Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed gambling club to overlook graveyard

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

robtri wrote: »
    all I can say is everybody has the right to object to any planning, that is the result of living in a democratic state,

While I disagree with the quakers reasons for the planning objection, I support their right to make the objection,

Actually planning objections are not democratic since only one person gets to vote. It's more like a veto that knocks the application back to Bord Planala... Don't know why people associate planning objections with democratic rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Cabaal wrote: »
    If the synagog gave land to the city as a "gift" and had a graveyard there then yeah they should have input in it ;)

The property does not sit on the grounds that were given to the City Council!!

And as far as democratic is concerned (if you read the front of the Munster Express), they seem to be pi$$ed with the Council primarily and are now using (or in others opinion abusing), the system to make their point. Totally, undemocratic system!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

merlante wrote: »
    Actually planning objections are not democratic since only one person gets to vote. It's more like a veto that knocks the application back to Bord Planala... Don't know why people associate planning objections with democratic rights.

they are democratic in that anybody can lodge an objection to any planning application...

they are democratic in that anybody can lodge an objection to any planning application...

The most liberal planning system in the Western world. The system as it stands is abused!

But they are not democratic in that it only takes one person to send an application to Bord Planala, even if 1,000 people want it to go straight through. The council decision seems far more democratic to me, at least elected representatives vote; but one person unilaterally sending the decision to an unelected body does not, at least, feel democratic even if anyone can actually do it.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    But they are not democratic in that it only takes one person to send an application to Bord Planala, even if 1,000 people want it to go straight through. The council decision seems far more democratic to me, at least elected representatives vote; but one person unilaterally sending the decision to an unelected body does not, at least, feel democratic even if anyone can actually do it.

I can see what you are saying...
    but our planning laws are democratic, everybody can object, so that one persons voice can be heard and given the respect it deserves...
    an Bord Planala, don't have to agree with that one person, but that one person has the right to be heard...

but our planning laws are democratic, everybody can object, so that one persons voice can be heard and given the respect it deserves...
    an Bord Planala, don't have to agree with that one person, but that one person has the right to be heard...

Even in that sense, democratic does not necessarily equal good. You wouldn't run a hospital on a democratic basis.

I think you should have to get a few names to object to something, and it's probably for the best the Bord Planala is a bord and not a public vote. Individuals shouldn't have a say in everything, but some individuals are nuts.

Are we sure that everyone's voice is equal when it comes to planning matters??? If you try and please everyone, you will end up with buildings designed by committee. You only have to look at the poor architecture in Waterford relative to the other cities in Ireland. Even, towns like Kilkenny, Athlone and Wexford has surpassed it. Why, because there are too many people in Waterford that know how to work the system. When an application goes before the Board, they generally add conditions by way of compromise for the objector (look at the statistics in An Bord Pleanala) and low and behold, we are left with mediocrity yet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

the quakers have objected on moral grounds
    in a democratic system in th planning system

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

foxylad wrote: »
    the quakers have objected on moral grounds
    in a democratic system in th planning system

You seem very close to the whole story. What's your connection?

• Advertisement

well butty wrote: »
    Are we sure that everyone's voice is equal when it comes to planning matters??? I

well depends on how big your brown envelope is......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

all I can say is everybody has the right to object to any planning, that is the result of living in a democratic state,

While I disagree with the quakers reasons for the planning objection, I support their right to make the objection,

:pac::pac:

If your not in politics, you should be :D

well butty wrote: »
    Are we sure that everyone's voice is equal when it comes to planning matters??? If you try and please everyone, you will end up with buildings designed by committee. You only have to look at the poor architecture in Waterford relative to the other cities in Ireland. Even, towns like Kilkenny, Athlone and Wexford has surpassed it. Why, because there are too many people in Waterford that know how to work the system. When an application goes before the Board, they generally add conditions by way of compromise for the objector (look at the statistics in An Bord Pleanala) and low and behold, we are left with mediocrity yet again!

What bad architecture do we supposedly have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Oh hello Brendan :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cityboi

aone know where this quaker graveyard is --?
    was down that way last night ---
    no sign of anything
    not even a sign!!!

any one any input???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cityboi wrote: »
    aone know where this quaker graveyard is --?
    was down that way last night ---
    no sign of anything
    not even a sign!!!

any one any input???

Why the need for another two accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »

LOL :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »

site bannable offense here on boards ;)

Okay, I am going to close this thread for the moment until we figure out its future. There are a few too many people posting with hidden motives (not the club in question) which I think is unfair and misleading.

Any problems, PM one of the mods.

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement