Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 3G not on O2

• 12-04-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

anyone have a unlocked / factory unlocked iphone 3g on some other network? any limitations with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I unlocked one for my mate, he uses it on Meteor.
    No problems apart from a dropped signal at max two or three times a month.
    Just requires a restart and its fine. Everything works perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

towel401 wrote: »
    any limitations with it?

No limitations with factory unlocked iPhone on 3 or meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

3DataModem wrote: »
    No limitations with factory unlocked iPhone on 3 or meteor.

Can you confirm that it works on 3 as I saw an iPhone on ebay for sale today (original version) that stated it will not work on 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Can you confirm that it works on 3 as I saw an iPhone on ebay for sale today (original version) that stated it will not work on 3?

Could have been an original (non-3G) iPhone? 3 don't support EDGE devices.

I am posting this from an iPhone 3g which was factory unlocked using a 3 sim. I also picked up my email, updated my software, and watch YouTube videos today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Could have been an original (non-3G) iPhone? 3 don't support EDGE devices.

Thanks that explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

3DataModem wrote: »
    I am posting this from an iPhone 3g which was factory unlocked using a 3 sim. I also picked up my email, updated my software, and watch YouTube videos today!

awsum

*is happy for you*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

3DataModem ,

Where did you get the factory unlocked iphone as i am looking for one to use on Vodafone , also when iphone O.S 3.0 is released in June / July do you know if it will be possible to update with no problems .

I purchased it in the Saturn Meir shop (a big electronics chain) in Antwerp, Belguim. They are available all over the place.

Any iPhone (or any mobile phone for that matter) purchased in Belgium will be unlocked out of the box. You cannot sell a carrier-locked or country-locked phone in Belgium. Nor can a carrier subsidise a phone's price.

I update my software at the moment normally via iTunes, no problems. The same will apply when I update to 3.0. I have an Irish-registered itunes account that works perfectly.

The phone costs about €500 for the 8gig and €600 for the 16gig (at least it did in December).

The only downside is that if you have a problem and want to get an in-warranty repair you have to send it to Belguim. HOWEVER this is not really a problem as you can ship it directly to the company that handles repairs for Apple and they will send it back to you!

Basically, it is super-awesome:D. No jailbreak, no yellowsnow, no nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Thanks 3 ...have a trip to Holland in the near future , might just drop off at Belgium for the day and pick one up as it seems the ideal solution

• Advertisement

Good luck.

Note; one or two unscrupulous or ignorant shop assistants in phone shops told me the iPhones were country locked, but that is definitely not the case.

I advise going to a large chain (eg Saturn) and buying it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

That's two reasons to go to Belgium this year (The Grand Prix and the unlocked iPhones) :)

Just out of curiosity, seeing you bought the iPhone in Belgium, when you switched on the phone, was the software in English, French or Dutch?

The first thing you see is the "connect to iTunes" pic with the emergency call slider. IIRC the slider message was in Dutch.... But as soon as I activated it with iTunes it changed to English.

Advertisement