Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion photography, what lens to choose?

• 12-04-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi, as im doing alot of fashion photography here in norway at the moment, the 50mm 1.8 is not good enough. If I stand to close, or have the aperture at 1.8, the images gets blurry. So im considderning buying a new lens. Can you guys recommend any? I have a very low budget, so dont recommend a canon from the L series or anything :P Btw, I have the canon EOS 50 D camera.

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Isar wrote: »
    Hi, as im doing alot of fashion photography here in norway at the moment, the 50mm 1.8 is not good enough. If I stand to close, or have the aperture at 1.8, the images gets blurry.

The "images gets blurry" ?? Are you talking about the depth of field if you're shooting at 1.8 ? If thats the case you could try stopping down , it might make the world of difference :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Where are you shooting?

What do you do want to do with the images?

Do you understand the fundamentals of exposure & optics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

The shoots ive been doing lately has mostly found place outdoors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

TBH to me it s]does not sound like the problem of the lens but rather it not being controlled correctly.

If you are shooting at f1.8 then of course you will get a narrow depth of field. This may not be ideal especially if the point of focus is not exactly where you want it. I would think that choosing a smaller aperture may get you better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, there's no definitive lens to get the edge with any sort of photography - Do you have any examples we can see, and maybe give you tips on the 50 1.8, before moving on to spending another few bob?

If it's just a case of wanting to get a new lens, I'm sure we can sort that out too though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I don't understand that someone who has spent quite a large sum of money on a 50D would have this issue...Is it that the subject you've focused on is soft or un sharp?This might mean you have a bad copy of the lens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

50mm should be grand... try shoot closer to f8, tis a bit sharper i gather round there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Can you post some examples of the photos with the 'problems' you want to correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Isar wrote: »
    the 50mm 1.8 is not good enough.
    Well you're wrong there. There's nothing you can't throw at that lens tbh. IIRC, It's one of the better lenses for fashion photography.
    If I stand to close
    :confused: There's a minimum focus distance on the side of the lens....of course if you go closer than that it'll be out of focus.:rolleyes:
    or have the aperture at 1.8, the images gets blurry.
    I do believe that's DOF....Y'know, something you'd have the lens at f/1.8 to achieve?
    So im considering buying a new lens. Can you guys recommend any?
    If you can't use the 50mm right why buy another lens? I recommend learning to use the lens you have first.

Advertisement