Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Buckley, Live at Sin É, Tuning

• 12-04-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Could any Jeff fans help me out with this? Normally I'm very good at working out what someone is playing by ear, but I get the feeling that Jeff is using some odd tuning when he played Live at Sin É, which is making it pretty awkward.

Can anybody shed any light?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Which tune in particular? I'm pretty sure they're all standard tuning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

In particular, Dink's Song, but it sounds like he's using the same tuning for every song.

I know he uses open G tuning for Last Goodbye (well, usually) so I thought it might be that.

I've been messing around with it in standard tuning. Its sounding ok!

Dink's Song? Hmmm not familiar with that. Is that on a re release of Sin É or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Its on disk 2, however I'm not sure if my copy is a release of Sin É or not. Dink's Song is a Bob Dylan cover. As far as I'm aware, Dylan didn't write it either.

Its grand though, I've worked out some awkward chords in standard tuning, with a little practice, it might sound nice!

Disc 2 must be a new thing as Sin é doesnt have a disc 2!:D Its only an EP.
    this old Jeff buckley tab site is pretty good...
    http://members.tripod.com/~captaintab/jefftabs.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Zapho wrote: »
    In particular, Dink's Song, but it sounds like he's using the same tuning for every song.

I know he uses open G tuning for Last Goodbye (well, usually) so I thought it might be that.

I've been messing around with it in standard tuning. Its sounding ok!

Dinks song is a great song, I think he got the idea from Bob Dylan. From what I believe its a plantation song. A song of no origin that would be sung by the cotton pickers years ago.

You can play it OK in standard tuning but soon as you start strumming hard a lot of unwanted notes will come out.

Its in OPEN E tuning and yes he uses that tuning for some other songs during the set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Sin é was released as a full album (fullish anyway) a couple of years after the ep release.

I remember seeing a documentary on him and Jimmy Page is on it saying something along the lines of, you think he's using odd tuning for certain songs but then realise it's usually in standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Sin é was released as a full album (fullish anyway) a couple of years after the ep release.

I remember seeing a documentary on him and Jimmy Page is on it saying something along the lines of, you think he's using odd tuning for certain songs but then realise it's usually in standard.

The above song the posters talking about is in open E tuning, if you listen to the full album you can hear him regularly tuning the guitar up and down to various different tunings for different songs, Open E, Open G, Dropped D.

Advertisement