Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website advertising / sponsorship

Options
  • 12-04-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Can any one tell me how much traffic you would need to attract advertising and sponsorship to your website?

As one of the many people dumped out of work due to this recession I am trying to think outside of the box! I am looking at setting up a site that would be a free service with the hope of generating some revenue from advertising..

Cheers,
    Derick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It all depends on the context and your audience. A small well targetted audience could sometimes yield more revenue than a large, but transient and varied audience.

What's the service you want to offer?

It's certainly possible to make money from a site, but the general thing seems to be that you probably need to work at it a serous amount, it's not something you can do part-time. If you can write or provide real, unique information, then you'll attract and audience, and you can try monetize that.

Also, if you can generate revenue through other channels than advertising, then that's that'd be a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭derickmc

The site i am planning is a different approach to connecting the public to service providers and helping get the best price. The audience would be broad (if i can reach them - hoping to use a few contacts to get some media coverage).

For the site to work I am going to need a lot of service providers to register and by having them online attract a lot of traffic from the general public. With everyone cutting costs charging service providers isn't really an option, otherwise they would more than likely not sign up or drop out quickly if they didn't see immediate results. Then the whole thing would fall apart.

My aim and only option as far as I can see is to become a useful resource, attract traffic and then hopefully generate some revenue from advertising. What I am wondering is how much traffic I would need?

Is there a majic figure? Would 5000 or 10000 unique visitors per month be a point where advertisers might be interested in coming on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

derickmc wrote: »
    Is there a majic figure?
    Quite simply, no, there's not.

I'm sure there's some more people here, and on Irish Webmaster Forum who might be able to give you some more statistics though.

Advertisement