Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatically reconnect USB Modem

• 12-04-2009 7:38pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a couple of Huawei E220's that I use with both vodafone and three for work. On occasion where broadband is unavailable on a site, we leave one of these there and have people dial out when needed if the connection drops.

Is there a way to have the usb modems automatically connect to the internet? I did try to set it up as a dial up connection, and set it to redial when the line was dropped, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Basically looking for a "always on" button I could tick. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I looked into this a while ago and couldnt find an answer. it's not a huge deal for me so I didnt spend a huge amount of time on it.

However when I did set up Internet Connection Sharing on my laptop (to share broadband access to my other computer), it did connect itself automatically. What I mean is that when I had ICS set up on the laptop, I would just power up the laptop and a) the software would run automatically from Startup and b) the connection to the provider (i.e. clicking connect) would be initiated automatically.

Although this was more by serendipity rather than by design, you may be able to work out something using this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi there,

I had the same problem, but i have it sorted now. The trick is not to use the user interface from o2, three, or vodafone. Connect through the connections tab in vista or xp. Before you do, hit properties, click redial if line is dropped, UNCHECK the "Prompt for phone number", put 50 or more in the number of times to redial, and select ten or more in the seconds to wait tab.

This worked for me, hope it works for you.

PS, everytime you open the user interface from the service provider it RESETS the defaults for the connection, so dont open it!

Ken

Advertisement