Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 Embassy Interview

• 12-04-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I was just going through the checklist for my J1 embassy interview when I noticed something. Students in their final year (like me) are required to bring evidence that they are coming back, which I take to mean a job offer. I don't have any job lined up for after graduation. I figured that between final year projects/exams and the current economic situation, that now was not the time to be looking for a job. I've asked a friend about this and he advised me to tell them that I'll be working for my Dad after graduation as he is a registered electrician with his own company. The thing is, I'm a terrible liar, and it seems like a very dodgy idea to tell them something that could completely unravel under questioning. I fully intend to come back, I just have no way of proving it. Has anybody got any advice? Should I just tell the truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

Just tell the truth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

camroc wrote: »
    I was just going through the checklist for my J1 embassy interview when I noticed something. Students in their final year (like me) are required to bring evidence that they are coming back, which I take to mean a job offer. I don't have any job lined up for after graduation. I figured that between final year projects/exams and the current economic situation, that now was not the time to be looking for a job. I've asked a friend about this and he advised me to tell them that I'll be working for my Dad after graduation as he is a registered electrician with his own company. The thing is, I'm a terrible liar, and it seems like a very dodgy idea to tell them something that could completely unravel under questioning. I fully intend to come back, I just have no way of proving it. Has anybody got any advice? Should I just tell the truth?

Meh it's only if customs pull you in which probably won't happen. I'm in the same boat and I'm just saying that my parents gave me an ultimatum to come home for my graduation or they'll disown me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

OP, the interview is a joke, I wouldn't worry unduly. :rolleyes: I went to California in 2007, the interviewer asked me why I wanted to go. I said nice people, nice weather and plenty of work, immediate rubber stamp. :D

If you have anyone belonging to you who can write any form of a cover letter to say you're going into a family business as an intern or some job like that then I'd say that should more than cover you, if the interviewer decides to even investigate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

You need to prove you are not an intending immigrant, so anything you can do to back up that fact then that is what you will want to be mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

I am also a fourth year student, I got a letter from my current college saying I plan to do a masters in September. At the interview I was just asked when the interview for the masters was.

Dont worry, its a doddle!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

That's great, certainly put my mind at ease. Thanks to all who replied! Very much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Going by me and all my friends interviews last year you wont even be asked I wouldnt worry too much about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Sorry for going a little off topic but I've seen this mistake time and time again.

Customs don't care if you're legal or not, customs won't pull you for not having a visa, immigration officials will !!
    Wikipedia:
    Customs is an authority or agency in a country responsible for collecting and safeguarding customs duties and for controlling the flow of goods including animals, personal effects and hazardous items in and out of a country..... The customs agency may be different from the immigration authority, which monitors persons who leave or enter the country, checking for appropriate documentation...

Now that that's cleared up... the embassy interview is a joke, a waste of the money it costs to get up to it, that said I think they are quite strict on you having something to show that you have a reason to come back.

Advertisement