Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build; questions

Options
  • 12-04-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Gonna be replacing what's in my sig come the start of the summer. Don't think anything is salvagable so will be starting fresh. At the moment I'm looking at:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 (€225)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400  (€142)
    Antec 300 (€53)
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2 (€87)
    Vista home premium 64 (€86)

Dell S2209W (€200)
    or
    Samsung SyncMaster T220HD (€230)

Motherboard: ?
    RAM: ?
    PSU: ?

Comes to about €800

I'll be using it almost exclusively for gaming. I have no desire to overclock. I want the whole thing to cost in or around €1000.

Could some one suggest suitable motherboard, ram and psu? Have no clue what to look for here.
    Is it still better to get a duo for games or should I be looking at quads?
    Any input on the monitor? Definately want a 22".
    Anything coming out in the next month or two that I should keep an eye on?
    Anything else you'd recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Psu - Corsair 450w or 550w.
    Motherboard - Asus P5Q is pretty good.
    Ram - Go for 4GBs. OCZ or corsair for brands I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at that board it says it supports "PC2-6400, PC2-5300, PC2-9600, PC2-8500" RAM.
    Is it as simple as the higher the number the better or is there more to it then that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Seifer wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at that board it says it supports "PC2-6400, PC2-5300, PC2-9600, PC2-8500" RAM.
    Is it as simple as the higher the number the better or is there more to it then that?

yep

Was hoping for a bit more input :/
    Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 4096MB
    I want very good ram but I don't want to spend money on ram that is designed for overclocking. Would the above be what I'm looking for or could someone recommend something better?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could go with pc6400. It's not as good as 8500 but I doubt you would notice any difference.

• Advertisement

Studying for exams is allowing me to put my procrastination skills to good use and I've been reading up a lot on various bits and pieces.
    I'm thinking of going the amd route instead with:
    AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM2+ (€175)

MSI K9A2 Platinum, Sockel AM2+, ATX, PCIe (€111)

What are peoples' opinions of that board? Seems a great price for the slots it has.
    I've been reading up on how easy it is to overclock the B.E. Phenom II's so will most likely do that. I'll probably overclock the 4890 too and since this board supports a full x16Crossfire set up, I'll try pick up a second radeon 4890 in the future. .
    So what wattage PSU would I need to cover me for those possible upgrades?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless you're playing GTA4 or doing lots of heavy-duty not-gaming stuff the X4-940BE will give you little benefit - it's hungry, won't be any faster in most games and can't be OCd as far as a good Intel E8X00 series CPU (although they're easier to).

Arguably the X3-720BE is better for gamers, as its cheaper and uses a fraction of the power but gives a balance between speed and cores and can still hit good speeds under OC, a bit of a lottery though - some cap out around 3.6GHz where others easily hit 4.2GHz, and most will have a "everyday usage" cap somewhere between 3.5-3.9GHz - usually the lower end of these spectrums hit those that try to use them with AM2 mobos but some are just meh pieces of silicon. It'll still carve up almost any game, including massively-multicored PS3 ports *cough*GTA4*cough*, for less than a E8400. But then you'll need DDR3 RAM... and while it's better than DDR2 it's also a bit pricier.

CFd HD4890s is demonic, especially under OC (they were made for that, you could say ;)) Downside is power consumption - a HD4890XT downclocked to mimic a HD4890Pro may sip at the juice but a HD4890Pro OCd to beat its higher-binned brother will happily devour over 180W.

I'm aware of the fact that the higher clock speed is the most important factor for games but I've decided I want to go quad-core to be some what future proofed if they do decide to start making use of them. The Phenom chip is only 30 euro more that the Intel dual core and allows me to get a much better board for the same price.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    CFd HD4890s is demonic, especially under OC (they were made for that, you could say ;)) Downside is power consumption - a HD4890XT downclocked to mimic a HD4890Pro may sip at the juice but a HD4890Pro OCd to beat its higher-binned brother will happily devour over 180W.
    Just looking at hardwareversand, all their 4890 are more or less the same price and none are designated with either the pro or XT affix, can you link to somewhere that shows the difference in price/spec/etc?

The traditional "Pro" and "XT" tags were applied by people because ATi failed to give the two variants seperate names; ironically they were simply going to call them "" and "OC" but this predictably ended in anarchy as their board partners started OCing the regular (Pro) version and selling them as "fake OC" parts and asking for prices to match. The "true OC" (XT) parts are distinguished mainly by higher-binned chips which result in reduced power usage and higher potential speeds, and the GPUs were to be uniformly clocked at 850MHz (Pro) and 900MHz (XT) but there are now lots of lower-binned RV790s masquerading as their higher-binned counterparts with "OC" in the name and sometimes even the same clock speeds (but more usually 880MHz as 900MHz can rarely cause stability issues with the lower-binned parts) so its almost impossible to distinguish them now :(

If you wondered how big the difference is between the two GPU binnings then when X-Bit downclocked the XT to the same speeds as the Pro it used a fair bit less power than the HD4870, maxing out around 121W. At the same speed the Pro would be gobbling up a lot more than the 130W of an HD4870. Also, few "Pro" cards hit 950MHz while remaining stable; while the "XT" can fly past 1000/4800MHz GPU/memory.

Of course, if you did come across a manufacturer-OCd HD4890 over 900MHz stock, odds are its the higher-binned version. But the price would probably be horrendous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't need to read websites anymore, just stalk solitaires posts for all the info I need in the hardware world. ;)

• Advertisement

So would a 650W Corsair be enough to allow me to OC a Phenom II and run two 4890's in crossfire, or would I need more?
    Also, anyone know why hardwareversand only stock the Antec 900 and not the 902?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I wouldn't even feel safe with my current 750W if I had an OCed phenom and 2 4890s. 650W I doubt would run them at all, and if they did it might crash when you stress test it. 750 would run it alright but you would be pushing the PSU really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

So would a 650W Corsair be enough to allow me to OC a Phenom II and run two 4890's in crossfire, or would I need more?
    Also, anyone know why hardwareversand only stock the Antec 900 and not the 902?

I've seen quite a few benchmarks and it really seems that all AMD processors are way of the pace of the core two duos!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/Unreal-Tournament-3-1680x1050,819.html

Those are Phenoms, not Phenom II's.

I wouldn't even feel safe with my current 750W if I had an OCed phenom and 2 4890s. 650W I doubt would run them at all, and if they did it might crash when you stress test it. 750 would run it alright but you would be pushing the PSU really hard.

*cough*Antec Signature 850W*cough* :D

In reality if you could get a good 650W with 4*PCIe you probably could get a moderately OCd X3-720 (i.e. no insane voltmodding!) and two stock HD4890XTs like the Sapphire "OC" or Powercolor "Plus" models, which are known to be more economical despite the higher stock clocks running so long as you kept things well cooled and didn't find some more 12V-sinks like a juicy RAID array or gigantic high-wattage cooling arrays :) But yeah, it'd be tight, and if you wanted to add more gubbins and/or OC/voltmod harder (nowadays you can voltmod many high-end cards via BIOS just like a CPU) you'd need a good 750W, and if you did both and/or heavy voltmods, or were OCing a 125W Phenom like the X4-955BE it's 850W FTW. Thankfully there's some killer Seasonic/CWT/Delta 850W units on the market but the prices are pretty brutal.
    Effluo wrote:
    I've seen quite a few benchmarks and it really seems that all AMD processors are way of the pace of the core two duos!!!

First, that's 65nm Phenoms. Second, the overall average is 10% off the C2D, helluva improvement over the Athlon :P Third, the TLB bug generated a huge amount of anti-AMD sentiment, and a lot of the reviews back then were done by pro-Intel sites and used exceedingly dubious test strategies or made it up as they went along (money talks :()

Finally, unlike the 45nm version the original Phenom was just, well, "meh". Power per clock wasn't the big issue, the inability to efficiently hit speeds capable of coming even close to the E6600/6700 was. The 45nm chips don't just achieve near-parity with the 45nm C2Ds but also hit solid speeds so there's no real gap between the two, plus they boast very keen pricing.

Solitaire wrote: »
    *cough*Antec Signature 850W*cough* :D
    In reality if you could get a good 650W with 4*PCIe you probably could get a moderately OCd X3-720 (i.e. no insane voltmodding!) and two stock HD4890XTs like the Sapphire "OC" or Powercolor "Plus" models, which are known to be more economical despite the higher stock clocks running so long as you kept things well cooled and didn't find some more 12V-sinks like a juicy RAID array or gigantic high-wattage cooling arrays :) But yeah, it'd be tight, and if you wanted to add more gubbins and/or OC/voltmod harder (nowadays you can voltmod many high-end cards via BIOS just like a CPU) you'd need a good 750W, and if you did both and/or heavy voltmods, or were OCing a 125W Phenom like the X4-955BE it's 850W FTW. Thankfully there's some killer Seasonic/CWT/Delta 850W units on the market but the prices are pretty brutal.
    If I'm just planning to mess with the multiplier on the Phenom and maybe up the clock on the 4890's a bit, (no extra hard drives or fancy cooling) then 750 would cover me so? this?

Depends on whether you go for AM3 with X3-720BE or X4-955BE, or stick with the AM2 setup. And look out for either the Sapphire HD4890OC Lite or the (more expensive) Powercolor HD4890Plus, they're the best of the bunch, and being based on AMD's HD4890"OC" platform are actually faster than the regular cards while keeping power usage in check.

If you only OC the X3 slightly and keep the HD4890XTs near stock you could just get away with a decent 650W so long as you could get one with the right connectors (or with a unirail get some converter cables to get the extra two PCIe)

If you're more adventurous with the 95W CPU, or alternatively a lot less adventurous with the 125W Phenoms the TX750W will do. 60A on the 12V rail :)

If you go mental with the 125W Phenoms however you'd need a good 850W PSU and those hurt the piggy bank :(

Bear in mind that once you start getting aggressive with the multiplier you'll have to overvolt the CPU, and with AMD that means you have to overvolt the chipset to maintain stability. This isn't too bad at first but once you leave the realm of "everyday OC" (usually past 3.6GHz) the voltage increases needed to maintain stability suddenly start to rise exponentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thepcgp

Hi, if you're concerned about your power draw, there's a basic but useful calculator here.

Also there's a very sweet looking build someone is doing with an Intel Core i7, it's on boards.ie and the target price is about the same as yours. You can see the entire post here. Not sure if this is a gaming machine; someone posted that the i7 isn't ideal for gaming, not sure about that but you might want to do a bit of research. It will give you something to do between study breaks ;)

Yeah, the problem is I need a monitor so that adds another €200+.
    I've made use of this power supply calculator, it seems a bit more in depth.
    It says I would require 490W with a clock of 3.7ghz (1.49v) on the Phenom II 940 and two 4890's in crossfire.
    Which seems to be more inline with some other stuff I've read. I think I'll be safe enough with the 750. I won't be getting a second 4890 for awhile anyway, so I can see how much power the system is actually drawing when I get it built.

Exams are finished so it's time to put my money where my mouth is ;)

What kind of monitor are you looking for? You could get a 22" wide with DVI and full HD for €150 - €170 all in, if you shop around a little. Phillips or Samsung too, not Benq or such.

• Advertisement

thepcgp wrote: »
    What kind of monitor are you looking for? You could get a 22" wide with DVI and full HD for €150 - €170 all in, if you shop around a little. Phillips or Samsung too, not Benq or such.
    22" Samsung is €226 on hardwareversand with the delivery price being about €3 (€30 delivery for all compenents together), so where can I do better?

no advertising.

It's not really self-promotion, I was just answering your question. And Amazon don't seem to have that one... The closest they have is this:

Asus VH222H 22" LCD TFT Monitor 5ms, 20000:1 Black DVI-D/D-Sub Full HD 1080p display

And at £150.94, which works out to €169.24, it's less than €1 cheaper, but with shipping from the UK it would probably work out a lot more. So how exactly are they more competitive? I mean if you prefer to buy from the UK, fine. But it's an Asus as well, and I've had better experience with Samsung.

I'm really just trying to help.

It's not really self-promotion, I was just answering your question. And Amazon don't seem to have that one... The closest they have is this:

Asus VH222H 22" LCD TFT Monitor 5ms, 20000:1 Black DVI-D/D-Sub Full HD 1080p display

And at £150.94, which works out to €169.24, it's less than €1 cheaper, but with shipping from the UK it would probably work out a lot more. So how exactly are they more competitive? I mean if you prefer to buy from the UK, fine. But it's an Asus as well, and I've had better experience with Samsung.

I'm really just trying to help.

Correct me if i'm wrong here but were not all the Samsung monitors in that series considered to be of a low quality(internet reviews)?

Also that Asus on amazon has a better contrast ratio and it has a dvi digital connection which the monitor on your website didn't have....

The fact of the matter is you shouldn't advertise your own stuff especially when the prices aren't that great...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

22" Samsung is €226 on hardwareversand with the delivery price being about €3 (€30 delivery for all compenents together), so where can I do better?
    The thing your link points to is the T220HD, which is HD in the name only as it's 1680x1050. It does have a Freeview tuner and HDMI connection, basically it's more of an LCD TV than a monitor, with a 5ms response time. You could take a look at the little brother T220 instead without the HDMI and TV tuner but a 2ms response time and a hella lot cheaper. (I'm eyeballing the T220 myself by the way. :D )

T220's btw are samsungs most recent series of monitors and they are supposedly much better than samsungs previous series of monitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hi, if you're concerned about your power draw, there's a basic but useful calculator here.

That tool is absolutley useless and horribly outdated. The best way to find otu the draw is to pop into maplins and get a wall plug monitor that will tell you exactally how much its using.

Anti wrote:
    The best way to find otu the draw is to pop into maplins and get a wall plug monitor that will tell you exactally how much its using.

... and then find out the efficiency of your PSU at that wattage, which is fail because you don't know the real wattage until after the efficiency calculation. D'oh. The power usage of your components can be anywhere between 10% and 40% less than the wall socket measurement but how much depends on the efficiency of the PSU which varies over its output range. Generally PSUs are most efficient around 50% load (and less efficient above or below) and least efficient below 20% (rapidly becoming increasingly inefficient beyond that point)

• Advertisement

There's another PSU calculator here that is more up-to-date and allows for more detail. If it's as well researched as the developer claims it should calculate peak load, which is as high as it's going to get.

Advertisement