Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam in Bathroom ( extractor fan ? )

Options
  • 12-04-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    We built our house by direct labour and are in about 2 years, the biggest hassle we had was that the trades rarely tipped us off if they saw a better way to do things . .

We have a problem with our ensuite where we dont have an extractor fan to take the shower steam away and rely only on the small opening window.
    It would be a big job to install an extractor fan as the walls have stone on the outside and same with the walls from the attic

Is there an extractor fan that can 'sit' in the window opening or would it be easier to make a hole in the windows ( double glazed ) rahter than cut through the walls and stone ?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

How about installing it in the ceiling? Lot easier to do and will also find it handier to get your power chord to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

How about installing it in the ceiling? Lot easier to do and will also find it handier to get your power chord to.

That sounds like the only practical place. If you put it near the outside wall then you could run a duct from the fan out through the soffit with a grille on it to keep insects out and to prevent the steam from causing damp in your attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

+1 ceiling and out through the roof tiles. I actually think this is the best soluion of all. You can fit a non return valve half way to save on drafts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

+1 ceiling and out through the roof tiles. I actually think this is the best soluion of all. You can fit a non return valve half way to save on drafts.

I wouldn't go through the slates, I'd rather a vent in the facia. Less likely to have leaks with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

reilig wrote: »
    I wouldn't go through the slates, I'd rather a vent in the facia. Less likely to have leaks with this.

This is why you fit a non return valve. But I agree better chance of leaks cause cowboys dont use the right roof tile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 -AS

thanks for your help guys

I dont think the attic will be an option as the bathroom has a seperate attic from the house and access is closed unless we open a new attic door which would look bad in the bathroom

I think our only option is to bite the bullet and cut an opening through the wall, which hopefully wont cause too much pain being stone clad . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

-AS wrote: »
    thanks for your help guys

I dont think the attic will be an option as the bathroom has a seperate attic from the house and access is closed unless we open a new attic door which would look bad in the bathroom

I think our only option is to bite the bullet and cut an opening through the wall, which hopefully wont cause too much pain being stone clad . .

I'm no expert on stone cladding, but breaking through it to install a vent could, I suspect, cause a lot of problems. The stone is fixed to the wall and is of an entirely different density to the main structure. I would think you would need to hire a professional company to make the hole at least.

Advertisement