between members of the family in the direction of the line. It is used only for dashed lines.
    The delta-y value indicates the spacing between members of the family; that is, it is measured perpendicular to the lines.
    A line is considered to be of infinite length. A dash pattern is superimposed on the line.
    The process of hatching consists of expanding each line in the pattern definition to its infinite family of parallel lines. All selected objects are checked for intersections with any of these lines; any intersections cause the hatch lines to be turned on and off as governed by the hatching style. Each family of hatch lines is generated parallel to an initial line with an absolute origin to guarantee proper alignment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

3dsteel wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, what are batters:o?? Are you looking for a hatch pattern to represent insulation?

batters are slopes of embankments usually at a grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

Thanks Jonty! I was having a bit of a blond moment :o, I should have picked that up from the title of your post; "cut/fill"!!

I don't think it's possible to write a custom hatch for this (I can't think of a way of doing it anyway!)

If you want to use a hatch pattern you could use the ANSI31 hatch twice, ie use 2 separate boundaries. See attached sreengrab. Make the scale of the hatch in boundary no 2 half that of boundary no 1.

If it were me I'd write a lisp routine.

Advertisement