Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of moving to arklow

Options
  • 12-04-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi all i am thinking of buying a house in arklow, town centre

could anyone tell me what its like please. ie anti socail behaviour and street gangs and so on.

i hope i dont offend anyone who is from arklow,that is not what i wanted but i just wanted to no

Comments

All those things are there but no more prevalent than any other town of it's size.
    I've lived there most of my life and never came across any of it short of a bit of loutish behaviour as the clubs close on a saturday night.
    It's a friendly town.
    Theres good value in houses and appartments there like anywhere now and a frequent bus and train service to Dublin.
    Where exactly "town centre" were you considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I wouldn't agree with that. Have you tried Greystones/Gorey?

In recent years Arklow has become very run down especially the main st. since Dunnes moved with the exception of Bridgewater. Arklow definitely has a very high concentration of skobes/knacks. Underage drunks/drug issues/boy racers tearing around estates/N11/town at all hours are very prevalent. At night it doesn't feel like a safe place to be.

It has lots of good points, excellent bus and rail services, Dunnes/Tesco etc but it's reputation as being a rough town always manages to shine through unfortunatly.

The best way I can sum up Arklow is by comparing it to North Dublin City in Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

All those things are there but no more prevalent than any other town of it's size.
    I've lived there most of my life and never came across any of it short of a bit of loutish behaviour as the clubs close on a saturday night.
    It's a friendly town.
    Theres good value in houses and appartments there like anywhere now and a frequent bus and train service to Dublin.
    Where exactly "town centre" were you considering?

i was on daft and i saw some apartments called Riverside apts,going only for 160k and its a buyers market,plus its not too far from dublin where i work.

im not to bothered about the drunken behaviour after clubs its just the fookers who try to intimidate people i cant stand them,and i have a temper on me so i would fook one of them in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

i have a temper on me so i would fook one of them in the river.

If the tide's out, they'll just stand up and walk out of it though !

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

My girlfriend moved there several months ago.

Been there a good bit since. Not a bad spot at all - She and I had heard all the same stuff you had, but it has not lived up to its bad reputation.

Like everywhere it has some undesirables, but nothing that would separate it in my opinion. Actually, I have found the place nice, so has she.

And if you're looking for 'north Dublin city in Wicklow' (not that you would be), I'd say Bray would be a lot closer to the mark.

As regards apartments, I wouldn't buy one. Look at two bed houses within walking distance of town, there's great value to be had right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

In about 1992 or 93 I worked in Arklow in IFI a during an upgrade for about 6 months. I lived in the north of Co. Wicklow at the time so I drove home each day. Most of the crew lived in different parts of Dublin and opted to stay in Arklow in a hotel. They all hated Arklow! They felt it was a violent place full of gangs and boy racers.

One of the apprentices was mugged at knife point. I must admit this guy was more than a little "dim" and when I heard someone was mugged I knew it would be him!

I am not trying to run down Arklow I am just saying what happened. I would hope that things have changed since then. I imagine with the bypass and Bridgewater it has.

I know lots of people live there and commute to Dublin, but I dont know how they keep their sanity doing this. Off peak it is a long drive and if you get the timing wrong it can take an age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

hi all i am thinking of buying a house in arklow, town centre

could anyone tell me what its like please. ie anti socail behaviour and street gangs and so on.

i hope i dont offend anyone who is from arklow,that is not what i wanted but i just wanted to no

There's drugs and bad behaviour in arklow the same as any other town but it's not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

petals wrote: »
    There's drugs.... in arklow ....
    Yeah, but where, exactly?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Went out for a few drinks in Arklow one night and bumped into someone and apologised straight away ( total accident place was packed )
    Anyway I got jumped on straight away, and by the time I got the little scumbag young one off me and threw her off me her fella hit me a smack in the face.
    Nice eh? Put me off the place for life!!
    Now in saying that the bouncers were very good and threw them all out straight away.
    Not a good place for a quiet night out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Went out for a few drinks in Arklow one night and bumped into someone and apologised straight away ( total accident place was packed )
    Anyway I got jumped on straight away, and by the time I got the little scumbag young one off me and threw her off me her fella hit me a smack in the face.
    Nice eh? Put me off the place for life!!
    Now in saying that the bouncers were very good and threw them all out straight away.
    Not a good place for a quiet night out!!

I could guess straight away where you were. And inform you that's where the majority of court cases in the town originate.

Or I could just be wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

I could guess straight away where you were. And inform you that's where the majority of court cases in the town originate.

Or I could just be wrong..

S*lly's I think it was called down the bottom of the street :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

esel wrote: »
    Yeah, but where, exactly?

down by the river.

Advertisement