Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVI problem sorted

• 12-04-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Folks just found a way to combat the "an update is needed to play this even though you already have this update sittin right there on your hdd microshaft probably wanna see what you are watchin" annoyance

If you create a new dummy profile on the machine (silver free one) and delete the update, then try play the file. You will be told you need the update and it will download (havin connected to xbox live) the update. Sign out and voila you can play as many avi's as you like without needing to sign into live

Hope this helps :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I had that problem and just DL'ed the update again and it worked perfectly since. try it before going through the long process of a new GT and live account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what avi formats are compatible with the xbox player.
    I'm try to convert MKV files, and am given loads of options as to what type I want to convert it to, but most of the resultant conversions won't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

GAAman wrote: »
    Folks just found a way to combat the "an update is needed to play this even though you already have this update sittin right there on your hdd microshaft probably wanna see what you are watchin" annoyance

If you create a new dummy profile on the machine (silver free one) and delete the update, then try play the file. You will be told you need the update and it will download (havin connected to xbox live) the update. Sign out and voila you can play as many avi's as you like without needing to sign into live

Hope this helps :)

Going to try this later on as I used my xbox to play all my vids on my tv. Is it easy to delete the update? Where can you find it to delete it? To play the vids then does it mean I have to sign in with my dummy account every time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I had that problem and just DL'ed the update again and it worked perfectly since. try it before going through the long process of a new GT and live account.

Yeah but you will find that you will get the message alot sooner then if you create the dummy account, just to give you an idea i havent actually had to do what i wrote in the op since then :)
    segasega wrote: »
    Going to try this later on as I used my xbox to play all my vids on my tv. Is it easy to delete the update? Where can you find it to delete it? To play the vids then does it mean I have to sign in with my dummy account every time?

Only saw this now sorry, you probably have already done it but just in case you havent, the update is in system settings- memory- system items and it should be the second in the list there, just select it and delete is the only option there and no you dont need to sign in on the dummy account every time you want to play the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Ye I got it sorted, the update had just got rid of the video update, so just had to re-download it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement