Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU may force wireless carriers to allow VoIP on cellphones

• 12-04-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-42003-118.html

EU may force wireless carriers to allow VoIP on cellphones
    PDF Print E-mail
    Business and Law
    By Wolfgang Gruener
    Friday, April 10, 2009

Brussels (Belgium) – The European Union (EU) is preparing binding guidelines for wireless carriers to allow VoIP services such as Skype to run over their cellular network. EU Telecoms Commissioner Viviane Reding stated that there “action” should be taken against carriers that use their market power to block “innovative services.”

The decision of wireless carriers across Europe to prevent Voice-over-IP applications from taking advantage of traditional cellular network connections has struck a nerve with the EU. A report published by Germany’s Handelsblatt newspaper states (article in German here) that the EU has already prepared a draft that would open smartphones to VoIP services. However, “the wording is not as clear as the EU would want it to be,” the publication said.

Right now, each EU country has to decide on how they deal with blocked Internet services. Telecoms Commissioner Viviane Reding recently asked those countries to take legal action against companies that use their market power to “block innovative services.” Handelsblatt also said that Deutsche Telekom’s decision to block VoIP may prompt the EU to look into possible antitrust charges against the carrier. T-Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom.

VoIP has always been a touchy topic with traditional telecom companies – first on landlines and now we are seeing a similar, albeit much more dramatic, scenario in the wireless field. The fact that devices such as iPhones and the G1 are tied to wireless flatrates would allow users to make much cheaper phone calls via the carrier’s data network and services such as Skype, circumventing much more expensive cellular network calls and more expensive voice plans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i like the way they always mention the iPhone, G1 and Skype but never say a word about the E-series phones which have supported VoiP as standard since about 2005/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

towel401 wrote: »
    i like the way they always mention the iPhone, G1 and Skype but never say a word about the E-series phones which have supported VoiP as standard since about 2005/6

This annoys me too. I'm wondering if this will stop the carriers from removing the VoIP software from phones as well as allowing it on their network

Advertisement