Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velvet Revolver

• 12-04-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

What the hell is the story with this band? They put out two pretty decent albums, but they've been without a singer for a year. Any ideas on who the new singer will be? Or if they can even stay together...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Libertad was a decent album? News to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Libertad was a decent album? News to me!

Hehe touche Raven! ;)

Nah I think they were a good band, but tbh I'd rather there was a G n R reunion. As thats not gonna happen, I'll settle with them! :o

Hehe touche Raven! ;)

Nah I think they were a good band, but tbh I'd rather there was a G n R reunion. As thats not gonna happen, I'll settle with them! :o

I've always felt they were a glorified supergroup and never meant for the long term. I'm prepared to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I remember reading somewhere that the new singer was an Irish guy? could have been on this site actually.

Yeah it was mentioned here a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Heard Lenny Kravitz was jamming with them and in the frame for frontman!!!!

Dozyart wrote: »

I heard that rumour a year ago too. ;)
    On a serious note, it won't happen. You'll seldom see someone who's had huge success going into a band, at least for the long term (unless it's a reform job). David Bowie tried it in 1989 with Tin Machine, and hated it primarily on the basis that he felt he was restricted.

Even Steve Vai admitted that he couldn't handle working with the likes of Devin Townsend and Terry Bozzio for the Sex & Religion album in 1993 as a collective effort, for very similar reasons. And also the fact that he unfairly tried to mould them into what they not only couldn't but didn't want to be.

If VR were to try that with Kravitz, it would be the ultimate end for the band, and Kravitz will only benefit from the extra attention for a comeback album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dozyart wrote: »

That rumour was knocked on the head by Duff last year, and he said that although he is great friends with Lenny, that if he joined they would become an 80's parody band, and he said the same of the rumours about Sebastion Bach.

Chris Cornell was also rumoured at one point as was Chester from Linkin Park.

We knew full well that Sebastian Bach wasn't gonna happen either, given his close ties with Axl Rose too. :)

We knew full well that Sebastian Bach wasn't gonna happen either, given his close ties with Axl Rose too. :)

And given the comments made by Axl of late about Slash, there will be no reunion on the cards. Even Slash's missus came out and said that if Axl has something to say, that he should say it when Slash is in front of him rather than from miles away.

It all has a very Bon Jovi versus Motley Crue feel to it now, as that spat in the 80's is what came to mind when I heard Axl's comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

He is however going to appear on Slash's solo album which should be good, there's gonna be loads on it, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Fergie, Izzy, Duff, Jerry Cantrell! Gonna kick ass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

check out the new Loaded album (Duff's band). much better than velvet revolver imo

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

i like "sick" but a bit poppy in parts, loveed the e.p which has the best songs from the album!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

superweld wrote: »
    check out the new Loaded album (Duff's band). much better than velvet revolver imo

I'll have to check that out so, cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

I've always felt they were a glorified supergroup and never meant for the long term. I'm prepared to be proven wrong though.

speaking of supergroups has anyone checked out "chickenfoot" chad smiths new group,havent heard the album but gettin good reviews ,is it worth a listen

sos33 wrote: »
    speaking of supergroups has anyone checked out "chickenfoot" chad smiths new group,havent heard the album but gettin good reviews ,is it worth a listen

Chickenfoot are sounding pretty good. There was a few songs that they did live online, and if you go to itunes, there is a Chickenfoot podcast, and one episode of the podcast is a montage of songs from the new album.

I heard a couple of Chickenfoot samplers, Satriani and Hagar work really f*cking well together if truth be told.

Their album is due for release next week too, i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

Kess73 wrote: »
    Chickenfoot are sounding pretty good. There was a few songs that they did live online, and if you go to itunes, there is a Chickenfoot podcast, and one episode of the podcast is a montage of songs from the new album.

thanks for that kess my hard rocking amigo;)

I heard a couple of Chickenfoot samplers, Satriani and Hagar work really f*cking well together if truth be told.

Their album is due for release next week too, i believe.

They do work surprisingly well together, and Smith really sounds well on the drums when not confined to the RHCP sound.

It does sound a bit like Van Halen in places, but with two ex VH members onboard, that is no shock, and to be honest, sounding like a good VH in places is hardly a bad thing.

Satch, for me, is the big surprise on this. He seems to work really well in the band set up at Chickenfoot, having reined in some of his play and letting off the fireworks at the right times.

Advertisement