Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs involved during pregnancy

Options
  • 12-04-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

my wife is pregnant and im looking to do a rough costing of what it is going to cost through out the pregnancy so we are ready for it. We took out health insurance with hibernian last august so we hould be covered as it is after the 52 week period when she is due. We have the standard cover with hibernian but i understand that you pay for everything upfront and then clain for it after birth. We are going private in a public hospital..
    Any advise on costs?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Dublin hospitals have the costs on their websites but depending on your cover I reckon about 3k.
    You only have to pay the balance and your health insurance pays their bit then you claim back what you can via med 1.

Congrats:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gefpm

thanks for the advise. I had a look at the prices on the hospital website but i actually dont know what we require during the pregnancy.
    It would be great if someone with some time on their hands could do a list of visits that would occur to hospitals/doctors etc with a price beside it for each. Tx.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you in Dublin?

Public care is completely free and costs you nothing.

Semi-private - which is a semi private room if available and you visit the semi private clinic for your visits cost me 260 euro and 110 for the anomaly scan last year.You also have the same consultant throughout.

Private ranges from about 3-4k after your health insurance.
    Private room if available after the birth,same consultant throughout.

You can claim dome of itl back via Med1

Allof the above usually consist of combined care where you visit your gp for every 2nd visit free of charge.

Some of the hospitals have midwive led units and these sound amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gefpm

yea in dublin, going to the routonda and also going private.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Can i ask a personal question? Why have you chosen to go private? The way the maternity hospitals are in ireland these days you will be paying for the same care a public patient is getting for free!! I had my daughter six months ago and two of the girls on my ward (which had 8 beds) were private patients having paid (on top of the taxes you pay to fund the hospital) for a private room but the private rooms were being used by public patients because of bed and staff shortages!! Beggars belief!!

• Advertisement

In Dublin I wouldn't go public either but if I lived down the country or near a good mlu I would.
    It is down to personal preference.

http://www.rotunda.ie/default.asp?p=pr

OBSTETRICS - MEDICAL FEES
    PRIVATE PATIENTS
    Obstetrician By arrangement
    Pathology €88.27 and upwards
    Miscarriage By arrangement
    Paediatrician €194.00
    Anaesthesist €314.00 - €351.00
    Accommodation per night €910.00
    In-Patient Govt. Levy €75.00
    A booking deposit of €1000.00 is payable at first antenatal visit.

You would have to ring the hospital for a better idea.
    Also ,you would want to hurry up and book your consultant if she is more then 6 weeks pregnant as tey get booked out really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

gefpm wrote: »
    yea in dublin, going to the routonda and also going private.

I decided to go public there. It is brilliant, I would suggest you and your wife do the same. All the women paying a frtune were stuck in the same lines and queues as the rest of us and were complaining they were paying while the rest of us got it for free. I had an emergency c-section and as a public patient, my induction, section, epidural and prolonged stay was all free. If, heaven forbid, your wife also needs a section you will pay handsomely for it! Think about it all before you decide to go private. And good uck with the pregnancy and congrats:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

My daughter was born 6 years ago and we decided to go private (long story, wouldn't do it again). We also had no health insurance so were stuck with the whole bill.

All in all the total cost was just over 7500 euro. We were able to claim back 41% of that through Med1, not sure but I think that's limited now to 20%, would be worthwhile checking.

We paid for private but ended up in a semi-private ward, another thing to keep in mind.

As I said, we felt it was not worth it and would have a serious think about our options next time, should that ever happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gambit32

My advise,is to stay away from going private or semi private,its is a complete waste of money and time,going public is more then adequate,my other half went public with my child and she was very well looked after and had stellar aftercare,at the end of the day,its the same treatment either way,only with private your put on a room on your own,which we felt is the worse thing to do,as when your in a ward,there is great banter with expecting mothers to be from all walks of life,its good companionship thats needed going through a tough experience,better then sitting on your own,with only the four walls as comfort

Advertisement